autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP - Damage to Flex 3401 backing plate

Well two days after I got my new Flex 3401 I did this...

I used a 6.5 wool type pad made by Technicians Choice. I did an entire vehicle with the one pad fluffing it a few times with a spur. I noticed the head was quite warm while I was doing it but didn't think much of it at the time.

About an hour after finishing the job I went to take the pad off and realized it had melted right to the backing plate of the Flex (#*$*! is some of the dialogue at the time). Anyhow I tried for 20 minutes trying to get it off without damage but I did end up frigging it up a bit as you can see from the attached file. I think it will still work as I will try this morning with a different pad (just regular orange Lake Country). Gah frig.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP - Damage to Flex 3401 backing plate-photo-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP - Damage to Flex 3401 backing plate

Yeah, probably a whole vehicle with one pad wasn't the best thing. Fortunately you can get the OEM backing plate or the Lake Country interchangeable one.

Flex XC 3401 VRG 5.5 inch Backing Plate

FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate, FLEX

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a LC Orange pad now and it seems to be OK but man talk about freaking when it happened. I may order a replacement backing pad in just in case though.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually foam pads are easier to build up heat in, especially if they get saturated with compound/polish, wool generally has better thermal conductivity, etc. Heat can come from 3 places, from the machine itself, from "agitation" at the Velcro interface, or from the paint/pad interface.

Not a bad idea to switch pads in the middle of the job or at least let it rest for a while, and once in a while feel things to make sure nothing is getting too hot.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess it was the heat buildup between velcro and pad. The backing material of the wool Tec Choice pad is unlike any Lake Country (or other) pad I've seen. I think there was unnecessary movement that caused extra heat build up there.

Post Thanks / Like

where did you get the technicians choice pad. I am not familiar with it. Bummer on the BP I just had to replace mine as well after a foam pad exploded on the backing plate. It sucks.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the issue is using a pad designed for a rotary polisher on a DA

The hood and loop are not compatible on many of these as they are designed for the specific directional stress caused be each of these machines

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I suspect the issue is using a pad designed for a rotary polisher on a DA

The hood and loop are not compatible on many of these as they are designed for the specific directional stress caused be each of these machines

I did not realize that was the case. Is there any way to visually tell one that is designed for circular rotation vs. one for orbital/concentric motion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nibby99 View Post
    I did not realize that was the case. Is there any way to visually tell one that is designed for circular rotation vs. one for orbital/concentric motion?
    I think it's more simple to think of it this way--a dual-action polisher puts more stress on the Velcro than a rotary--so you need more robust Velcro and attachments for DA use. I don't think there are "specific" velcros for rotary vs. DA, it's just you can get away with a less robust (i.e., cheaper) Velcro implementation in a rotary application.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think it's more simple to think of it this way--a dual-action polisher puts more stress on the Velcro than a rotary--so you need more robust Velcro and attachments for DA use. I don't think there are "specific" velcros for rotary vs. DA, it's just you can get away with a less robust (i.e., cheaper) Velcro implementation in a rotary application.
    There are definitely different "specific" hook & loop types that have been developed to work with specific types of pads and papers. They vary in length, shape of the hook, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast