autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Life After The Military????

So this one goes out to all my military folks.. I've been pondering about getting out of the military next summer. My question(like many others im sure) Is there life outside the military??? What I mean is what are some of your guy's stories after leaving the military? I have been in for 8 years now and loved every minute of it up until this year.. I have grown tired/ fed up with allot of the bs that goes on.. If any of you guys/ gals have some success/ horror stories feel free to chime in.. Is there any military friendly jobs out there?????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Life After The Military????

I can't answer your question as I have no military background, but just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service...

Post Thanks / Like

hey man, I served 5 years in the AF working on the flight line. I am now employed at Koch working in their R&D department. there are plenty of places that ARE military friendly which is a good thing.

the most important question here is what kind of education do you have? it will be hard finding a GOOD job that pays as well as the military without college IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the feeling.

I did 12 years on active duty, and I'm now going on my sixth year in the reserves. Since I still have one foot in the civilian world and another in the military world, I see both at the same time.

When I first left active duty, it was a huge relief. I was able to spend a lot more time with my family, my civilian job was a lot less stressful, and I truly enjoyed fading into the civilian community and the normal life.

As time as gone on, I find myself really missing being full time military. When I am on Drill Weekends or on military orders, I find myself much more satisfied with what I'm doing. The work is far more rewarding. I was mobilized to Afghanistan for one year not long ago and since I've come back, that feeling is even stronger. In my reserve life I get to do some truly amazing things, see stuff even cooler, and work with some very sharp people. I truly miss my military time, and would go back to active duty in a heart beat if given the chance.

My only concern would be how competitive I'd be in my military career if I went back full time active duty. I've done well and been successful, but many of the youngn's I've met lately are brilliant and make me feel like a knuckle dragger.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The reserves are sounding great right about now..

Post Thanks / Like

i did 4 years in the Marine Corps, and there are plenty of military friendly companies. i have been employed with the same company for 12 yrs since i got out.

Post Thanks / Like

Send me a pm if you would like to talk about this by phone. My background: retired from Air Force active duty and retired from Air Force Civilian employment. What you call BS today, we called "Mickey Mouse" during my years. I retired at the former Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, now Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth. During my civilian career, Carswell converted from active duty to reserve, so I know both sides very well. My career field was what is known today as Financial Services. I am an officer, retired grade of Capt, and retired civilian grade of GS-12. As you consider your options, keep in mind there is a lot of BS in the civilian world too. Desertnate makes some very good points relating to his decision to leave active duty. His comment about active duty vs reserves are similar to what I observed when Carswell changed from active duty to reserve. My observations were that former active duty who joined the reserves were less satisfied. refreshauto also offers good information, and so does JHL88. Bottom line is this is your decision, and also your spouse, if you are married.

Post Thanks / Like

I did one term in AF working on F-16s and yes sir there is plenty outside the military. My ex-wife is an E-7 in the Airforce and has her Masters Degree in something but she is scared to get out. I think as with anything, the longer you stay in an occupation the harder it is to get out cause of the comfort you feel knowing what to expect. Yes sir, there is a life away from the military that many make work for them..... if they can do it, you can do it better.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, after the air force, there are a ton of employers out there looking for YOU! Don't fret on it. Life is all about transitioning to the next step. Life after serving, just another page man. Take some time, relax, and find what's right for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

jsgntulok- I apreciate your words. The BS im talking about is when I joined the AF, it was fun, I enjoyed coming to work day in and day out. It seems this year has been bad to alot of folks in AF due to the downsizing. Allot of folks are getting the boot, alot of good people. It took me this long to finally figure out that we're all just a number for the AF. Im ready for a change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast