autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Surface Preparation -

Paint Surface Preparation (Prep):
    The most important first step in the process of paint surface detailing is diagnosing the paint surface; type of clear coat or single stage, paint thickness, composition (hard / soft) surface condition and choice of polish / compound for correction / renovation level required (or possible), correct surface preparation for product(s) used and then applying a suitable glaze, wax or polymer sealant dependant upon level of finish required.

No matter what product is used it can only reflect what in underneath it-

1. Car wash concentrate- removes dirt / dust / road grime
    2. Detailer’s clay- removes surface contaminates that cannot be removed by washing
    3. Prepare paint for polishing, compounding - Hi-Temp's Prep Wash (removes silicone, oils, etc)
    Machine polish abrasion choice is dependant upon condition of paint surface
    4. Machine polish 1- heavy abrasives (deep scratches -1,000 grit)
    5. Machine polish 2- medium abrasives (medium to light scratches -2,000 – 2,500 grit)
    6. Machine polish 3- light abrasives (light surface imperfections – 2,500 – 3,000 grit)
    7. Check paint surface - Menzerna Top Inspection or 1:1 solution isopropyl alcohol / distilled water
    8. Final paint surface prep - chemical (solvent) cleaner- to remove any oils / waxes / silicone

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=3]Silicone Removal (Especially important for Menz polishes):
    Preparation- if previously applied products containing silicone have been used, apply a silicone oil / wax remover (solvent) to remove as much of the silicon as possible before polishing.

Polishing - when a silicon-free polish works on the paint surface it uses aluminium oxide particles, suspended in water and hydrocarbons and a mechanical process (polishing) to abrade the paint surface to the base level of the scratch. Silicon cannot be removed by mechanical means; silicone can only be removed with chemicals (solvents). If it is not removed the silicon mixes with the paint dust and polish powder and it creates a smear on the paint.

We should differentiate between swirl marks in the silicon layer and swirl marks in the paint surface underneath. Some polishes may appear to remove the swirl marks in the paint but are really only working on the layer of silicon, so the swirl marks in the paint surface remain unaffected by polishing.

Use Hi-Temp's Prep Wash to prepare a paint surface for polishing, compounding, wax and / or polymer sealant application (especially if changing from a wax to a polymer product) this is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior paint surface, residue from polishing products accumulate in crevices, around handles, wiper arms, on trim, luggage racks, and aerodynamics. Hi-Temp's Prep Wash flows into these hard-to-reach areas and dissolves the build-up.

Body shops use Hi-Temp's Prep Wash to cleanse the finish before painting, and you can use it after buffing or levelling applications. It prepares the surface for the proper bonding of waxes, glazes and paint sealants. If this is not done properly, applied products may not bond, which will cause heavy streaking.

[FONT=Times New Roman]It may be diluted, but is always used sparingly at any strength. Mist a cloth or sponge and wipe over the surface. Wipe dry with a clean towel. Hi-Temp's Prep Wash -
    Last edited by ScottB; 09-07-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    please no links to competitors products, post is valid so it stays as hi-temp can easily be exchanged for more than a dozen product lines that AG supports.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    If you name them I'd have no problem in including them, as you know I have no affiliation with/ connections with car care product vendors, I just name what I know works. But as you rightly suggest there may be alternatives that work equally well

Post Thanks / Like
    Yepp, we need names killr....
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    The text is clearly copy/pasted from somewhere else. It is not original text whatever the intentions. I think this is what set the alarm bells off.

Just MHO,
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant wait until your book on detailing comes into print again.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The text is clearly copy/pasted from somewhere else. It is not original text whatever the intentions. I think this is what set the alarm bells off.

Just MHO,
    You're right! It's from TOGWT's book.
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    He has a book?????????
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    “Automotive Detailing Inside & Out, A Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist"– by Jon Miller aka TOGWT™

I hope to have it for sale on my website TOGWT.com end September - Early October

My private stash was used for about 5 years to answer forum questions, then I decide to put all the answers / information in a 260 page book form and e-publish it.

It's not just a How-To but a Why as well, but if you read any of my forum posts / threads you'll know what I mean

I copied this from a post that TOGWT made.
    Here's the link. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post131738
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMINUS View Post
    Cant wait until your book on detailing comes into print again.......
    Got any more info on it?