autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Essence with non-CarPro coating

Other companies obviously haven't tested their coatings with a CarPro product, but would Essence possibly inhibit the bonding of say the new Wolfgang coating? Is it leaving a clean surface or a primer just for Cquartz?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Essence with non-CarPro coating

Great question!

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I want to know. I emailed Corey@ Carpro and he didnt know if it would work with Gloss Coat or not. Chris Thomas, what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used it with a non-CarPro coating and so far so good. It's only been a few weeks, but I plan on keeping an eye on it to test it out. I feel that it will be just fine...
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I've used it with a non-CarPro coating and so far so good. It's only been a few weeks, but I plan on keeping an eye on it to test it out. I feel that it will be just fine...
    Let us know. I want to coat my parents car, but don't feel like doing a full correction, so I wanted to just do Essence and then Wolfgang, although I do have some Cquartz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I'm thinking about testing it with another coating as well. I've actually got three different coatings I can try it with. Can you let me know what coating you used so we aren't testing the same one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I'm thinking about testing it with another coating as well. I've actually got three different coatings I can try it with. Can you let me know what coating you used so we aren't testing the same one?

BEEDS HD

Pinnacle Black Label V2

What are you planning on using?
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently testing Essence with non-carpro coatings as well.

I have the new 22ple High Performance Coating on my hood which was coated with Essence prior to applying the coating. So far, so good. Will monitor throughout the midwest winter.

I have been experimenting with various coatings on my personal cars without any IPA/Eraser wipe down over the course of the last year or so, and I will be perfectly honest in that all of the coatings performed excellent. There was no distinguishable difference between the panels that were wiped down with IPA/Eraser and the panels that were not after several months.

I assume it has to do with the fact that when polishing, I am only using a tiny amount of M205 or reflect on my pad and am working it until the product is nearly invisible. It's been an interesting experiment, I wish I had some oily products like Menzerna SF4500 to try. My hunch would be that a product like that would be much more likely to interfere with the coating.

... but back to the topic at hand. I had asked Avi about the compatibility of Essence with other coatings, and his response was similar to Corey's in that they did no know because they had not tested it, but he assumed it would likely be OK because of the fact that when you're using Essence with a machine (not by hand), the friction and heat generated during the polishing process causes the solvents to evaporate or disappear or whatever, meaning there is very little residue left on the surface afterwards. The majority of that is then wiped away with your towel.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I have been experimenting with various coatings on my personal cars without any IPA/Eraser wipe down over the course of the last year or so, and I will be perfectly honest in that all of the coatings performed excellent. There was no distinguishable difference between the panels that were wiped down with IPA/Eraser and the panels that were not after several months.
    That is pretty interesting. Certainly food for thought regarding accepted dogma, the Optimum procedures which say if you use their polishes you don't need any prep (their new prep product not withstanding), etc.

Of course the whole wax-over-sealant not sealant-over-wax argument is one that has become blurred and muted in recent years because of the recognition of most "waxes" having "sealant" content, and many sealant prep polishes having "glaze" properties.

Wouldn't it be funny if most of this prep dogma came out of the marketing departments rather than the chemistry lab. I would love to hear our friend PiPUK's comments on this but he doesn't seem to post here anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That is pretty interesting. Certainly food for thought regarding accepted dogma, the Optimum procedures which say if you use their polishes you don't need any prep (their new prep product not withstanding), etc.

Of course the whole wax-over-sealant not sealant-over-wax argument is one that has become blurred and muted in recent years because of the recognition of most "waxes" having "sealant" content, and many sealant prep polishes having "glaze" properties.

Wouldn't it be funny if most of this prep dogma came out of the marketing departments rather than the chemistry lab. I would love to hear our friend PiPUK's comments on this but he doesn't seem to post here anymore.
    Exactly what I was thinking. If Essence leaves protection, why does it not inhibit the coating?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast