autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant + Wax longevity

I have been trying out different products lately, but in any case I usually do a sealant topped with a wax. I know most sealants are rated for about 6 months, but will adding layers of wax every month or 2 extend this?

I have been using Jetseal, but I question it's effectiveness. I would like to try the Menzerna power lock sealant and Ammo stuff. I usually do a overall detail on my cars ever 6 months or so and dry with spray sealant or quick detailer. but in case I have to go an extra month or so, or the weather is particularly bad, I like to know the protection is there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant + Wax longevity

Stick with the power lock. It's reputation is more than good. If you buy both, I feel, you will be buying too much product for one vehicle.
    Besides, menzerna doesn't sell a $2 sponge on their site for $10 like ammo does.

Post Thanks / Like

I use BFWD in the summer, topped with 2 coats of BF Crystal Seal. Then each wash I either finish with BF Polymer Spray or Midnight Sun ID...so I am always adding back some protection each wash. I still have good protection when I do my fall stripdown/detail (based on beading).

I do usually put some BFMS paste wax on the side mirrors, lower 1/3 of the hood, and front bumper in the summer (about once a month) to help the bugs wash off easier.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Stick with the power lock. It's reputation is more than good. If you buy both, I feel, you will be buying too much product for one vehicle.
    Besides, menzerna doesn't sell a $2 sponge on their site for $10 like ammo does.
    Menzerna Powerlock IMO is one of the best sealants around...PERIOD!! I do put a quality wax on top of it and IMO the depth, gloss and wet look is unreal! Powerlock is a great choice. Wolfgang and Blackfire Sealants are also top notch!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stone150 View Post
    I have been trying out different products lately, but in any case I usually do a sealant topped with a wax. I know most sealants are rated for about 6 months, but will adding layers of wax every month or 2 extend this?
    First:
    Both the Sealant and Wax are "sacrificial barriers" (~M.P.).

Second:
    Now whether by adding the Wax on top of the Sealant will, in effect, provide for: two separate sacrificial barrier film-layers; or act as a sacrificial barrier for the Sealant...is ofttimes debated.

Thirdly:
    Instead of going into that arena...
    I'll say that by adding a fresh coat/layer of Wax every 30 days, or so, will more than likely guarantee that the previous coat/layer of Wax has not completely eroded away. Think of it as preventative maintenance (PM).

Lastly:
    •I don't think anyone can really say for sure how much, if any, of the original Sealant would still be present when the Wax is first applied on top of it, or at any given time during the above PM-periods.

•That in itself may be enough incentive for you to re-apply the Wax before all of the last Wax application has met its Waterloo.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had sealants topped with waxes, durability,looks and beading always took on the last product used but I live in a different continent and climate so can't speak for all. I have currently tested Power Lock and BF Wet Diamond and starting to test WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO your PL is pretty darned good on it's own. If you want to try something else, (still perhaps in the Menz family) I'd say get a bottle of WFDGPS 3.0. It is stunning!

For durability between your 6 month cycle one of the very best spray wax/sealants out there is Duragloss 951. (We all know it's not a wax.... sealant all the way.) DG951 is super slick, and has amazing durability, often far outlasting the typical cycles between most peoples washing periods. If you're washing every couple weeks, even once a month it'll still be providing protection.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased the color lock wax, It looked good and came off easily. I own 4 cars, and pick up the odd detailing job from people at my office or long running customers when I did it on a full time basis. I like to try different products and see how they stack up in different conditions and washing regiments. My wife's car it garaged at nigh, my main car is garaged duirng the day but left out side at night. My "sports" car only comes out during good weather and the truck is either garaged or sitting outside when i'm using it.

when driven,they are basically washed on a weekly basis, or washed right before going back in "storage."

I'll agree the prices on "things" at ammo is steep, but the products are inline with others, just no bulk products.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Menzerna Powerlock IMO is one of the best sealants around...PERIOD!! I do put a quality wax on top of it and IMO the depth, gloss and wet look is unreal! Powerlock is a great choice. Wolfgang and Blackfire Sealants are also top notch!!
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    First:
    Both the Sealant and Wax are "sacrificial barriers" (~M.P.).

Second:
    Now whether by adding the Wax on top of the Sealant will, in effect, provide for: two separate sacrificial barrier film-layers; or act as a sacrificial barrier for the Sealant...is ofttimes debated.

Thirdly:
    Instead of going into that arena...
    I'll say that by adding a fresh coat/layer of Wax every 30 days, or so, will more than likely guarantee that the previous coat/layer of Wax has not completely eroded away. Think of it as preventative maintenance (PM).

Lastly:
    •I don't think anyone can really say for sure how much, if any, of the original Sealant would still be present when the Wax is first applied on top of it, or at any given time during the above PM-periods.

•That in itself may be enough incentive for you to re-apply the Wax before all of the last Wax application has met its Waterloo.

Bob
    I guess I've always looked at it as the sealant as a harder base barrier with a softer wax barrier on top that looks good and gets replenished more often, but all are there to guard against acid rain (got screwed last time), bird droppings, and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    I've had sealants topped with waxes, durability,looks and beading always took on the last product used but I live in a different continent and climate so can't speak for all. I have currently tested Power Lock and BF Wet Diamond and starting to test WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    Do you have a favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    IMO your PL is pretty darned good on it's own. If you want to try something else, (still perhaps in the Menz family) I'd say get a bottle of WFDGPS 3.0. It is stunning!

For durability between your 6 month cycle one of the very best spray wax/sealants out there is Duragloss 951. (We all know it's not a wax.... sealant all the way.) DG951 is super slick, and has amazing durability, often far outlasting the typical cycles between most peoples washing periods. If you're washing every couple weeks, even once a month it'll still be providing protection.
    I'll have to check it out.

Any consensus on the effectiveness of CG JetSeal?

I've noticed that when I wash my wife's car, it almost always beads up beautifully but on my car, after the wash it doesn't bead well, if at all. It will bead in the rain or when I first wet it, but after I apply the soap, the hood just sheets not beads.

Post Thanks / Like

Or $60.00 for a wheel brush!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do have a favourite, will do a write up in a couple of weeks as I need time with WGDGPS before I come to a conclusion of the famous trio.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast