autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Maintenance

Hello,

I've been using the Flex VRG for about 5 years now and considered switching tools. Had the MK2 21 and the G21 in my sights, planned on using the 5inch backing plate because I have a lot of 5inch flat and MF pads.

Recently I read that you need to oil the backing plate on the Rupes every 15-20 hours? Is this true? I would basically have to do this 2-3 times per week. My flex hasn't been touched other then light cleaning once / year since I bought it and it's running great.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Maintenance

If you don't use the washer mod you need to keep the plate lubricated because the plate rubs against the rubber shroud slowing rotation.

The washer mod spaces the plate from the shroud making no contact and you don't need lubricate the plate.

Also you can swap the 5 inch plate on either the G21 or the Mark 2 21.

However you are going to sacrifice smoothness while doing so.

Either 21 with the 6 inch is so smooth and my prefrence.

If you prefer the 5 inch plate go with the G15 or the mark 2 15

But you can still swap the plates I'm just giving my 02. Cents

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

I had the pleasure of using the G21 with a 5inch plate for a week, it must have already had the washer mod installed. Took me about a day to learn the technique and really I don't want to go back to the Flex. While the correction was about the same, maybe a bit better and quicker on softer paints the most important thing for me was not being tired after a full days of correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VT675 View Post
    Hello,

I've been using the Flex VRG for about 5 years now and considered switching tools. Had the MK2 21 and the G21 in my sights, planned on using the 5inch backing plate because I have a lot of 5inch flat and MF pads.

Recently I read that you need to oil the backing plate on the Rupes every 15-20 hours? Is this true? I would basically have to do this 2-3 times per week. My flex hasn't been touched other then light cleaning once / year since I bought it and it's running great.
    - Includes Allen key wrench, replacement carbon brushes, washer modification, and grease tube
    - May use either a 5" or 6" Pad system interchangeably
    i am the jump starter.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

I had the pleasure of using the G21 with a 5inch plate for a week, it must have already had the washer mod installed. Took me about a day to learn the technique and really I don't want to go back to the Flex. While the correction was about the same, maybe a bit better and quicker on softer paints the most important thing for me was not being tired after a full days of correction.

It's not bad on the 5 inch , however the 6 inch is much much smoother and feels natural , the 5 inch plate causes it to shake a little and is a little more off balanced.

The flex is a amazing machine I love it. However it is harder to do a whole correction on the body with it.

I've said it multiple times it feels like it's driving you and your hanging on kind of like a roller coaster.

I use my G21 on flat areas or mild contour parts.

I use the flex on contoured areas and bumpers where the forced rotation comes into play.

And you are right the 21 does correct faster then the 3401 and you don't have to put pressure down like you do on the 3401.

That is one thing that is hard to convert over when your not a pure bred flex user.

It's hard to go to light pressure on a long throw to constant pressure on the 3401.

Overall it's user prefrence and that's just mine

There's no right or wrong answer use what is comfortable for you because if your comfortable your going to do a better job.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

There is no real "hard" recommendation on how often the backing plate interface should be lubricated. There are a lot of variables but high speed and/or dusty air are going to accelerate the need to lubricate.

I put a dab of lubricant on my backing plates once a month and have never had a problem.

If you disengage the anti-spin shroud, either by trimming it, letting it wear away, or using the washer mod, then you no longer need to lubricate the backing plate.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, will be using the washer mod then.

Now it comes down to G21 or the LHR 21MK2

Post Thanks / Like

MK2 without a doubt.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    There is no real "hard" recommendation on how often the backing plate interface should be lubricated. There are a lot of variables but high speed and/or dusty air are going to accelerate the need to lubricate.

I put a dab of lubricant on my backing plates once a month and have never had a problem.

If you disengage the anti-spin shroud, either by trimming it, letting it wear away, or using the washer mod, then you no longer need to lubricate the backing plate.
    I'll echo Todd on this... I don't follow any hard and fast rules. I have my 'everytime use' steps:

Wipe down the housing, coil cord loosely, visual inspection of plate, blow out housing if needed.

Then every so often I add a little lubrication to the backing plate. Its fairly obvious when it needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

Both great machines so you can't go wrong with either. The new MKII now has more power than the BOSS tools, but the BOSS also has some features that I still find more desirable (Instant start, variable speed trigger, quick access brushes, and the nice double shot rubber grips). Regardless, the MKII now has it's place in my arsenal along with my BOSS tools and several other Rupeeez!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast