autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sign-up - 1959 Chevrolet El Camino - December 15th

So wish I could join you, but it's not to be. Maybe next time

Post Thanks / Like

I should be there.......awesome El Camino........can't wait
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by don083 View Post
    So wish I could join you, but it's not to be. Maybe next time
    Sorry to hear you can't make it, this is a very rare opportunity. I've buffed out a lot of cars in my life, all makes and models but never a 1959 El Camino!

I can't wait till 4:00 O'Clock today when Al is supposed to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
    I should be there.......awesome El Camino........can't wait
    I'm really glad you're going to be able to make it Robert, while I would love to savor every second of running a buffer over the paint on this car I want to share the fun and I also need some talent to help out as the paint on this car will need to be handled with kids gloves... especially any high point, edges and raised body lines.

Al said he buffed it himself after it was painted and I can see rotary buffer holograms everywhere in the paint.

The swirls are not the concern, thin paint on high points is the concern because,

Gravity causes paint to flow away from high points so high points are naturally the thinnest areas

Single stage black paint is soft ergo easily abraded which means easily removed

Put the two things above together and we all need to be very focused on the task at hand and buff up to high points but not buff directly on the high points. They'll get enough incidental polishing to perfect during the process.

I've invited a lot of the Gweed's regulars, not sure how many will actually attend, what I do know is that after people that have never been to one of these events does in fact attend they leave excited and glad they came and we usually see them again...

Mike Phillips

***Update***

I just talked to John Effrige who is the custom car builder and painter that painted this car.

He told me he used a paint line called Mipa which is a German line of paints. He also tole me he used a "Medium Solids" clear for the top coat and sprayed 4 heavy coats.

Now this is the type of information you want anytime you're going to do any kind of work on a custom car. You normally can't get this kind of information because the guy that owns the car doesn't have it and normally doesn't also have the name of his painter on Speed Dial in his cell phone.

Not so with the owner Al...

Al sent John the link to this thread and then John sent me an e-mail offering to tell me anything I wanted to know about the build of this car and the paint job.

I just had about a half hour conversation with John and I'm confident he's going to read this thread so...

THANK YOU

Thank you John for taking the time to contact me and it was great talking to you on the phone. While I'm a big fan of polishing single stage paints, for situations like this classic 59 Elky, a basecoat/clearcoat finish is the way to go.

So we'll do what we call a Test Spot after we first wipe the car clean and clay it to remove any overspray, and after we dial-in a system to remove the swirls and scratches we'll do our best to give the paint that wet-look everyone loves...

The car will be here in 4 more hours.

As soon as it arrives I'll do my best to capture the true condition of the finish, it's cloudy outside so I'll likely have to use the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light like you see Janna using here,

1954 Ford F-100 - Modeled by Janna

And then I'll start a "Pictures & Comments" thread for this special project.

Cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I miss my 59 4door Hardtop Impala

Post Thanks / Like

John is a personal friend of mine, he is a true professional in his field.
    He has painted a few full restorations for me over the last 6 years and the quaility is awesome! From stock colors to glowing candies he sure knows his sh&t.
    Glad to know I'll be working on one of yours John and it was great to hear from you today.

Anyone looking for a great painter and a real nice guy PM me for John's phone number......he resides in Rochester NY.
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
    John is a personal friend of mine, he is a true professional in his field.
    He has painted a few full restorations for me over the last 6 years and the quality is awesome! From stock colors to glowing candies he sure knows his sh&t.
    Glad to know I'll be working on one of yours John and it was great to hear from you today.

Anyone looking for a great painter and a real nice guy PM me for John's phone number......he resides in Rochester NY.

Small world.

I got on the phone with John and the first thing he wanted to know is if I knew you!

I told him "yes" and that you often times help us out with both our Extreme Makeovers and our Show Car Makeovers.

John spoke very highly of you too...

The Internet... making the world smaller...

See you tonight Robert, I'm going to go start setting up for this project...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123