autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

buffing a stubborn set of swirls/marring. when to walk away?

Aside from a paint depth gauge, what is your method to determine when to move along from a set of stubborn swirls/marring/scratch?

I've felt that with my rotary & orange pad with a heavy compound, that after the 2nd/3rd complete pass, it's time to move on from the issue at hand. I've had a few vehicles where it seems the swirls/rids are very deep although you can't catch them with a finger nail & it's not worth taking so much clear off that down the road with sun exposure, the customer will likely have clear coat failure without regularly waxing or sealing.

I haven't been doing this long enough to have someone come back to me years later to see or hear this has happened.

For those who have been in the business for a long time, after what stage in the process do you move along from the problem area and explain why to the customer?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: buffing a stubborn set of swirls/marring. when to walk away?

It is important to establish expectations before you begin any detail.

Identify paint defects and interior stains that may not come out completely and inform the Customer why they may not be completely removed.

Everyone will be happier in the end

An inexpensive PTG may be the best $150 you ever spend. Customers are intrigued/impressed and it gives you some idea of what you are working on

Post Thanks / Like

Re: buffing a stubborn set of swirls/marring. when to walk away?

keep doing what you are doing don't kill yourself.Ive been in this industry along time unless the customer says hey do you think you can try to lightened this up or remove this stain etc.Just do the best efficient job you can do according to pay.If you get a X-ray vision customer which you will know in 10 minutes,charge for it.