autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to get pictures into your threads and replies on a discussion forum

How to get pictures into your threads and replies on a discussion forum

Unlike Facebook where anyone with a smart phone and a thumb can make a picture show up.... it takes more effort and some brains to make a pictures show up on a forum.

I have not written any recent articles on how to do this because in my opinion, people don't read so a video would be better. Problem is for me is I'm busy with a lot of behind the scenes projects and simply don't have the time to make a video showing visually how to make pictures magically show up on a forum.

So here's what I have... first some tips...

Tip 1 - YOU CANNOT SIMPLY UPLOAD YOUR HUGE PICTURES TAKEN RIGHT OFF YOUR PHONE OR CAMERA. You MUST resize them to make them smaller. If you don't know why? It has to do with space on a server and how fast it would fill up if there were no limitations. So you must resize your photos which has the effect to make the file size smaller.

Tip 2 - Image file names CANNOT HAVE BLANK SPACES IN THEM. I didn't invent the Internet, Al Gore did that. Here's the facts; veering on the Internet has an ADDRESS. And the Internet don't like spaces.

This will work

picture of_the_ internet.jpg

This will not work

picture of the internet.jpg

See how one has blank spaces in the file name and the other has underscore lines in-between the words? This holds true for numbers too....

This will work

90008_9987.jpg

This will not work

90008 9987.jpg

The Internet doesn't like blank spaces in addresses and will not display them. If you are reading this and have know idea what I'm talking about you probably ought to stick to posting to Facebook.

I wrote the below articles with LOTS of Pictures for those of you that don't read. I explain everything in Detail that you need to do I order to somehow magically take a picture off your phone or camera and then magically make it show up on a forum. But you have to read a little to educate yourself.

And don't use Photobucket - it will simply waste your time and our time.

How to resize your photos with Easy Thumbnails - Free software

How to upload a photo into your Autogeek Photo Gallery

How to insert an image from your photo gallery into your message

How to use Image Tags to insert a photo

How to create dedicated albums in your photo gallery...

Editor view of BB code behind multiple pictures

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections

How to expand the message box

Most of the above are re-writes of articles I wrote when I ran the MOL forum. Here's one I never re-wrote but the free version of Lview Pro is no longer available but there are lots of free and pay-for software that will enable you to

Crop out the fluff

How to crop your photo's using LviewPro

Hope the above helps.... I know it all works as I post hundreds of pictures every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get pictures into your threads and replies on a discussion forum

Thanks for posting this all in one spot. I've apparently been lacking the brains and mainly time to reliably get photos into my posts.

I've been sure to resize them before uploading them to my photo gallery. Where I've given up is that there are still times where it seems like it worked and they show up when I look from my original browser (Chrome); but when viewed through a different browser they're absent.

I'll dig through each of those threads and figure out what I'm missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Mike.

I am far from knowledgeable about computer technology, c'mon - I actually still don't own a mobile phone!!! I can however, manage to put photos up on the Online Forum, so it really cannot be that hard. Whats really annoying is when you're reading through a thread & all the darn photos are gone! Boy that's frustrating. Autogeek is providing us with an unlimited space to host our (detailing) pictures, & I believe to the best of my knowledge - it's still FREE!?

Picture inserted, easy as that.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Picture inserted, easy as that.

Aaryn NZ.
    That's cool, rub it in.

My problem is all my pictures are on my phone, but I do most of my posting from my work computer in the brief free moments I can sneak in.