autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I started polishing by hand as well. In my case, it was with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #2, followed by Mirror Glaze #9, and then Meguiar's #26 paste wax. All by hand, using yellow cotton cloths at the time. This was on my first new car, a 1988 Chevrolet Berretta V-6. This sounds like a joke now, but I had the nicest looking car in the neighbourhood. This was so early in the car detailng world, I actually couldn't get the Meguiar's products in the car parts stores (biggest at the time was probably Canadian Tire, still a major retailer, in Montreal). I actually had to research where to buy Meguiar's products (I was on the Internet at the time, so was able to get the Meguiar's head office phone number from a poster on a Usenet newsgroup). I went to the distributor, and had to convince them pretty hard to sell me the products, as they were oriented towards body shops and car dealers, who would buy the products a case at a time, and they didn't want to break open a case for me. Helped a lot when I showed them the letter that Meguiar's had sent me for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I have a new answer!

Lighting!!!

If you don't have great lighting you cant even see if a product is leaving micro marring or if a polish is fully correcting. I just used that "atomic headlamp" from TV. My garage is well lit but you still need something like the headlamp to see whats going on. It goes through a lot of batteries though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    I started polishing by hand as well. In my case, it was with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #2, followed by Mirror Glaze #9, and then Meguiar's #26 paste wax. All by hand, using yellow cotton cloths at the time. This was on my first new car, a 1988 Chevrolet Berretta V-6. This sounds like a joke now, but I had the nicest looking car in the neighbourhood. This was so early in the car detailng world, I actually couldn't get the Meguiar's products in the car parts stores (biggest at the time was probably Canadian Tire, still a major retailer, in Montreal). I actually had to research where to buy Meguiar's products (I was on the Internet at the time, so was able to get the Meguiar's head office phone number from a poster on a Usenet newsgroup). I went to the distributor, and had to convince them pretty hard to sell me the products, as they were oriented towards body shops and car dealers, who would buy the products a case at a time, and they didn't want to break open a case for me. Helped a lot when I showed them the letter that Meguiar's had sent me for this purpose.
    You were on the internet in 1988? IDK about that?

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Mr Baldone. The type of paint you're working determines all of the other factors. I have two vehicles with different types of paint (one is hard, the other soft) and it changes my approach when I polish each.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Is this a trick question?

I went with paint although it seems abrasive technology is usually one of your top ones.

I say paint because the type of paint and its condition will determine which abrasive, and pad, and to a lesser extent the tool and technique.
    I also went with paint for the same reasons you stated.

Post Thanks / Like

fightnews:

I was on the Internet in 1985. The Internet has been in existence since 1969 in wide use; its roots go back to 1964 (DARPA project). At the time (1985), there were no websites, or World Wide Web (what most people call the Internet today). There was email, Usenet mewsgroups, FTP uploads/downloads, IRC chat, and a few other protocols. My main machine at the time for internet acces was a DEC Vaxstation 3100.

It may not have looked like today's Internet, but everything that you see and have today online, was built on those foundations. I worked at a major company that had locations all over the planet, and data was being sent over the Internet between locations around the world. It was slower (T1 lines were only 1.5 MB/s approximately), but it worked, and it worked well. Data was also a lot smaller then; no video/high res photographs/on line gaming as we know it today.

I used to read a lot of Usenet newsgroups, things like comp.sci.mac, and messages were all in plain text; any and all formatting was done at your own machine, not in the messages. No graphics, and emoticons were text characters, not little pictures.

So yeah, I was on the Internet in the 1980s.

Post Thanks / Like

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I'd say abrasive technology, reason why is you see so many people that have no knowledge when it comes to removing a scratch or spider webbing. They don't know which product to use and what does what, I always see theses guys or girls at car shows or coming into my shop breaking out a wax or sealant saying they attempted to Remove the scratch/micro marring when really all they did was fill it in and later on it just becomes more visible. With out using the right product you will only get so far!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

I voted technique , but I wonder about the weather too . The temperature and the humidity . When its real humid I usually don't use any product on my car as I've noticed a difference in the application of waxes and detailing sprays . The flash time for my detailing spray changes and I wonder if I am getting the full benefit .

Post Thanks / Like

It is your understanding/knowedge/experience (=technique) that tells ou which product to use or that trying to machine polish today is a waste of time because of the humidity level. It is your knowledge/understanding/technique that tells you that a particular car's paint is soft/medium,/hard/very hard, and drives you to choose the pads/abrasives/polisher/polisher speed to use. No matter how good an abrasive is, it will work better on some paints, and not so good on others, and why those abrasives need to be paired with the proper pad, rotating at the appropriate speed, with the right arm speed, applied in the right quantity to the pad to get great results. How many postings on these forums are of the "disappointing results with XYZ polisher/Compound/Pad", and inevitably, there is either a mispplication of product (pads/abrasives) or improper usage (too fast an arm speed/too fast or slow rotation/too much or little product,/pad being used for too long and loaded with clear coat fesidue/or abrasive)? The people responding to the posting are using their knowledge)understanding/experience (=technique) to help out the original poster. Almost inevitably it is not "get a different abrasive/pad/ polisher", it is change pads more often", "arm speed is too high", " you are using too much too little abrasive"; on occasion, replies will be "get a different abrasive for more cut/better finish", or "try such and such pad", but they are far less common than the first set of suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't wait, get the rotary now. With some knowledge and mostly common sense you will not have any rotary damage.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast