autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting the run around by body shop

I had the whole front end of my 2011 370Z resprayed last Nov. now there are several areas on the hood where the paint is bubling and wrinkling. Their rep says it's corrosion of the aluminum under the paint. But says its not their fault and to contact Nissan. this fight is just getting started, but i'd appreciate any advice from my fellw geeks on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting the run around by body shop

1-When you say last Nov, you mean last month or last year?
    2-did they take it to bare metal or just sanded and resprayed?
    3-Since you didn't mention it I suppose these were not pre-existing conditions @ the time of the repaint?

My thoughts:
    1- If it was just last month, then it most probably has to do with their work or material used. ( Providing no pre-exising conditions were there which you were informed of and signed off on)
    Over a year ago? I don't know if that falls under " within a reasonable period of time" or not.

2-
    A-if they just resprayed without going to bare metal & these are new conditions from the metal, then I doubt they could be faulted.
    B-if it's due to their workanship or material used, then it's their responsibility.
    C-if they took it to bare metal & the conditions were there but were not corrected properly (without you authorizing them to disregard the conditions), then they'd be responsible.
    If the condition were not there and are just appearing without having anything to do with the material they used then they wouldn't be responsible for that.

Best to see where these are coming from ie base metal or the material used over it (Paint, clear coat etc.) & whether they existed at the time of repaint or not.

Get an expert's opinion in writting, and if it concerns the body shop's work take them to small claims court.
    If it concerns the Manufact then contact them or take those to court.

FYI, I snatched these from a couple of sites:

Aluminum corrodes but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion.

Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum (dull gray to powdery white in color), so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.

When iron corrodes the color changes and it actually expands. This expanding and color change can produce large red flakes that we all know as rust. Unlike aluminum oxide, the expanding and flaking off of rust exposes new metal to further rusting. This is why it is so important to provide a barrier so rust doesn't start.

&

Scientific discovery: Why aluminum doesn't rust: 5/00

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. It was Nov 2013. They said they were going to bare metal to correct a previous bad respray, but yesterday inform me they didn't. I kept the fact that they said they would to myself, until I Could get home to look @ my estimate and warranty (have not yet). We agreed bare metal prep was necessary and would be reflected in the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadsto View Post
    I had the whole front end of my 2011 370Z resprayed last Nov. now there are several areas on the hood where the paint is bubling and wrinkling. Their rep says it's corrosion of the aluminum under the paint. But says its not their fault and to contact Nissan. this fight is just getting started, but i'd appreciate any advice from my fellw geeks on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

This is the biggest crock I've heard in a while. I would go to a few other reputable body shops and get their opinion. Dunno if the hod is aluminum or not - either way it's just shoddy body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If it was insurance work, contact your agent. At least in Maryland, insurance companies provide a lifetime warranty. The shop I work at recently had an Acura Tl come in that another shop had fixed, and the insurance company paid us to re fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently it's too much for a company to stand by their work? Sad. If it were my work, I'd care what you thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks, I will get that 2nd opinion, hadn't thought of that. It wasn't insurance work.