autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Avatar Farm

Mike Phillips

The Avatar Farm

The Avatar Farm

Anytime a new member joins, we need to get them a fantastic Avatar to go with their online personality.

If you're new to discussion forums you can upload your own Avatar through your User CP which stands for User Control Panel.

At this time the limits for an Avatar on AutogeekOnline.com are 175 pixels wide and 175 pixels tall, usually you only want to resize images using one forced parameter and that should usually be the width, not the height.

I found this picture on the forum and then cropped out the fluff and then resized it using Easy Thumbnails setting the width parameter in the software to 175 pixels wide and the hight at 10,000,000 (you can set the hight and something ridiculous and this lets this parameter "float" and only resizing the width of the picture and the result is NO DISTORTION of the image.

The results are an image that's 175 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall and this will work for an Avatar.

If your picture is too tall or too wide to too large of a file size the forum software won't allow you to upload it.

So here's the deal, if you don't have an Avatar, post a picture of the car or object you would like turned into an Avatar and one of our talented forum members will crop out the fluff for you and resize your picture without distortion so you can upload it as your Avatar.

Or

If you would like to do this yourself, here's the link to an article that will show you how to do it yourself using an online photo editor, so there's nothing to purchase and I've written this tutorial to be easy enough for most people to be successful with their first try.

How to crop out the fluff and resize your pictures! - Using FREE online software!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Avatar Farm

Nice, I always find posts look more complete and professional when the user posting them has an Avatar.

For me I have a picture of the dash in my mums LS600hL. When I took the photo, I was lucky to be able to take one of only what I wanted, so there was no need to crop out the fluff. I only needed to resize it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, avatars and signatures are a part of what makes reading posts entertaining.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Just changed mine; I like to keep it fresh, but I may keep this one for a while. I grew up with Mad magazine and Alfred was always special!

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

If you're handy with PhotoShop or Easy Thumbnails and bored, feel free to create Avatars and post them here for others to use...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2010V8Colorado View Post
    Just changed mine; I like to keep it fresh, but I may keep this one for a while. I grew up with Mad magazine and Alfred was always special!
    Alfred's the MAN!

Post Thanks / Like

<------Vin agrees, Good Thread!
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has a picture they'd like to use as an avatar, PM me the image. I can resize and crop it for you.

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to use a pic of 1 of my cars as my avatar. Following the directions posted here, I resized the pic & it blurred, no good. I tried to return it to the original size, & still out of focus. No matter what size I set at, I could not get the pic back in focus. WTH?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast