autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to coil an extension cord

Sprinkler fitters use that knot for extension cords. Problem with it is if you pull it from the wrong end you have a mess.
    I was in the divers local out of Manhattan. We all took a rigging class and the way they taught to coil things up is over and under. When done right you don't get a$$holes in the lines or cords. After its coiled up, take one end and go around 3 times then you do do this little deal at the top to hold it all there. When its done you are holding one end of the cord.

Post Thanks / Like

don't know if the cords were already like that prior to coiling/rolling them up (the pic on first page) but they both look to have some (licorice) twisting in them...

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I am also in the professional audio business (commercial audio sound systems, Scott Hibbard Audio LLC Home) and have coiled probably no less than 10,000 cables in my 30 years in the biz (no kidding - sometimes as many as 100 per night during concert season. The ONLY way to coil a cord is the under/over method. Done properly this will guarantee that the cable never gets tangled. The key is the little twist of your fingers to "show" the cable the way as it goes over/under. Never use the around the arm method.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

At my parent's house tonight and had to use the extension cord. I was all excited because I watched that video yesterday. Long story short. The cord had so much memory from being rolled up a different way that I couldn't get the cord to wind the way I wanted it to.

Post Thanks / Like

how to coil an extension cord

Quote Originally Posted by Jowillie View Post
    HTTPS://youtu.be/eTpbh2zJGhA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the same exact video I learned it from! Lmao.how to coil an extension cord That video has to be at least 2 yrs old because it's been a while.

And I'm not sure which knot eaglefan's referring to opening up the wrong way and having a mess, but this perticular knot is virtually impossible to open up anyway but the right way. It always opens up on the side of the plugs. I don't even think it's possible to open it up on the other end.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post

One of Mike Phillips pet peeves is the rolling of the cords in the garage.

That's right.

We have up to 26 cords pulled at one time, all plugged in and buffers running.

Autogeek's Show Car Garage is wired to run up to 30 polishers at one time without blowing a fuse. Pretty cool and something most people don't consider when thinking about what it takes to hold a pro grade detailing class like we hold here at AG Comp Ready Classes.

Even tonight, we'll have 20 cords pulled for the Buick and the FJ40 we're buffing out starting at 5:00pm.

When the work is done, I teach my class to pull cords, that means get them off the floor and back on the cord cart and when they pull their cords we use the Cowboy Coil to coil them up. It's the only way to go to preserve your cords, avoid a huge tangled mess when you deal with so many cords and avoid kinking or twisting the cords.

We pull cords and wrap tools.

When we shoot our TV show and I have a team of guys, some that have taken my class and some that haven't, it's real easy to see who's taken the class when I say,

Pull cords and wrap tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That's the same exact video I learned it from! Lmao.how to coil an extension cord That video has to be at least 2 yrs old because it's been a while.

And I'm not sure which knot eaglefan's referring to opening up the wrong way and having a mess, but this perticular knot is virtually impossible to open up anyway but the right way. It always opens up on the side of the plugs. I don't even think it's possible to open it up on the other end.

Ive seen it a few times become an absolute mess and it takes forever to get undone. However Ive seen guys pull it apart no problem also. Im not saying its the wrong way to do it at all.
    Dive hoses, welding cable, cords, rope, hogging line, everything that could be coiled up over/under was and had to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Improperly stowed lines--I mean cords.. the bane of ex-Navy men.

Post Thanks / Like

Never paid a lot of attention to storing away my extension cords. But the licorice effect did annoy me. It's funny how after I'm done using my pressure washer, I always use the over/under technique for my hose.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Autogeekonline mobile app

10. Thanks Elger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite way to coil up a cord when done.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast