autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with detail plan - 2017 Nissan Maxima

So I just bought a 2017 Nissan Maxima in pearl white with 2200 miles on it. Overall the paint is in good condition but is rough to the touch, my drying towels drag feeling like sandpaper. I did a quick foam and wash and then foamed a coat of hydrofoam so I could go to work for the week. Help me come up with an attack plan.

I have heard that the paint is fairly soft on these cars and am worried about messing it up. My current plan is

Wash- foam cannon with Mr Pink and two bucket system.

Dry

Clay bar or Nanoskin

One step with HD speed or Griots garage finishing sealant (which one?) Or I have access to Meguires 205. Going to be using a griots garage da with 5.5" lake country CCS pads. Orange or green pads?

Finish it up with a coat of blackfire wet diamond and then maintenance with hydrofoam.

I have one stepped a couple cars but older ones a while back. Anything I'm missing here? Iron X before the clay?
    Can you apply bfwd to gloss black wheels?

I'm wanting to maybe do a ceramic coating but I'm worried that it is more advanced than my skill at this point. Recommendations?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with detail plan - 2017 Nissan Maxima

Help with detail plan - 2017 Nissan Maxima-img_20161217_072047-jpgHelp with detail plan - 2017 Nissan Maxima-img_20161217_072059-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow those cars have changed. Your plan(s) sound fine. Any of them should work; if it were me I'd go M205 followed with the Blackfire, but I haven't used either of the AIO's you mention.

You don't need to use the Iron X unless you want to; I guess there are two theories with that, using it first reduces what needs to be removed by the clay (depending on what the contamination is), and using it after removes sub-surface particles that have been sheared off by the clay.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were my car, I'd use the Iron-X, just to be on the safe side. Depending on where that car has been and how it's traveled, I'd not be shocked to see it bleed a little. Of the AIO's you mentioned, I've used HD Speed and love it. It gave me the slickest, most glossy finish I've gotten with any product. I topped it with Pinnacle Signature Series II, and it came out awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, AIO's are a nice way to knock out two steps at once if the paint is in good shape, but they don't last very long. If you need/want to go with longer intervals between applying the LSP, I'd suggest using a dedicated polish to do the correction, and then top with a reputable sealant.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

You can really adjust the amount of cut out of boss sealant with the more aggressive pads and it's a super easy process. The boss creams just do not dust like 205 does.

Post Thanks / Like

Help with detail plan - 2017 Nissan Maxima

If you're going to use hydrofoam, do not use a polish that leaves behind protection. They won't work synergistically. Use M205, then wash with hydrofoam.

If you're going to use an AIO, I definitely prefer HD SPEED over Griot's Finishing Sealant.

Start with the green pad, then inspect. If you need more cut, use the orange pad. With an AIO, pads will load up fairly quick(especially the CCS pads), so have a good amount of fresh pads on hand.

You can use BFWD on wheels, but it won't last very long.

IronX before clay is always a good idea, but not NEEDED.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. So it would not be suggested to top an AIO with say BFWD? I'm just trying to figure out a plan to keep it as protected as possible without major upkeep. What coating would you suggest for wheels?
    Any thoughts on difficulty of using something like cquartz?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dakotap View Post
    So I just bought a 2017 Nissan Maxima in pearl white with 2200 miles on it. Overall the paint is in good condition but is rough to the touch, my drying towels drag feeling like sandpaper. I did a quick foam and wash and then foamed a coat of hydrofoam so I could go to work for the week. Help me come up with an attack plan.

I have heard that the paint is fairly soft on these cars and am worried about messing it up. My current plan is

Wash- foam cannon with Mr Pink and two bucket system.

Dry

Clay bar or Nanoskin

One step with HD speed or Griots garage finishing sealant (which one?) Or I have access to Meguires 205. Going to be using a griots garage da with 5.5" lake country CCS pads. Orange or green pads?

Finish it up with a coat of blackfire wet diamond and then maintenance with hydrofoam.

I have one stepped a couple cars but older ones a while back. Anything I'm missing here? Iron X before the clay?
    Can you apply bfwd to gloss black wheels?

I'm wanting to maybe do a ceramic coating but I'm worried that it is more advanced than my skill at this point. Recommendations?

I would recommend starting off with the aggressive wash method to decontaminate the paint. It will save you some time.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html

Then proceed with your polishing step. You have a couple options to do. HD Speed topped with Blackfire. The life of blackfire may not be as long as it is not necessarily bonding to the paint with the protection HD Speed leaves behind.

The other option is using M205 followed by Blackfire. I would consider investing in Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray wax to maintain Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant. I am not sure how hydrofoam would react with the blackfire paint sealant.

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax, spray car wax, aerosol wax

As stated you can use Blackfire on the wheels but it won't last long.

If you wish to try a paint coating Optimum Gloss Coat is super easy to apply. It's just as easy as applying that blackfire paint sealant. It can be applied to paint and wheels. Or you could look into CarPro Hydr02 for wheels.

Here's a good video of Mike discussing washing methods. Around the 10:30 mark Mike goes into detail on the aggressive wash method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dakotap View Post
    Thanks for all the help. So it would not be suggested to top an AIO with say BFWD? I'm just trying to figure out a plan to keep it as protected as possible without major upkeep. What coating would you suggest for wheels?
    Any thoughts on difficulty of using something like cquartz?

You can definitely top an AIO with BFWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast