autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DA Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

DA Polisher

Hi everyone. I have to say thank you all. AG is awesome. Some people facebook....I Autogeek.

Quick bio:

Father of 4 boys. 2 recently started driving. We have 4 cars now....2 beaters, my rig is an 06 and then my wife has a 16. Her car is the reason I found you all. I wanted to know how to care for it. Apparently I've been doing it wrong (really wrong!!) my whole life.

Personal detailing is going to be my new hobby. Im going to teach all my boys too. We are going to start on their cars and move to mine then my wife's.

Sorry for my tired question but I have to ask personally even though I've done hours and hours of reading. Youtube videos too. I even listen to them with headphones when I can't actually watch the videos. I'm an Autogeek.

I've never touched a polisher in my life.

What would be a smart buy for a polisher?

First, I want a polisher that will be safe for my paint.

Second, I dont want one that I will want to replace after I get more experience.

Thanks everyone!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Polisher

You can't go wrong in my opinion with a Griot's Garage 6 in. orbital. It has a lifetime warranty, and a decent price. You can spend more and get a Cadillac polisher Rupes.

Either one should work well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DA Polisher

Welcome aboard! Yes it sounds like you're definitely interested and it's a fun and rewarding hobby for sure.

As far as a polisher, they'll probably recommend the Griots Garage 6" polisher [with a 5" backing plate & pads] as the safest all around polisher that can get the job done for someone in your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots Garage is the way to go for the hobbyist. Safe, plenty of power and a lifetime warranty. Equip it with a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads and Griots 3" HD backing plate for 3 " pads (for tight spaces) and you're good to go. Make sure you get plenty of pads. Here's and article by Mike Phillips regarding the number of pads you need-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for that link...dont think I would have used that many pads but I will now.

Any more thoughts about the Rupe and being safe?

I do want the nicest/best one I can get that will be safe. I will be working on 2 cars that won't matter if I make some mistakes before I move on to cars I actually care about

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out with a Griots Garage and did 3 cars with it. sheez would it leave my hands numb. upgraded to a Rupes 21 and its so much smoother. they go for around 300 to 320 and get the job done faster and better.
    Go for the Rupes and detail a couple of friends, family or neighbors cars. youll make your money back plus a great machine.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

the Griot's like mentioned above is the most solid, best priced, amazingly warrantied polisher u can get....and from what I hear Griot's customer service is above and beyond when it comes to actually having to use ur warranty....plus u can switch backing plates on the gg6 and tackle pretty much anything that comes ur way.

as for the rupes, I went down that road too and I got a 15 mk2 to go with my gg6....I found myself reaching for the gg6 waay more and as a result ended up just selling the rupes.
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Post Thanks / Like

Griot Garage 6" with 5" Backing Plates is the way to go....IMO GET Mike Phillips book on how to do a show car finish....that will be your bible. An honorable mention for a DA would be the PC7424XP, however, I am on the minority on that. You can't go wrong with the GG6.

PS: Welcome to AGO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

So many good choices it makes my head spin when it comes to polishers and products

One thing I do know is I'm all in. I will be supporting Autogeek all the way. I already bought $500 gift card. I should have bought 2. Not sure how far that will get me when I'm buying everything from bucket to a mitt and on up.

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned safe, so I think it's important for you to know that free-spinning dual-action polishers (like the Porter Cable 7424XP, Griot's Garage 6" and RUPES models) are the absolute safest machine polishers. Rotary polishers are certainly more risky to use in the hands of a beginner as they can easily burn through the vehicle's paint. Not sure where a forced rotation dual-action (FLEX 3401) fits into that spectrum, perhaps someone can speak to that.

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP. It's extremely popular, reliable and proven over the last 20 years. However, it is less powerful than the Griot's Garage 6" (GG6) being recommended above. I was closely considering the GG6, but ended up getting a fantastic deal on the 7424XP so I bought that instead.

But if you can budget one of the RUPES machines, I would suggest that. They are quite nice. They operate very smoothly, I like the ergonomics of their longer body, and their larger orbit means that you can cover more vehicle area in a shorter amount of time. I suppose their downsides are the cost, and the larger orbits do not lend itself well to smaller areas as the 7424XP or GG6 would.

It sounds like you're on the right track reading articles and watching videos. I did the same thing when I was starting, and continue to do so. People have spent there entire lives perfecting the art of auto detailing, so it's unreasonable to expect to learn everything and become a pro in any short amount of time. The best thing for us beginners to do, is build a solid foundation, practice and continue learning.

I highly recommend anything from Mike Phillips, he's been doing this for decades, so if there's anyone who I would recommend as a mentor, it's him. I think we all owe Mike a great deal of thanks for the effort he puts into his articles and videos, and even for the fact that he's willing to share a lifetime's worth of experience with us.

Here's a library of his articles, and you'll find even more throughout the forum:
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

I also recommend this series of 3 videos on DA Polishing by Mike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHRnHsSXZU

And here's an updated version of the videos above:
    https://youtu.be/ulWXODgg8V4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast