autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota paint correction

Hi all, new to AG forums but love the info contained here. I'm looking to correct my 2010 metallic blue Toyota Camry. The paint is in good condition albeit with swirls and light scratches. Scratches are heavier around the door handles. I have never used a DA on this car, only products by hand. I plan on purchasing the PC 74242XP with lake country 5.5 inch flat pads in orange, white, black. 2 of each to start. I was also planning on using Meguiars M105 & M205 followed up with Meguiars M21. I have been debating between the lake country flat pads, the CCS or the CG hexlogic pads. Which would be best for a newbie? I would just like some opinions on this setup, and whether this is suitable for my Toyota. I have heard Toyota's have soft paint. Thank you very much in advance for all the help. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota paint correction

Welcome! Personally I would go for a Griot's Garage 6 inch dual action polisher and swap on a 5 inch backing plate. It costs a little bit more than the Porter Cable but offers more power and a lifetime warranty from Griot's Garage. I would suggest getting at least 4 cutting pads and another 4 finishing pads in flat foam. You may want to opt for a yellow foam cutting pad or cyan Hydro-Tech pad for the real deep scratches. You can probably get by with 2 of finishing pads but it's good practice to cycle through fresh pads as you work. Clean them on the fly after every panel with a towel or brush and change them out regularly as they start to get saturated with product and removed paint. Clean pads will yield better correction results in less time. May I also suggest purchasing a smaller 3 inch backing plate and some pads to go with it? It will help for areas like pillars, bumpers, and around those nasty door handles.

Post Thanks / Like

My Avalon 2012 had very soft paint I think 105 is too strong and my car didn't really like 205.
    My car looked real good with poor boys pro polish and for the deeper stuff I used d300 but on a foam pad
    My car didn't like micro fiber pads left hard to correct haze. Paint is thin very thin
    Tape up all edges and high spots body lines paint even thinner in those areas
    Scholls concept pollish also worked great on my car s3 gold s30 +

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I had planned on purchasing a 3 1/2" plate and 4" pads also, but would I be better with the 3" plate and 3" pads? Thanks for the insight on the M105 & M205. I have heard Toyota paint is somewhat soft. I'll look for alternatives to the M105. I had planned on orange pads to cut then white l. Sounds like I may have to adjust. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    My Avalon 2012 had very soft paint I think 105 is too strong and my car didn't really like 205.
    Agree. 105 is too strong.

I've found the crimson pearl coat on our 2013 Highlander to be extreamly soft, but also very easy to correct. After delivery and a couple free dealer car washes my wife forgot to decline, the vehicle was in pretty bad shape. I've found I can easily correct swirls using only a white 5.5" Lake Country white pad and some Meguiars Ultimate Polish. I've also had great results from Griots Garage One Step Sealant. There was just enough abrasive in that AIO to remove minor swirls and really shine up the paint.

Most reputable polishes or AIO's like those sold here should easily wipe out the swirls on a white polishing pad. No need to go very aggressive on Toyota paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Most reputable polishes or AIO's like those sold here should easily wipe out the swirls on a white polishing pad. No need to go very aggressive on Toyota paint.
    I second the AIO comment. So many of todays products are so good that they really make sense as time savers.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Goliath626,

Lake Country pads are more commonly used and known entity and as such you'll most likely receive clearer answers with regards to future queries, otherwise any of the pads are fine.

I would recommend as something to think about; you'll only be thanking yourself for having plenty of fresh pads on hand, 2 of each of the 'working' pads, those that cut may prove to be a tad frustrating and may delay your results.

M105 on barely 6 year old paint seems unnecessarily aggressive, its entirely possible M205 is all you need, especially considering you've stated already maintaining the paint system to some degree.

Steve

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. Moving forward my plan is starting with M205 or a similar product, with a white flat LC pad and see how that works.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Polish or M205 would be excellent in that application. I prefer it with a blue Buff and Shine pad. Also nothing wrong with the Porter Cable machine. It's more than capable of heavy compounding, polishing, finishing, and waxing.