autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Shine Frequency ?

Much like Pats300ZX, I switched to water based dressings too. I still have a bottle of Megs Endurance Gel, and will use it when requested, but VRP is my go-to shine product. The initial shine is easy to control, and it lasts between 2-3 washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RABVET View Post
    Is it a bad idea to apply tire dressing once a week for best look at a car show without some sort of cleaning to remove previous layer to avoid a build up.

I've been considering using a water base product and leaning towards Mequiars Hyper-dressing or any other product that you recommend that has more of a semi-gloss look?

Also if weekly layering is not the way to go then what's a good product to remove the previous layer?

Thank you !!
    well i do my daily driver everytime i wash it with tire shine, i try to clean the tire but to be honest it doesnt really get dirty with the tire shine on there. nothing really comes off, the tire shine kinda makes it so brake dust and grime dont really stick. ur not going to see any brown stuff come off

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Shine Frequency ?

Quote Originally Posted by RABVET View Post
    Is it a bad idea to apply tire dressing once a week for best look at a car show without some sort of cleaning to remove previous layer to avoid a build up.

I've been considering using a water base product and leaning towards Mequiars Hyper-dressing or any other product that you recommend that has more of a semi-gloss look?

Also if weekly layering is not the way to go then what's a good product to remove the previous layer?

Thank you !!
    This may not be a popular answer here but, back in the days before I really got into detailing I would wash my car weekly but as far as the tires I never ever scrubbed them clean with a brush or anything. All I would use was either Armor All Tire Foam or their Tire Gel or both [foam followed by the gel] and my tires never turned brown... Still to this day I have no clue what people are talking about when they say your tires are gonna turn brown or whatever... My tires would look perfect 365 days a year! Lol. [FYI Armor All Tire Gel is water based, just in case you're looking for something OTC]

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    well i do my daily driver everytime i wash it with tire shine, i try to clean the tire but to be honest it doesnt really get dirty with the tire shine on there. nothing really comes off, the tire shine kinda makes it so brake dust and grime dont really stick. ur not going to see any brown stuff come off
    What's your definition of "tire shine"?
    These days I use Hyper Dressing on my daily driver and apply weekly/whenever I get around to washing the car.. For me, it only takes a few moments to spray the tires with Megs D143 and either hit them real quik with the tire brush or simply rinse the cleaner off with the hose.

But there is definitely some dirt + previous dressing coming off the tires. The only time you can truly say your tires are clean is when you can wipe them with a paper towel and come up completely clean, and that's sort of rare. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Stoners More Shine. Very easy to use and looks great. Will come off in a rain storm or when washing but it goes on very easily and thin with say an old round microfiber applicator pad - I repourposed a pack of old ones for this. It's relatively cheap and can be used after every wash.

I just applied the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura-Shine Tire Coat Kit and am so so with it thus far. Looks great when first applied, held up to my first wash well but the other day after washing it the tires just don't have the "pop" that I'm looking to have. Still dark, but not necessarly as Black and Crisp if that makes sense. I should have taken a photo.

Anyway, I just wiped them quickly with a very very light coating of stoners and they look great again. My thinking is that the stoners product may wear off in rain but the underlying Turtle Wax product will likely keep them looking pretty good when the car is dirty.

Ironically for me tire dressing is still the one area I'm hunting to find the perfect product for my needs and likes.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Try Stoners More Shine. Very easy to use and looks great. Will come off in a rain storm or when washing but it goes on very easily and thin with say an old round microfiber applicator pad - I repourposed a pack of old ones for this. It's relatively cheap and can be used after every wash.

I just applied the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura-Shine Tire Coat Kit and am so so with it thus far. Looks great when first applied, held up to my first wash well but the other day after washing it the tires just don't have the "pop" that I'm looking to have. Still dark, but not necessarly as Black and Crisp if that makes sense. I should have taken a photo.

Anyway, I just wiped them quickly with a very very light coating of stoners and they look great again. My thinking is that the stoners product may wear off in rain but the underlying Turtle Wax product will likely keep them looking pretty good when the car is dirty.

Ironically for me tire dressing is still the one area I'm hunting to find the perfect product for my needs and likes.
    With all the great tire coating that last for months..why would anyone use a tire dressing that last for a week or two, if that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswattson View Post

Definitely clean the build-up before applying a new layer. It helps to keep your

SPAM Link Removed - Mike Phillips

shining for long. You can find several cleaning and shining supplies at a car store.

Yeah, and you can also find SPAM.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    With all the great tire coating that last for months..why would anyone use a tire dressing that last for a week or two, if that?
    I actually get about a month+ from DG 253.

And I have zero problem with re-applying it at that frequency. (Even if I get lazy and don't re-apply in time, DG just seems to kind of "fade away" and not completely fail like some other dressings.)

Plus, of all the dressings/coatings I have tried, nothing looks better (to me) than 253.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I actually get about a month+ from DG 253.

And I have zero problem with re-applying it at that frequency. (Even if I get lazy and don't re-apply in time, DG just seems to kind of "fade away" and not completely fail like some other dressings.)

Plus, of all the dressings/coatings I have tried, nothing looks better (to me) than 253.

I agree. When I did my first extensive spring cleaning after winter, I noticed the sidewalls of the tires still were much darker than the tread area.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I agree. When I did my first extensive spring cleaning after winter, I noticed the sidewalls of the tires still were much darker than the tread area.
    Is that how you compare tire dressings? Side walls compared to treads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Yeah, and you can also find SPAM.
    Thanks for alerting us Paul.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12