autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A new revenue chain

Thinking of adding a new service. Right now I'm between coatings and chip repair. I think chip repair would be the most profitable, with the least amount of investment and labor. Thoughts from any one offering either?

Jacksonville Auto Detailing - Home
    www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A new revenue chain

Strange you should bring this up. My friend who own's his own detail shop and I are talking about doing the same thing. We will keep his detailing shop opened for just that but with the size of his shop and then the size of my home shop, there is plenty of room in both to do this type of work.

Have you taken a look at a link called ColorChip? I bought one of their chip repair kits. You just send them the VIN # of the vehicle and you will get the EXACT same paint from the factory that is on the vehicle. Nothing like those little cheap bottles of touch up paint. Tried this method on my 2015 Rubicon (White). Bigger tires were throwing rocks against both back fenders. Additionally I got a huge chip that went all the way down to bare metal that was right in the middle of the hood ~ an 18 wheeler through a rock. Using their method, you now can not tell where I repaired all of these chips.

Of course, there are many other methods of repairing chips. The internet is full of that info plus the video's. It's not that big of a chore to do. The money can be better than a regular detail. Additionally, it is not all that time consuming. If you don't have a business like that where you live then spend some money on advertising and let the money start rolling in.

You may want to start out doing just daily driver vehicles. Once you get the hang of it, the big money is with the high dollar vehicles ~ Doctors, Dentists, Attorney's. etc. Later on, if your business is booming, invest in a nice new sized trailer. Get the outside painted the way you want so it will catch people's eyes. Put your equipment in there, hook it up to a nicely detailed pick-up and advertise you make "house calls or will come to a business." My friend and I have already bought a nice, large, white trailer and now waiting for the right paint job on the outside. It will be set up for not only portable detailing but also for chip repair work.

Take your time, think every little detail through, thoroughly, check the local market to see if the work is there. You now have a thought that should turn into a goal and once you have made up your mind then just go for it.

First impressions are absolutely necessary so make sure your shop and vehicle are always shined. Wear professional looking work clothes, have an estimate book with you at all times, get some business cards made up. Also, don't sit back and wait for a client to come to you. If you have time in the day or early evenings (not at dinner time ~ people hate that), start making some cold phone calls to prospective business's.

Just remember this. The first year of any new business will be the hardest. Instead of eating steaks, you will be eating beans. IF you make it to year five, it's a proven fact that a business will then survive if correctly ran. You've got a great idea ~ now just run with it. The best of luck to you. Good things come to those who are patient.

Post Thanks / Like

A new revenue chain

Thanks for the reply, all good advise. I've been detailing now for 5 years so hopefully my 5 year plan is working lol. I've taken many classes and added PDR 3 years ago, but I'm always looking for different angles for profit. I'm part time since I'm in the military but my free days are typically booked up 2 weeks out. When I started I was just making around $7 an hour. Now I'm upset when I don't hit $30. Check out my website link if you get a chance. I'm an Internet Ninja and believe that is your best tool for business. I still hit up the occasional car show but online is the best bang for your time investment. Good luck to you and your friend sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to be.

www.JaxDetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely say chip and scratch repair. It doesn't get you 100% but it does make it a hell of a lot better than it was.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much interior work you do, but the DrivePur system is a great up sell opportunity if you do a lot of nasty interiors. Big up front investment, but after you amortize the machine and initial chemicals, it is great profit margins for very little time and labor. There is a huge market for smoke odor/odor removal/sanitizing treatments.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sweatthedetails, nice website. I've got some people in Jax I'm going to try to send your way.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a lot of things about DrivePur, going to have to look into it.

www.JaxDetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do chip repair. I hate how touch up paint look and don't really wanna be associated with it. Repaing scratches is something you should learn to do. Many scratches can be removed to perfection. Takes a little while sanding with 3000 grit paper then correcting and polishing but the results are excellent. If a scratch is too deep, I remove all that can be removed and suggest to the client to get a color matched touch up paint stick and apply some on the remaining scratch(es). At first I did it for them but touch up paint takes for ever to dry and I am not gonna go there 3 days in a row to apply a little paint each time.

Pro kits have paint that dry very fast and you can mix your own colors but they cost 1000$ and up. I don't know if there is enough business doing these repairs to justify such an expense.