autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Having issues with power lock.

Hey guys I've searched and can't find the answer to my problem. I've used jescar poylmer plus a few times now, and each time I've been getting only a week or so of protection. I've tried putting it on thin to thick. Let cure properly. Not sure what gives. Any one got a video or photo of exactly! How thin to put it on, by hand that is.
    Done it with one and two coats.
    Last time did an IPA wipe down before sealing and still, felt dry and didn't bead for a wash a week later.

So I got Opti seal, hopefully I'll have better luck with it, but also got a quick question about Opti seal, can it be layerd, and can I apply it in winter when it's below 50

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having issues with power lock.

How did you prep the car. Did you wash and clay?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So out of the 4 times I used it, 3 of those were after a wash, clay, and one step polish. One time was putting it on my brand new truck, so wash and seal. Seems all glossy and smooth when done but week or so later dry and no beeding.

Mike Phillips

Interesting.

What I teach is the most important factor to any products performance and/or longevity is,

How you wash the car.

Or more specifically, how the paint is "touched".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn't think I get a response from Mike Philips, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I personally will pressure wash all the loose dirt off, do the wheels, use the two bucket method, start at the top work my way down, and pressure wash off, then use a shami to dry. I was using meguirs gold wash up until last week when I got foam cannon.

As for built up layers of wax and such claying and polishing, should of removed it. And IPA wipe down before sealing should of got rid of the oils. Only thing I can think of is I putting it on thick, or it was just a tad bit cold, when I put it in 55degress. Also I didn't let get wet for 12 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had great luck with the Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant. There should be no bonding issues if you Washed, Clayed, Polished and did an IPA wipe down before applying the Power Lock Paint Sealant. Maybe try applying a 2nd coat?

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of one-step polish product did you use? If it leaves behind its own protection it may interfere with Power Lock's ability to bond to the paintwork. Another idea is mayhaps there is something in your environment, or the last product that touches your paint, that is masking the behavior of the sealant. Power Lock is stout stuff and will not "fall off" the paint in a week (or a month, or longer) if it holds on to the surface as designed. You mentioned wiping the surface with an IPA mixture. At which ratio did you mix the IPA? A mild solvent, depending on what is on the paint, may not be the end-all decision maker here.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried two coats before seemed to help a little, but still not how it's supposed to. I need to get a good single coat to work for me first. And yes from what I've read everyone agrees power lock stuff is great and durable, which is why got it.
    As for IPA I took a bottle of 70/30 and mixed it 50/50.

Oh and I'm using the 3m perfect-it system

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have tons of contaminates where you commute and/or park. I'm by a couple rock quarries a it's heck on LSPs. Full of contaminates in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, under trees at work, under trees at home, and it WA so rain almost every day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast