autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather reconditioning

Hey guys, I have a customer that wants his 10 year old leather seats PERFECT. They are in good condition for being 10 years old and getting them to the condition he wants them at isn't out of the question but they are 10 year old regularly used leather seats so... What products and techniques should I use? Luckily he's paying me by the hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather reconditioning

If your getting paid by the hour I think you are losing there.you should of quoted flat rate.when it comes to seats there are some variables like coated or non coated how much embedded dirt.you have to ask yourself what's the safest effective way to clean without taking the color off or what's left to it.I would use ultima cleaning gel and agitate with a horse hair brush.lexol leather conditioner would be a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm charging him for travel and material too at a 50 percent markup so it's not a total loss. Even if it just takes a couple hours I want to use it as a learning experience for the next one

Post Thanks / Like

Understandable and becareful with seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    If your getting paid by the hour I think you are losing there.you should of quoted flat rate.when it comes to seats there are some variables like coated or non coated how much embedded dirt.you have to ask yourself what's the safest effective way to clean without taking the color off or what's left to it.I would use ultima cleaning gel and agitate with a horse hair brush.lexol leather conditioner would be a good choice.
    Lexol conditioner is not meant for coated leather. Lexol has been quoted in this forum saying so.

Better off with a regimen like leather masters: strong cleaner ----> leather vital ----> protection cream
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

If it where me, I wouldn't get involved in this.

1. Nothing will ever be perfect.

2. 10 year old seats will never be close to perfect without recoloring them.

Don't know the owner's expectation, but he may think wear in the color coat or top coat is fixable without recoloring the leather. And, if the seats are 10 years old and the car has any number of miles on it - they have wear on those surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Audios S6;1380605you can use it on pretty much anything coated or non coated or vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

Lexol was founded way before any other leather conditioner decided to jump on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Manny years ago I used Lexol on vinyl office chairs and they ended up looking like new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    you can use it on pretty much anything coated or non coated or vinyl.
    From this thread, included is the quoted response from Lexol, and JudyB who knows a thing or two about leather.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...leather-7.html

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadog View Post
    I had put in an email to lexol and here is my question and their reply:

I have an auto detailing business and have used lexol conditioner for years. My question is that most leather is now COATED.......so is lexol conditioner really the right product to use? Does it penetrate into the leather beneathe the coating? Thanks!

Good morning,
    Thank you for your inquiry on our Lexol Leather Care products.
    You are correct, most manufacturers do “top-coat” the leather to protect it during processing. It’s like “scotch guard” for sofas.
    Gradually that will wear off with continued use, getting in and out of the vehicle. You can do the water-drop test, to see if the coating is still on the leather, I would recommend after 3 to 4 months of a new vehicle. The leather should be protected until the top-coating comes off.
    Our Lexol is formulated to absorb into the leather, to condition from the inside out. So applying Lexol will only sit on top of the leather and become sticky.

[IMG]aoladp://MA29018064-0001/image001.jpg[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb View Post
    'Top coats' on leather are pigments and clear coat finishes - 'Scotchgard' type products are topical protectors and these are not applied during the manufacturing process. Topical applied protectors do wear off with use and need to be reapplied, they are used to protect the finishes on leather from dirt and abrassion. You cannot tell if a pigment coated (finished, protected, coated - these are all names for them) leather has had a topical protector applied which is why it is important to do the job yourself . On a coated leather (as in most cars) a water droplet test would sit on the surface anyway due to the finish (it would only soak in on very old and cracked leather).
    Test to see if a topical protector works are done on crust leathers (absorbent) to prove that the product works or not.
    'Conditioners' cannot be absorbed by the leather through a pigment and clear coat finish so never get anywhere near the leather itself and as Lexol say stay on the surface and get sticky which only serves to attract more dirt. Once the pigment and/or clear coat finish has broken down and begun to crack this needs restoration work and if you add more 'conditioners' (which generally contain oils and waxes) at this stage they will only further weaken the finish and loosen the pigment. Moisture is the only 'conditioner' that leather needs and pigment coated leather needs to be kept clean to avoid break down of pigment due to abrassion and dirt (which acts like a fine sandpaper) and this is best done with products that have been tested on leather and will not in any way affect the finish on the leather.
    Lexol products were produced for saddles and work in a different way to products designed for furnishing and auto leathers.

Hope this helps
    Sure you can use it, but it's going to be counter productive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast