autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Moldy Interior - need your advice

A customer brought a Porsche 928 into the auto repair side of our shop this week. The interior is so moldy that the mechanics won't get into the car. I predict that on Monday, I'll be asked to give a price to clean the interior. I suspect that I'll only be asked to clean it well enough that the mechanics will work on the car. I don't think that the customer will pay for a complete tear-out that this car deserves. And the mold seems to be confined to the leather surfaces. I've attached a picture of the current state of the interior. Unless the customer asks for it, I'm not going to pull out the front seats (the back seats pop out pretty easily) and I'm not pulling out the carpet either. My current plan is to put on a 3M 6200 half face respirator, use an extractor & brush for the fabric surfaces, and a brush & towels for the hard surfaces.

My question is simple. Do you folks have a better plan or care to offer any advice?

Thanks,

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moldy Interior - need your advice-20161216_121019-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moldy Interior - need your advice

That's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

One of my boat detailing class alumni students is an expert at removing mold from boat interiors, I'm pretty sure the products and techniques he uses would work for you to.

I have a full day of IDA CD and SV testing today plus a full wetsand, cut and buff project.

As soon as I can I'll get a hold of him.

I uploaded your picture to your free gallery here on AGO, here's the picture "inserted" instead of "attached".

Post Thanks / Like

Wait for mikes response.I did a porche Cayman back in 2003 it was brandnew at a dealership,someone had left the sunroof open during the course of winter on the upper deck parking.when they finally noticed in March it was pretty much the same you have there.The worst thing is moving that around while cleaning.If you're not tied to the auto repair shop,I would ask 1000.00 for that.mold must be treated with the proper chemicals otherwise the spores will return the very next day.Do it right or stay away from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Moldy Interior - need your advice

If you do this please wear some type of respirator, you don't want to breathe in air borne mold, always remember protect yourself first

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

I think GSKR has thrown out the best advice so far. quote: Do it right or stay away from it. good luck. hope they at least pay you to take the interior out to work on it. good luck.
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Wait for mikes response.I did a porche Cayman back in 2003 it was brandnew at a dealership,someone had left the sunroof open during the course of winter on the upper deck parking.when they finally noticed in March it was pretty much the same you have there.The worst thing is moving that around while cleaning.If you're not tied to the auto repair shop,I would ask 1000.00 for that.mold must be treated with the proper chemicals otherwise the spores will return the very next day.Do it right or stay away from it.
    I don't blame the mechanics. Occupational hazard for sure, I wouldn't want to breathe that! Cayman didn't come out until 2006 (I had a 1st year CS) and never had a moonroof. Must have been a Cayenne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    I don't blame the mechanics. Occupational hazard for sure, I wouldn't want to breathe that! Cayman didn't come out until 2006 (I had a 1st year CS) and never had a moonroof. Must have been a Cayenne.
    Yes you're correct sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

That truck was totaled dealer wasn't able to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Champion Porsche must have been the place?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast