autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Pads with Non-Rupes Polishes

Have the Rupes 15 with all of the Rupes pad varieties and the Rupes polishes. I know they are designed as a system, but I am partial to the performance of Menzerna products. I am particularly curious about using FG400 on the blue pad. Has anyone used other polishes on Rupes pads with success?

Post Thanks / Like
    All the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Pads with Non-Rupes Polishes

Hi. I use menzerna polishes with Rupes 21, 5" plate and 5.5" lake country pads. I use Rupes pads on Flex 3401 (run smoother than on Rupes itself! and accept pressure added when using 3401).

I also may use Menzerna polishes with rupes pads, however, to date, I've only tested SF4000 on rupes yellow pad and Rupes 21, both 6" and 7" pads.

My camera died last week, so I'm only left with Cell phone poor pics. I hope they can at least illustrate Rupes 21 use with 7" yellow pad and Menzerna SF4000.

Side By Side:

Rupes yellow 6" pad runs VERY smooth on Flex 3401 4 3/8 backing plate:

Here you can see (barely with this horrible pic!) both tools, each one equipped with different sized backing plates, different pads, but same SF4000:

I was working on a Land Rover Freelander2, it should be at show&shine if not for my camera issue.

The after pictures represents areas where I used rupes 21 and yellow rupes pads paired with SF4000:
    Before:

After:

This tail light was corrected using Rupes 21, 5" plate, 5.5" white LC pad and SF4000 (few passes, ANY pressure). No stalling on curved light.
    Before:

After:

This is a general view of car. Fenders, upper and lower parts of doors, pillars and bumpers were polished using Flex 3401, 4" plate, 4" and 5" pads. The remaining flat parts were polished using Rupes 21, 5" and 6" plate, 5.5"-7" pads. All work conducted using SF4000.

Regarding your will of using the Blue pad and FG400, sure I'd recommend a test spot, but in Advance I may say it'll be extremely aggressive combination.

A tip for working the Menzerna on Rupes: slow arm speed, plenty of pad rotation all the time. I've used basically speed 5 on the above work.

Please, let me know if you need some more info.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of non Rupes polishes with Rupes pads. I recently used FG400 on a white car. The owner pulled in right as I was finishing the FG400 to see how things were going. I was going to go over it with SF4000 but he liked it how it was so he helped put on WG Deep Gloss Liquid Seal 8 and was estatic. He wants to come over next weekend and help me detail a van. He thinks I "have all the cool stuff that makes it easy." I figure he'll be gone within 2 hours. Hopefully he'll stick around long enough to get a PC in his hands. Anyway, I like the Rupes pads with any polish....Rupes or other.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input guys! I did use rupes yellow with SF4000 and it worked really well at speed 5. Will probably try rupes MF pad with FG400 on roof tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

work down to small particles and it should finish out quite nicely. Take some pictures...we all like pics

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Pads with Non-Rupes Polishes

When paired with the recommended size BP & pad(LHR21, 6" BP, 7" Rupes pad) the polisher will run very smooth!! Change the dynamics and you'll lose the smoothness. Washer mod helps with pad rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

The Menzerna FG400 works very well with the aggressive blue Rupes pad.

This combo cuts fast and finishes out like a fine cut polish. I predict you will be amazed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

This combo cuts fast and finishes out like a fine cut polish. I predict you will be amazed.

I've gotta try this combo.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Mike do you mind going into a little more detail as to how you use the blue pad?

Like how much product you use. Do you prime the pad? Do you use any pressure at all? Do you spritz the pad with any detail spray or water?

I've attempted to use them a few times on my LHR15 with either Rupes Zephyr or Scholls S3 Gold and haven't been able to get much correction.

I know the paint I'm working on isn't super hard because I switched over to the S3 gold on a Meguiar's microfiber finishing disc and that got rid of all the swirls in four or so passes ... finished out pretty darn good too I might add. So I'm sure something is lacking in my technique.

BTW OP sorry for the mini hijack but I don't think these questions are too far off the original topic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast