autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Safely remove rubbing compound w/o scratching surface?

Hi, I am using 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound while restoring plastic headlight lenses. It is pretty coarse, I use it to remove 1000 grit sanding scratches. I noticed, while whipping it off, it scratches the plastic lens. I'm not talking about the circular "normal" rubbing compound scratches. I'm talking about horizontal ones from me wiping it off.

Should I use it longer (giving it time to break down if it does that...disintegrating) or what?

I tried a MF cloth, dry, and I get scratches. 3M Finesse It #2 gets most of the removal scratch marks out, but If I could remove it without getting "wiping" scratch marks on it, that would be great.

I wonder if 70% IPA on a MF cloth would remove it w/o scratching the surface?

Idea's? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safely remove rubbing compound w/o scratching surface?

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzaV View Post
    Hi, I am using 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound while restoring plastic headlight lenses. It is pretty coarse, I use it to remove 1000 grit sanding scratches. I noticed, while whipping it off, it scratches the plastic lens. I'm not talking about the circular "normal" rubbing compound scratches. I'm talking about horizontal ones from me wiping it off.

Should I use it longer (giving it time to break down if it does that...disintegrating) or what?

I tried a MF cloth, dry, and I get scratches. 3M Finesse It #2 gets most of the removal scratch marks out, but If I could remove it without getting "wiping" scratch marks on it, that would be great.

I wonder if 70% IPA on a MF cloth would remove it w/o scratching the surface?

Idea's? Thank you!
    Why not work up to 2000 and then finish with 3000. Most medium polish will remove the 3000 grit marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, are you saying skip the rubbing compound and use say (1200,1500,3000) paper and then polish? I am trying to moderate my expenses, the 3M 3" discs are pricey. But I do also want the right tool for the job.

Would you just not used the RC on headlights?

I'm still learning, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, are you saying skip the rubbing compound and use say (1200,1500,3000) paper and then polish? Roger I am trying to moderate my expenses, the 3M 3" discs are pricey. But I do also want the right tool for the job.

Would you just not used the RC on headlights?

I'm still learning, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Got you.

But, you offered an alternative to using the RC. There HAS to be a way to safely remove RC w/o getting those wiping scratch marks. Hopefully another person will also chime in with experience in that too. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Got you.

But, you offered an alternative to using the RC. There HAS to be a way to safely remove RC w/o getting those wiping scratch marks. Hopefully another person will also chime in with experience in that too. Thank you!
    The wiping scratch marks as you call it, is not from wiping, but from the compound itself. You will need to finish down with a polish to get rid of the compound scratches. IMO it's easier to wet sand with multiple grits and then polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think IPA is going to help prevent scratches. It doesn't offer any lubricant. You can try a waterless wash and see if that helps?? I finish the sanding process with 3000.

Post Thanks / Like

Never used that product but I've done several sets of headlights and I used 1000, 2000, and 3000 grit sandpaper and either finished off with PlastX or 105, but as the above poster said, any medium polish would do.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I'll just bypass the RC on headlights from now on.