autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rust seam touch up help ?

Rust seam touch up help ?-aa1-rust-img_0749-jpg

Need some suggestions, not sure where to post this thread so here it is.
    One of my ( kids ) cars, the rust seam turned into a crevice .... ( well just because I can make a mountain out of a mole hill )
    Wire wheeled it, sanded it down to 1500 grit. All I have is some Dupli-Color paint for nicks & chips ect... that has a small nail polish brush on the end. any suggestions on how to finish.... ? I do need some help with this... please keep in mind that I'm an old school car prepper, ( and a over - zealous doomsday prepper too ) with a short temper , bad hearing, bad eye sight and last but not least .... talk like a sailor.... right now I only have 1 friend, my dog.... MiLo .... !~ The reason that I love my dog is because when everyone in the house is mad at me ( right about now ) he still loves me ! So we are best of buds ... =:-) !!!!!

I do have a compressor, could buy a paint gun but all options are off right now since the auto body supply places are closed. I would like to paint it ( somehow ? ) wet sand it , even have some 2000 grit and try to compound it, polish & finish wax it with the rest of my weekend project. ( Veh # 5... Last car in the Fleet... to be Collinited ) this has me looking for help on how to finish.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
    mankave1 OUT !

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust seam touch up help ?

Ok , no-one ? Well maybe I'm beyond the " scope " of the sub-forum.
    Let advance the thread and it will be done , I'll share what I did to rectify the rusty rocker.... shat that sounds like me ( a rusty rocker ! ). For no other reason than to help someone else that may have a can of worms open up on them when going to do a complete detail for a weekend project.

I did clay bar it, to remove the tar & specs of contamination aka rail dust ( rotor - dust ). I have always had the worst problems with rail dust on my white vehicles, best to keep up on it, change to ceramic pads, and switch to a dark colored vehicle... (LOL )
    Anywho.... I used the Dupli-color Scratch Fix All in One touch paint pen, it's kind of a unique product which includes a prep tip , paint thin tip & brush applicator & clear coat applicator for sealing.
    I painted the area of concern with 2 coats, since I had the area wet sanded down to 1500.... after each coat I wet sanded again with 1500 & 2000 , then clear coated it and ....then cured the paint with a Harbor freight floor fan w/ heater.
    That left it in manageable condition, I'm going to Mequires 105 it while I'm compounding out the other scratches , then polish and finish the detail with Collinite 915.

Here is a pic of the Dupli-Color prep-paint-clear applicator if anyone is interested. I thought it was slick inspite of only expecting to use the product for small paint chips & scratches.

As Always... from The Kave .... mankave1 OUT !

Rust seam touch up help ?-2016a-img_0756-jpgRust seam touch up help ?-2016a-img_0750-jpgRust seam touch up help ?-2016-img_0755-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a rust converter like Correseal which is a primer. After 24 hrs you can sand and paint with the touch up paint mentioned above. Two things will happen, the rust will not bleed through the white and the repair will last longer.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I would use a rust converter like Correseal which is a primer. After 24 hrs you can sand and paint with the touch up paint mentioned above. Two things will happen, the rust will not bleed through the white and the repair will last longer.
    Thanks for the reply, it's becoming obvious to me that I'm way out of my league on this forum. ( Oh Well have to start somewhere )
    I never heard of that (a rust converter ) , with my limited knowledge I was wondering if a spot putty should be used or another rust inhibitor such as " rustoleum " ..... LOL . I guess that best describes my limited knowledge. To be honest I haven't completely detailed ( properly... according to the info here ) a vehicle since my mid 20's. So it seems that I can't catch up fast enough with information & technology/product changes. Barring what I have learned in the last month here and asking a lot of questions .... I was still back in the Rock Wool pads, 3M HD buffing compound, and then throwing on some butter wax . I kind stumbled onto Collinite 20 years ago with the help of my uncle but other than that I have been blown away with what I don't know.

Very grateful.