autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

bumper protection

with much driving & parking in several cities, I need something to protect against scratches and chips. The aftermarket seemingly offers three options: black rubber/foam skirts that hang from two straps secured inside the vehicle which must be dropped and secured from/for transit, hideous black ribbed adhesive strips as on taxis, and a clear plastic film strip applied on top of the bumper. AGO seems to offer only the latter, but with no reviews. Who here has experience with any of these? I'm game for using a sealant, but doubt it would prevent paint damage. All comments will be considered. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bumper protection

Went to ny and saw those hideous looking bumper barriers on a whole lotta cars,I was like what the heck is that.so getting back to your question you live in a city with careless people and a parking nightmare.sealant will do squat maybe invest in one of those rubber things good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

XPel's Ultimate Paint Protection Film (PPF).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

⬆️ Winner winner chicken dinner

Post Thanks / Like

Clear bras will help but if a vehicle bumps you beyond a light tap it will cause the film to year or wrinkle. I love mine and have used them for nearly 20yrs but they will get damaged in an accident or in NYC type parking situations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Or just buy a junker for a commuter car if you can,and leave your main ride somewhere safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, my junker's no longer an option - long story with bad ending. After much scrutiny on the forums & interweb, I'll have the bumpers custom fit with clear film applied by the best local tint shop (expensive prophylactics), then fold down the ugly black rubber mat for parking. Car ownership in a city comes with its own numerous micro-aggressions, daily hassles and added costs. The shop offers .065 and .080 mm film thickness. Which do you suspect would be best? Many thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torsion Tool View Post
    The shop offers .065 and .080 mm film thickness. Which do you suspect would be best? Many thanks for the input.
    Most all of the top of the line films from 3M, Xpel, Premium Shield, etc. are all very good. Each has their marketing hype around various things like self healing, stain resistance, etc. but I've had them all and honestly, the good ones are like good polishes; they are all very good. I went with Premium Shield's Elite Series as it has excellent clarity and a lifetime warranty. It's clear enough that I have it on my headlights and it's 100% invisible unless you pop the hood and look for an edge. It's also a little more exclusive in terms of installers. My guy has experience with all of them and has been doing my cars for 20yrs. All custom cuts with rolled edges, thus little to no edges. Key is to find a great installer that warranties their work. My guy covers his labor too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

its best to put those clear bras on when the car is new. Wish the dealership would have offered me this option in 2012 :-(