autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

So, has anyone noticed?

I've found that several detailers in general are dropping their line of Opti-Coat Pro from their services. Many local detailers within Texas and elsewhere.

Most are now offering CQuartz. Just thought it was interesting.
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, has anyone noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by TFTADetail View Post
    I've found that several detailers in general are dropping their line of Opti-Coat Pro from their services. Many local detailers within Texas and elsewhere.

Most are now offering CQuartz. Just thought it was interesting.
    dropping or got dropped? OPT has quotas in place now to protect themselves. they aren't sourcing this stuff from Asia like mostly everyone else so it's in their best interest to protect themselves as much as possible so they can continue to do what they do here...and also protect the installers who truly want to offer OPT...vs. those who want to use the OPT referral to switch to a different coating that may be cheaper, have a weaker warranty or a host of other differences. and it doesn't even have to be another brand - OPT wanted to protect against detailers being promoted as a pro yet switching the customer to a cheaper consumer OPT coating under the guise of OCP.

makes sense to me.

as a CQ installer, will this affect your business?

imo thinning the heard opens the door for you if you want to carry Opti-Coat as there are some customers who insist on it and if you don't have it, will go elsewhere.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    dropping or got dropped? OPT has quotas in place now to protect themselves. they aren't sourcing this stuff from Asia like mostly everyone else so it's in their best interest to protect themselves as much as possible so they can continue to do what they do here...and also protect the installers who truly want to offer OPT...vs. those who want to use the OPT referral to switch to a different coating that may be cheaper, have a weaker warranty or a host of other differences. and it doesn't even have to be another brand - OPT wanted to protect against detailers being promoted as a pro yet switching the customer to a cheaper consumer OPT coating under the guise of OCP.

makes sense to me.

imo thinning the heard opens the door for you if you want to carry Opti-Coat as there are some customers who insist on it and if you don't have it, will go elsewhere.
    I've spoken to a couple detailers in the general area that both were Opti-Coat installers. They decided to stop carrying the product on their own. The customer base has dwindled and they just don't have the same demand as they once had.

As a CQuartz installer I have had some clients come in who were either dissatisfied with the Opti-Coat or just didn't feel the product was the quality they were looking for. I personally have seen vehicles with the Opti coating and thought they looked good ..... not great. I wouldn't be a CQuartz installer if I didn't believe it to be the best.

More business for me? Maybe.
    The product sells itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TFTADetail View Post
    I've spoken to a couple detailers in the general area that both were Opti-Coat installers. They decided to stop carrying the product on their own. The customer base has dwindled and they just don't have the same demand as they once had.

As a CQuartz installer I have had some clients come in who were either dissatisfied with the Opti-Coat or just didn't feel the product was the quality they were looking for. I personally have seen vehicles with the Opti coating and thought they looked good ..... not great. I wouldn't be a CQuartz installer if I didn't believe it to be the best.

More business for me? Maybe.
    The product sells itself.
    there are ~250 pro installers for OPT that are able to sell enough coating to stay on the list. that number is less than it was prior to the quotas being put in place. and there were obviously installers who left for their own reasons, political or otherwise, such as the couple you spoke with.

so yes, the installer list is smaller nowadays.

thankfully you don't have to worry about OPT since you don't like it, there is apparently little demand for it in your area and you sell a coating that sells itself. but, are you a CQF installer? if you aren't, by offering OPT and being on a pro installer list, you might be capturing a user base that isn't able to have their needs met in your area, as small as it may be. many OPT pros offer other coatings, as you know. i give them props for being able to manage both successfully.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

makes sense to me.

Well said, the old bait and switch.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

there are ~250 pro installers for OPT that are able to sell enough coating to stay on the list. that number is less than it was prior to the quotas being put in place. and there were obviously installers who left for their own reasons, political or otherwise, such as the couple you spoke with.

so yes, the installer list is smaller nowadays.

thankfully you don't have to worry about OPT since you don't like it, there is apparently little demand for it in your area and you sell a coating that sells itself. but, are you a CQF installer? if you aren't, by offering OPT and being on a pro installer list, you might be capturing a user base that isn't able to have their needs met in your area, as small as it may be. many OPT pros offer other coatings, as you know. i give them props for being able to manage both successfully.
    Well, in my area ........ pretty good sized. Austin and San Antonio, Texas. I'm right in between them.

Yes, as a matter of fact I am going through the process of becoming a CQ Finest installer at the moment.
    I give the installers wanting to provide as many "coatings/sealants" as they can ..... props as well. Maybe I'll eventually dive into offering ALL of the sealants available on the market, but for now I'm content with what I am offering.
    I plan on opening 2 shops by this time next year. At that point I'll likely offer whatever coatings I believe in.
    I didn't say that I didn't like the Opti. I just don't care for it AS MUCH as I do the CQ.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really no surprise to me that some folks in your locale
    are dropping their affiliation with OPT:

There's at least one Professional Detailer located in the
    San Antonio area (that immediately comes to mind)
    that they are finding it difficult to successfully compete against when it comes to any of Optimum Polymer Technologies products...including OPT's Pro Coating.

Especially OPT's Pro Coating.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the location and the clientele it might be difficult for certain Detailers to maintain the minimum monthly purchase requirements from OPT. Not to mention charging OPT's minimum suggested retail price for the Pro product.

I am sure many joined OPT to give themselves a marketing/look of validity. But being a "pro" installer and never buying product doesn't help OPT.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't blame optimum for wanting complete control over their pro coating, including ensuring that only the best of the best pros have access. They saw early on when they opened it up to every Tom, ####, Harry, and Jane...that in the wrong hands, their coating would be a growing concern for their reputation. Thus the watered down, coating for dummies called Gloss Coat...and the ever tightening of their pro product.

Coatings aren't for the masses imo, despite the attempt by everybody now to market them as such. The coating for dummies craze going on now...are nothing more than hardier sealants. The "good stuff" should imo be exclusive to the pros..
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.