autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Road Salt

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    what are you using for a salt emulsifier? take the car to the coin op pressure washer to do the heavy stuff and the wheel wells before doing the waterless thats what i do, next time i might just bring the waterless to the coin op place and wipe it down quick right there
    I use Salt-Away. Dapper Dan recommended it last year and I picked some up.

64oz for $40some. 2oz to a gallon in a pump sprayer. Yep

2. Likes HOTSHOTS liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a similar technique. I mix Meg's Gold Class real heavy in a spray bottle then generously spray the whole vehicle. By the time I'm done, the salt and soap have become one and I use a garden hose to spray it, alternating between light misting, heavy spray, cascading water. Then wash by hand as usual.

This system works and start to finish takes less time than dragging out the pressure washer, setting up the soap mixture for foaming, foaming, pressure washing all of it off, then draining these hose and putting away the pressure washer. Then wash by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jet. What is the mixture ratio for your Meguiars Gold Class? I am always concerned about salt on the vehicles in the winter. I can actually hear it eating the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

It's still September. Can we not worry about road salt till December or so? Winter is long enough. But anyway, I'm lucky to find a coin wash still open around here after it gets below 25F or so. Pre soak in the garage with RW in a pump sprayer, then do a rinse less using either a lot of towels or rinsing the BRS out often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeloNYC View Post
    And it cost $5 to wash the salt and dirt off, and ˘20 to bring a gallon (diluted in my case D114) waterless wash solution.
    So it's 5 dollars? That's pocket change who cares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Whip's Wax. Hopefully PBMG will carry it one day. Doesn't harm your LSP. Sometimes I'll go to the coin op and spray it with WW then pressure wash clean. Then I'll go home and do RW in my garage with all the salt off my car.
    Are you positive it doesn't hurt the lsp I've heard that before and have been burned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I've been eyeballing that road salt remover.

I basically do your routine - blast the car at the coin op and then take it home for the presoak and then RW. I can't say -- in my experience -- that not using a road salt remover is unsafe. I've been blasting my car at the coin op and doing the presoak/RW for a few years now and haven't noticed any swirling doing this. I have been using 840-1100 GSM towels and basically doing a single wipe with a single quarter on my DD. I use a lot of towels, but I think it saves the paint.
    Wow that's dedication. I do the "fold back" method that people do with a waterless wash. I feel like 1 wipe per quarter would be excessive evn though I have more towels then I could ever use

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I use Salt-Away. Dapper Dan recommended it last year and I picked some up.

64oz for $40some. 2oz to a gallon in a pump sprayer. Yep
    Is that lsp safe?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very Lucky to have a Power Washer and when I re-plumbed my house as my rehab from a Hernia operation I ran a Hot water outside right where I wash all the cars.
    Works out very well for me.

In Upstate NY the ice and snow has not been letting up all winter.
    I took the mats out of my Wife's car and put them in the washing machine.

I did a extra rinse and after I took them out I wiped the drum out and ran another wash cycle to make sure the washer was clean.

Juhryzee shauw. but an ol Flatbush boy @ heart
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stittville Ed View Post
    I'm very Lucky to have a Power Washer and when I re-plumbed my house as my rehab from a Hernia operation I ran a Hot water outside right where I wash all the cars.
    Works out very well for me.

In Upstate NY the ice and snow has not been letting up all winter.
    I took the mats out of my Wife's car and put them in the washing machine.

I did a extra rinse and after I took them out I wiped the drum out and ran another wash cycle to make sure the washer was clean.
    You're a VERY brave man, my wife would give me a whoopin if I dragged car mats into the house, forget the washing machine but I oblige her concerns by doing my MF's & car towels in a separate wash. No brake dust rags or greasy rags ever go into the WM, I don't like that myself, plus we have septic system so the less chems in there the better.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to a coin op or have the ability to PW or hose at home. Test with Optimum Power Clean and spray the car with and let it dwell. Use the water pressure from the PW or hose to clean rinse the car from bottom up and then rinse down again. To use the OPC the most. Diluted 1:3 it has a good value I think. And if you are satisfied with the results buy the gallon of it. To make it a little easier and faster to spray. Buy a pressure spray bottle and have it 1:3 dilution and the original spray bottle with undiluted to the wheels and wells. You could buy a kwazar double sprayer bottle to make it fast also. Then drive home or do it by the coin op if possible and rinseless wash. There is citrus based degreasers that are powerfull and 3D and britemax has some that I think would work also.

Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast