autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: More aggressive compound or pad?

I know your starting out ,a rotary would be a option for a perfect finish .Da has limitations don't get me wrong a da can give u awesome results.i was never a da guy till mike Phillips introduced all kinds of da machines.now I use them everyday ,I like to keep things simple and clean no swirls and most of all no product sling.applying wax is so simple with a da. I encourage anyone thinking of getting one the meguairs gv110 is nice and light doesn't get hot and minimum vibrations.I had to wet sand 20000 square foot wood floors and it never let me down.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Never jump to polish and hope that they will come out in that step.

do a few more section passes. and get the swirls out.

also if you see little circular swirls, that could be from your compound, do not try to chase those out with compound ,as that is what is causing those marks in the first place.

the polish will get those out!

compound is nothing without polish and polish is nothing without compound.

they really are the Jordan and Scottie Pippen tag team!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Never jump to polish and hope that they will come out in that step.

do a few more section passes. and get the swirls out.

also if you see little circular swirls, that could be from your compound, do not try to chase those out with compound ,as that is what is causing those marks in the first place.

the polish will get those out!

compound is nothing without polish and polish is nothing without compound.

they really are the Jordan and Scottie Pippen tag team!

No circular swirls, so I'm not making it worse. I will do the hood again.
    Bright Red 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si roadster. Crystal Black Pearl 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Post Thanks / Like

Its great to hear a little more pressure is doing the trick for you! And be comforted knowing you are only removing enough surface paint to level down those scratches...and not more than you need to. Also, you are the judge as to what you want the finished results to look like. WG glaze is an amazing product and i can say that from use however if after trying it on a test section you don't like the appearance of it, by all means, stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Today, I did the drivers side. It did take two sets of passes. I had to do a section over the rear wheel three times. It looks great!
    Again, I used the WG glaze on the front fender. And again, it looked a little cloudy. Not much, but noticeable to me. I wonder if I'm not working it long enough.
    I then finished it with Pinnacle wax.
    Since I have some Meg's 205, I try that when I do the other side of the car.
    Bright Red 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si roadster. Crystal Black Pearl 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked WG Fnishing Glaze almost the same as i work Menz 4000 or 4500...LONG and on either a white LC flat pad or, for softer paints, a black or red pad. I work it until almost invisible and sometimes i get that rainbow like affect on my black paint. Wipe off is easy and it leaves a beautiful finish. When i say long i mean, for me, maybe 8 section passes after spreading it out. And lighten up on the last pass or two.

Maybe work it longer and see if it makes a difference to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday, I polished the passenger side of the car. Today, I did the hood for the second time.
    This time, I finished using the WG glaze with a blue pad. I worked it a lot longer than I had before. That was the difference from the first time that I used it. After finishing the hood today, I had to go back and do the trunk lid with the glaze.
    Now all I have left to do is the front and back end. Along with the rocker panels.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are going to end up with a very nice looking car.

I am new to this too and I polished my car months ago and it looked better.

Then I polished it a couple weeks ago using the same pinnacle polishes and pads and polisher I used months ago, and wow the second polishing really cleaned up the left over swirls and minor scuffs on the surface.

So I agree that additional passes will for sure keep improving a surface, but having the experience/knowledge to know how much pressure to use and what speed to run the machine at is needed too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does look good! At least as good as when I purchased it new in early 2007. So far, I done 2 sets of passes on what I've done because one didn't do it. I started to get concerned that I'd run out of polish. While it's not perfect, it's not worth more passes.

Post Thanks / Like

I know there's vids here as well as YouTube. Griot's has easy to understand and entertaining vids, check em' out.

What machine are you using, maybe the speed is a bit too low but one things for sure, watch the vids, pick up some pointers and you'll get it, trust me/us.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast