autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

The finger technique used to capture tiny pinhole pits in a glass windshield

Tiny tiny tiny pinhole pits in the glass

2. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    opie_7afe

Re: How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

any tricks to capture defects in white paint? i know direct sun is useless it just blinds the camera, however i have parked under a tree and that puts some light on the paint and can see some defects but not like you can with darker paints...

Post Thanks / Like

Figured this one out a while back... the thread didn't gain much attention however.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ite-paint.html
    Jeff C.

Post Thanks / Like

DO you think you can capture a real live look of the briliance of a car in the sun or in the garage better?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In you opinion/experience, can you tell me whether or not swirls manifest themselves usually brighter than RIDS in your pictures? This is particularly interesting to me because I'm researching the probabilities that swirls may be enhanced by some optical phenomena (I started some other thread on this, and I'm still researching about it). Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sparklingwater View Post
    DO you think you can capture a real live look of the briliance of a car in the sun or in the garage better?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by andres View Post

In you opinion/experience, can you tell me whether or not swirls manifest themselves usually brighter than RIDS in your pictures?

Yes. Swirls show up in bright light like overhead sunlight.

RIDS show up under fluorescent lights AFTER you buff out the car and remove all the shallow swirls and scratches. Then they stand out like a sore thumb.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use the sticky tabs meant for marking signature lines in documents too. They stick to vertical surfaces, but leave no residue. Some are even shaped like an arrow. I found some at the dollar store and will use them going forward.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote33 View Post
    You can use the sticky tabs meant for marking signature lines in documents too. They stick to vertical surfaces, but leave no residue. Some are even shaped like an arrow. I found some at the dollar store and will use them going forward.

Good tip...

Sometims I just take a piecie of masking tape, draw an arrow on it and the place the tape on the thing I'm trying to bring attention to either for a picture or to avoid buffing on it like this,

Tips on Taping Off Thin Paint and Chipped Paint

From this article years ago....

Here's a thin spot along the hood edge...

You can place some tape on the adjacent panel as a marker so you don't forget about it as you buff this area...

10. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Saw someone asking how to get pictures of swirls this week somewhere on this forum....

Check out this thread.

12. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12