autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Shine Frequency ?

Is it a bad idea to apply tire dressing once a week for best look at a car show without some sort of cleaning to remove previous layer to avoid a build up.

I've been considering using a water base product and leaning towards Mequiars Hyper-dressing or any other product that you recommend that has more of a semi-gloss look?

Also if weekly layering is not the way to go then what's a good product to remove the previous layer?

Thank you !!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Shine Frequency ?

It's always a good idea to clean the tires with a stiff bristle brush(I recommend the Tuff Shine tire brush)and either a specific tire cleaner(like McKee's 37 tire cleaner)or a good all-purpose cleaner or degreaser(I personally use Chemical Guy's AllClean+). It is not crucial to do so, but the new application of dressing will last longer and your applicator of choice will deteriorate at a slower rate due to less exposure to nasty tire grime.

Definitely go the water-based route, much nicer to use and more forgiving when you just don't feel like cleaning off the previous layer. I personally only apply new dressing if I've cleaned the tires thoroughly.

Hyper-dressing is a very popular product, and I would love to try some one day. I currently use Chemical Guy's V.R.P. dressing as I do prefer higher gloss shine and am not worried about diluting it.

For you, I would recommend Hyper-dressing since you want a semi-gloss look. Since Hyper-dressing is a spray-on product, make sure to still work it into the rubber with an applicator of your choice.

Hope that helps!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys bold n bright has a mild cleaner in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest one of two thing...

Blackfire makes a very nice AIO cleaner and protectant that leaves a nice deep black finish that dries to touch.

Also what I have been doing lately is using OPC 3:1 to clean my tires only using microfibers. Just spray on wipe and dry. Then I will follow up with Optimum opti bond. I have been doing this every couple weeks when I detail the wife's car. No water needed so you could do it at a car show if you wanted. There is a video optimum made showing this method.

I still break out the hose and brushes...just not as much as I used to.

Here is a shot of the tires right after I cleabed the car on Saturday

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like "all in one" type of products for this purpose.

Meguiars M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner works well and leaves a low gloss finish.

Meguiars #40<br>Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner protects rubber, plastic & vinyl interior surfaces. Meguiars # 40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and

I hear good things about this, but have not tried it yet.

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant, tire dressing, tire protectant, whitewall tire cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

I bought opti bond tire gel about a year ago and i think its awesome. I dilute it 1 to 1 and it has a nice shine and lasts fairly long. I thought about meguiars hyper dressing but kind of like the old sayin if it aint broke dont fix it opti bond works for me and looks great so i am stickin with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I like "all in one" type of products for this purpose.

Meguiars M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner
    works well and leaves a low gloss finish.

Meguiars #40<br>Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner protects rubber, plastic & vinyl interior surfaces. Meguiars # 40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and
    ^^^^^^

Saves time/product/money
    on the cleaning step(s).

And to answer the frequency question:
    (paraphrasing Mike Phillips)

'When you want your tires to have that
    "just been dressed look"...then go ahead
    and dress them'.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

This is the primary reason I have switched to water based tire dressings. They make cleaning of the tires so much easier. I find myself cleaning my tires after every 2nd or 3rd wash. I do love using Poorboy Bold and Bright that has a mild cleaner in it. I recently picked up a gallon.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I worked with a guy at Mercedes Benz as a employee in ny.every single day he would pull is Mazda millennia s into the shop and spraywax it or wax it tires and everything .Everysingle day rain shine or whatever.I will never forget that kid ocd out of this world.one day he buffed it halograms everywhere it thought he was gonna cry.mercedes gave us limited pads and polishes.They were crap and just a cleaner wax with big time fillers and 3 m foam pad polish all with a rotary.we ordered some stuff at Malco and double team to rid the halos.He lived for this car and would eats crackers and ramen soup so he could afford the payments on the car.Never will I forget that kid he was beyond a autogeek.But he was a great worker never once a day off,and he and I use to pump out some cars.sometimes 16 in one day at the end of the month and done right no short cuts.we worked at a dealer that was very strict about the standard of vehicle detailing.We had to leave a classy jazz station on ever car new or used,and if you didn't you were fired.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Opti-Bond tire gel. I clean with Opti-Clean mixed 3:1. I don't try to remove all the previous coats. I find quite a bit of the coating comes off by spraying cleaner and wiping with micro fiber towel (shows up black on the towel). I do every couple weeks on daily driver. I could probably do every 3 weeks, but it is so easy, why not keep them looking fresh. I try for miinimal shine and maximum black (a wipe with the micro fiber towel after application takes tthe shine down a bit).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast