autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A simple question

can I layer collinite 467 and how long to wait between layers.
    can I layer cg 1000p and how hong to wait between layers
    can I layer 3m perfect it how long to wait
    I bougt some cg blitz and confussed when to use product Thank You

Mike Phillips

Re: A simple question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The Law of Diminishing Returns
    (Thomas Malthus "Essay on the Principle of Population" published in 1798.)

While this theory is generally used to discuss topics as they relate to the areas of economics and politics, it is a model that can also be used to explain in this case, the complex action occurring at the microscopic level on the surface of your car's finish.

The law of diminishing returns as it relates to layering,

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you're doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

That is to say, after the first, second and in some cases a third application/coating, any more product applied to the surface is merely removed when you wipe the excess off after waiting for the product to cure.

At this point you've reached a plateau (or limit), as to how much wax (natural or synthetic) a surface can hold. Once you reach this plateau, all further applications of wax simply become excess that will be removed (and thus wasted), during wipe-off because it has nowhere to attach and layer.

Of course, this all depends upon your definition of the word "Layer". If your definition of the word layer follows that of Webster's Dictionary:

2 a: One thickness, course, or fold, laid or lying over or under another.

Then yes, you can layer to a certain point. For example, you can add multiple layers of layerable waxes until the limit to how much a given surface of an automotive paint can hold before each additional application is simply removed, or replaces a previously applied layer.

You cannot layer to the point of developing a measurable film-build, and this is key; without negatively affecting, or diminishing to some degree, the shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color etc. of the finish

This is especially true if the product you're applying is not clear (in and of itself) to start with. If your definition of the word "layer" follows that of definition used by some on the Internet,

Layer 1: To continually build a greater level of protection with each additional application, or layer, of a wax or protectant. (Natural or synthetic)

Layer 2: To continually increase shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color without end and/or after a plateau, or point of maximum potential has been achieved.

Then no, you cannot layer a wax, synthetic, natural, or otherwise.

A good rule of thumb would be to apply two, uniform coatings of your favorite wax or paint sealant, this will insure,

• Uniform Coverage
    • Uniform Appearance

Instead of trying to build up a thick layer of wax, a better idea would be to apply the 2 coats mentioned above and then part way through the winter, find a way to wash and re-wax the car. If climatic conditions don't allow for this then take heart in that modern clear coats are pretty resilient from attack in the first place, at least compared to paint technology of yesterday.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

That is 3 questions.

1. I think you meant collinite 476 not 467? Yes you can layer it, wait till it dries and remove the haze then layer another

2. I dont know what the CG product your talking about is

3. 3M perfect-it I thought was a polish? You cant "layer" polish really. You can polish again if youre not happy I suppose but I would use a compound if the polish didnt do what you wanted.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

The "Law of diminishing returns" is one I agree with, however, some believe there's a "yellowing" effect when too much wax is layered.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo102 View Post
    can I layer collinite 467 and how long to wait between layers.
    can I layer cg 1000p and how hong to wait between layers
    can I layer 3m perfect it how long to wait
    As to:
    -Collinite #476
    -Never heard of cg1000p...Did you mean: FK 1000P?
    -3M Perfect-It (Show Car Wax?)

IMHO:
    Multiple layers of these products
    are really not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo102 View Post
    I bougt some cg blitz and confussed when to use product
    •This is a Spray Sealant:
    -Apply to clean paint.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti