autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Recent increase in water hardness

Since last summer, I've noticed that our water is a lot harder than it was. The time it takes me to flood the vehicle and dry it, there are already water spots left over. It hasn't even gotten hot outside yet!

I know of the CR spotless system but is there anything out there that is more cost efficient to just use on a) my hosepipe coming out of the house and b) my 125 gallon tank on my trailer that feeds my PW. I fill the tank with that hosepipe so maybe just one system will do.

Is this something I can even bring up to the water company, we have well houses and residential distribution throughout the neighborhood. It is affecting everyone on my street not just my house.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frick
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recent increase in water hardness

I personally live in an area of town that is infamous for poor quality water management.... so what I did is that I invested in whole house water filtration/softner/conditioning with inline iron removal. I have my shop pipped with the same water and I am laughing when I hear the horror stories of orange water in the tub or .....

Can you bring it to the attention of your water company? ABSOLUTELY! but will they do something? Nah... unless they are violating the "standards", then you can seek the EPA on them and the long arm of the law. Most likely you are "within normal limits" >>>BUT<<< if there is enough of your complaining and filing a petition with your city or parish councilman, then you may get him to move some plan of action.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually purchased the Griots version of the water deionizing filter system and am pretty happy with it. The benefit is they include a valve bypass so you aren't constantly running water through the filter and can limit the deionized to your final open flow rinse. I get about 10 washes per resin recharge with water which is in their worst band on a PPM basis (600 plus).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious. Are you guys actually testing the water. In so, what means are you using?

My job involves that I test water so I am curious what y'all are doing/using.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfrickman View Post
    Since last summer, I've noticed that our water is a lot harder than it was.
    Frequently water companies have several sources of water and when they change them or change the mix, the hardness can change. It may also be some seasonal variation (I realize you are saying this has persisted across seasons but it may vary with how much precipitation there is or how cold the winter or hot the summer as runoff and melt can effect the hardness of a body of water.

Makes it hard to get the setting on the water softener right.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ57 View Post
    Just curious. Are you guys actually testing the water. In so, what means are you using? My job involves that I test water so I am curious what y'all are doing/using.
    TDS meter, hardness test strips, titration kit, depends on what day it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't gotten it tested yet but it's obviously calcifing my shower heads and faucets. Had to break out the steamer yesterday to break all the ports of the shower heads open.

What's weird is I've been in the same house for 10+ years and it's never been this bad so I'm not really wanting to dump money into an entire system of it is indeed, seasonal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ57 View Post
    Just curious. Are you guys actually testing the water. In so, what means are you using?

My job involves that I test water so I am curious what y'all are doing/using.
    Yes I do - on the GG website they had a meter you could add to the order for $20. Works well enough and coincides with when I see water spots start reappearing.