autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer
    McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer

Description: (Taken from Autogeek's website)

Dry your car in 5 minutes or less without scratching it!

McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer is a lightweight, handheld car dryer that is powerful enough to blow water off your vehicle, leaving it with a streak and scratch free finish after every wash! Use the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dyer to dry your entire vehicle, or to simply blast water from cracks and crevices, behind emblems, in between body panels, and anywhere else water can hide. McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer features a powerful 6.5 peak horsepower motor that blows filtered air onto your vehicle, making it easier than ever to dry your car while avoiding water spots – even in direct sun!

Modern clear coat finishes are extremely scratch sensitive
    – that’s a fact. You have to ask yourself this question: does repeatedly rubbing a towel across the paint make it better? What’s the opposite of better? WORSE! You can be as careful as can be, but sooner or later you will create micro scratches and swirl marks by repeatedly rubbing a leather chamois or drying towel across your vehicle’s scratch-sensitive clear coat finish. Cut down your towel usage with the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer.

McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer was designed by car guys for car guys (and gals!). Forget dealing with annoying water spots caused by water that was hidden behind emblems and between body panels – blow it out with the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer.

Let’s get to the specs: First and foremost, we weren’t kidding when we said the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer was designed by car guys for car guys. First, the unit packs a whopping 6.5 peak horsepower motor that draws its power from a 35 foot power cord, eliminating the need for extension cords and helping you avoid electrical shock altogether. Second, the air is filtered, meaning you’ll never blow dirt, sand or leaves into your precious clear coat finish at high velocities. Third, the 6 foot flexible hose features a vinyl-coated nozzle that will not scratch or mar you paint if contact accidentally occurs. Fourth, the included shoulder strap provides added convenience. Last, but certainly not least, the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer is proudly MADE IN USA.

McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer is powerful enough to dry your entire car without taxing your muscles. It only weighs a couple pounds, and the 6 foot hose is long enough to reach the roof of most vehicles. If it doesn’t reach all the way, the powerful 6.5 peak horsepower motor packs enough of a punch to blast the water off, even if it’s held a couple feet from the panel.

You’ll love using the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer on wheels and tires after you wash your car. Most new vehicles have complex wheel designs where water loves to hide, and we all know there’s nothing more annoying than drips of water running down your tire as you apply a coat of your favorite tire gel. Water cannot hide from the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer and its 6.5 peak horsepower motor!

Price:

$179.99

Introduction:

Just imagine you spent a few hours washing and waxing your vehicle. After all that hard work making your baby look its best, you take her out for a spin and just cruise. When you reach your destination, you get out to your vehicle and anguish sets in. You see drip marks all over your vehicle even if you thought you dried your vehicle really well. I know this happens to the most of us and don't you hate it when this happens? Here are a few examples:

As you know, swirl marks are inevitable. Anytime you touch your paint (whether it be from washing, drying or removing wax), there's a chance you can instill swirls and scratches. What if I tell you that you can reduce the chances of instilling swirl marks during the drying phase?

Also, don't you hate wringing your microfiber towel when drying the car? What if I tell you you can significantly reduce this action when drying your car

If you want to achieve one of these items, or better yet, all three of them, then I have the perfect product for you. Please read on.

Review:

Here are the specifications of the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer:

Here are some unboxing pictures for you:

As you can see, the car dryer is packed very well inside the box.

So what are the components included in the box? Here they are as I was unpacking them one component at a time:

Blower unit:

6 foot hose:

Connector with handle:

Funnel attachment:

Wide attachment: (I don't know what this is for. This looks like it's better suited for a vacuum cleaner)

Shoulder strap:

Fastener/Clamp:

Here are some close-up shots of the blower unit:

Product label:

Switch side:

Air intake side:

Close-up of the switch:

Here are some close-up shots of the hose attachment. As you can see, it now has a grove for a screw-in type of attachment.

You can see the offset of the groove here, which shows you have to screw in the hose to connect it.

Here are some close-up shots of the 6' hose:

Side connecting to the blower unit:

Side connecting to the blower unit:

Side connecting to the attachment:

How To Assemble The McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer:

First, slide in the funnel attachment to the connector with handle. As you can see, there's a groove in the middle. This will stop the funnel attachment from flying off when the blower is being used.

Go over the groove:

Keep going until you hit the last groove as shown below:

Install the screw-in fastener at the location shown below: This will further secure the funnel attachment from flying off and hitting the vehicle you're drying.

Tighten the screw-in fastener by using a 7mm socket as shown:

Next, mate the connector with handle to one side of the 6 foot hose as shown below:

Notice, there's another groove for this connection. This is for added security like the previous connection.

Keep pushing the connector with handle until it hits the end of the hose as shown below:

Here's what it should look like after you're done assembling the attachment side of the hose:

Next, take the other end of the 6 foot hose and connect this to the outlet of the blower unit as shown:

Tighten the connector by turning the locking ring clockwise as shown:

Tighten until you can't go any further. Make sure this part is fully secure as shown:

Here's a close-up view of the optional shoulder strap. This is very easy to install and makes the use of this blower very convenient.

Here's a picture of Nick using the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer with the shoulder strap installed:

*** Nick, please send me your modeling bill later LOL! ***

Here are some pictures of the car dryer fully assembled:

Here's a picture of the 35 feet cord included:
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

TESTING:

I wanted to test this blower on these different situations.
    1. Coated Paint
    2. Well Maintained Paint
    3. Neglected Paint

Coated Paint:

I wanted to demonstrate to you how amazing a car dryer works on coated paint. The subject vehicle has been wearing Opti-coat 2.0 for 22 months now. This is not a daily driver.

Here's a picture of the hood and fender after it has been blasted with water. Notice the amazing water beading.

Here's a video showing how well the blower works:

Here's a picture of the hood and fender after it was blow dried. As you can see, completely dry paint.

The wheels have been applied with the same coating as well. The car dryer makes drying a breeze. Just imagine using a microfiber towel to dry each and every spoke of that intricate wheel.

Before:

During:

After:

What about places where water LOVES to accumulate and no matter how much you dry it with a microfiber towel, drips show up later. Here's a good example. The front grille and headlight area:

Before:

During:

After:

As you guys can see, water just flies off when blow drying a car with a paint coating.

Well Maintained Paint:

Next up, I want to demonstrate how the car dryer works on well maintained paint. This vehicle is frequently wiped down with Meguiar's Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax D-115. This leaves behind some wax protection. If you have a coat of LSP with some life left to it, then this will probably apply to you.

Before:

During:

After:

Neglected Paint:

Last but not the least, I wanted to test the car drying on neglected paint. This vehicle is a rental and probably hasn't seen a coat of wax/sealant in its entire life.

Just to be extra sure, the test panel was washed with a strong dose of dishwashing liquid:

As you can see below, no water beading present at all.

Here's the video of the car dryer in action. Sorry but it's hard to see the water getting blown off or dry with this paint.

COMPARISON WITH THE METRO MASTER BLASTER AND METRO BLASTER SIDEKICK:

Now here's the moment a lot of people are waiting for. How does this car dryer stack up against the big daddy, the The Metro Master Blaster and the Metro Blaster SideKick.

I was supposed to use the grey Jeep above (in the neglected paint section) but it was just too hard to see the water getting blown off.

The subject vehicle I'm using for this comparison has been maintained with Meguiar's Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax D-115. To prep the surface, I washed it with a strong dose of dishwashing liquid, sprayed TarX, sprayed IPA then washed it again with the dishwashing liquid solution. I couldn't eliminate the beading completely but it has flatten out significantly.

In this comparison, you will see how strong each car dryer is at moving water and how loud it is.

McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer:

Metro Master Blaster:

Metro Blaster Sidekick:

Here's the same test panel after CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 1 Liter was applied. I'm sorry but I had a video recorded where I was showing the initial water beading then I sprayed the Carpro Hydro2 Lite and blaster it with water showing the difference in water beading. But unfortunately, that video got corrupted. So the next video is the next best thing.

McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer after CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 1 Liter is applied:

Thoughts and Observations:

The previous DP Turbo Car Dryer had a lot of customer complaints regarding the hose attachment flying off from the blower unit itself. People were also asking for shoulder straps. Well, PBMG listened to everyone's feedback and SUCCESSFULLY fixed these problems. The hose is now screwed into the blower unit itself. It's held on very securely and I don't think there's any chance of it flying off. That problem is now fixed. They also included a shoulder strap for convenience. And I love this shoulder strap. This is the main reason why I love using my Metro Sidekick.

PBMG also changed the color of the blower unit to yellow to match the McKee's 37 color scheme. I really like the yellow and black combination. The old DP dryer was plain and dull looking being all black. Now, the color combination is more vibrant.

This McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer is not very heavy at all. I didn't weigh it but it should be less than 5 lbs.

The noise level is slightly higher than 1 4HP motor of the master blaster turned on. It wasn't very loud or annoying at all.

The funnel attachment is made of a very soft material. It's softer than the ones found in the Master Blaster and Sidekick. I'm extremely happy about this because it will cause less damage in case you make contact with the paint you're drying.

The 35 foot power cord may be a benefit for some but I didn't like it at all. I wish it had a 5-10 feet power cord and I could just attach an extension cord. I like keeping my power cords clean so it's just a PITA to clean up the power cords after each use. And it's more of a pain to store a long cord being connected to the blower unit now. I can understand the convenience of not using an extension cord though. But we all have extension cords in our house especially if we're already machine polishing.

The following is a very minor con... The shoulder strap seems to be an after-thought and it is. This was an addition to help address the feedback from the first generation DP turbo dryer. Is it functional, definitely... It works well and I love to use the shoulder strap. But I just wish it was integrated to the blower unit more neatly. But the plastic injection molding for the blower unit has already been made and it will cost thousands of dollars to change that now. So I understand. And I shouldn't complain because the Metro Sidekick Professional has its shoulder strap implemented the same way. Again, this is a VERY MINOR CON.

The 6.5HP motor is adequate and effective in drying paint in different conditions.. Whether it be coated, maintained or neglected - it works! Just know that the worse the paint condition is, the longer it will take you to dry the car.

Which Car Dryer To Pick?

Majority, if not all people want to buy the Metro Master Blaster. I mean who can't refuse the big daddy of all car dryers. 8HP motor??? But the Metro Master Blaster is such a PITA to use. When I got my Master Blaster, I only used it once because it was so hard to drag it around. It was heavy and cumbersome. Sometimes, the blower unit will tilt and fall to its side. After that, I wall mounted my Master Blaster and haven't used it since. I bought my Metro Blaster Sidekick and I used that more even if it's less powerful. I like the Sidekick more because it's so convenient to use...

Let's talk about cost. Right now, the McKee's 37 Dryer is priced at $179.99. The Metro Master Blaster is priced at $339.99 and the Metro Blaster Sidekick at $99.99. But when you think about it, the Metro Master Blaster isn't really $339.99. It costs more. You require a 20A outlet to run the Master Blaster. I paid $125 to have a 20A outlet installed. Costs to install this will vary but what I'm trying to say is there's a hidden cost to owning and operating the Master Blaster.

The McKee's 37 Dryer is rated at 6.5HP. While it's lower than the Master Blaster's 8HP, I feel that 6.5HP is adequate for what we need. I think this specification was picked so that a 20A outlet isn't required.

I would compare the Metro Blaster Sidekick to a Chevy Cruze, the McKee's 37 Turbo Dryer to a Chevrolet Corvette and the Metro Master Blaster to a Chevrolet Corvette Z06. The Corvette is definitely faster and more powerful than the Cruze. Yes the Z06 has more power and faster than the standard Corvette but the standard Corvette is good enough for what we need in the streets.

So I would rank the car dryers tested in the following order (based on performance/price and convenience of use):
    1. McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer
    2. Metro Blaster Sidekick
    3. Metro Master Blaster

How strongly do I believe this? I put up my Master Blaster on sale right now.

Conclusion:

If you're looking for a car dryer to help eliminate the chances of swirling your car, eliminate drips after washing the car and eliminate the constant wringing of your towels during drying, I would highly recommend you consider the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer. The performance it offers for the price can't be beat. In addition, it's so easy and convenient to use. PBMG listened to the customers feedback and improved on it. You really can't go wrong with this car dryer.

Hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.

3. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Damn Marc. These reviews keep getting better and better! PBMG must have you on the pay roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Well documented with photos and videos.

The one issue I have with my DP Turbo Dryer is that the area where the hose ends prior to the handle/funnel connector is compromised. Causing the air pressure to be weaker as it leaks out of the tube. Kind of a disappointment after only a handful of usage. Other than that it works ok.

As you stated the strap looks like an after thought. But at the same time it does appear to help with convenience by freeing up one hand. These additions are nice but not enough to make me spend more money to replace the DP version.

I will pose a question for Nick and that is if there is any way that the DP version can be retrofitted with the new additions to the McKee's version?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

I will pose a question for Nick and that is if there is any way that the DP version can be retrofitted with the new additions to the McKee's version?
    Interested in this as well. Would love to mod my DP version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Damn Marc. These reviews keep getting better and better! PBMG must have you on the pay roll.
    I like reviewers who aren't on the pay roll.... More honest feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

I don't like the stirring the pot,
    But honestly guys...$180.

My DP was 100 and worth about that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcaustin87 View Post
    I like reviewers who aren't on the pay roll.... More honest feedback.
    Not quite sure if you misunderstood my post. I have always valued Marc's reviews since I've joined this forum and almost every time I read a new one, I end up buying what he reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Thank you so much Don! I just try to write what my thoughts are on the product.

How I wish I was on the payroll. The employee discount alone is worth it hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice review. Well documented with photos and videos.

The one issue I have with my DP Turbo Dryer is that the area where the hose ends prior to the handle/funnel connector is compromised. Causing the air pressure to be weaker as it leaks out of the tube. Kind of a disappointment after only a handful of usage. Other than that it works ok.

As you stated the strap looks like an after thought. But at the same time it does appear to help with convenience by freeing up one hand. These additions are nice but not enough to make me spend more money to replace the DP version.
    Thank you Mike! I appreciate it.

I didn't feel any air leaks on mine. But we'll see the more I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Great review.

I don't like the stirring the pot,
    But honestly guys...$180.

My DP was 100 and worth about that
    Thanks spazzz.

Well it was $160 when it first came out. Then add some discounts on top of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc - great review. I'm waiting for my new toy (turbo car dryer) to be delivered.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast