autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 21 "scuffs"

I ordered a Rupes 21 on 3/21/2014 (roughly two weeks ago). I received it along with a 5 inch backing plate. Ray was very helpful in getting me the polisher and backing plate during the 15% polisher sale that week Autopia was running.

I received it within about 5 days via FedEx. You can imagine the joy I had when I opened the box. When I pulled the Rupes 21 from the box, the blue part on the backing plate looked black or scuffed up. It looked like the machine had been used or possibly tested. Before flying off the handle, I contacted Ray and Todd Helme.

After talking with both of them, they assured me there was no way in god's green earth, that they would sell me a used polisher. I of course agreed, but was still stumped as to why the Rupes backing plate looked black and used.

After a week or so, Todd Helme finally got back a email from the marketing manager of Rupes. It stated:

"I confirm that all our machines, no one excluded, are tested to check the electronic module, rpm, speed regulator etc… then cleaned (maybe not in the mentioned case) and packaged in the box.
    Usually if there are some defects or dirty marks, they are cleaned before packaged… In this case maybe we missed something.
    I hope to have answered to your doubts.
    In any case I’ll be more than happy to give you all the info you need.
    Francesco Ginocchio
    Marketing Manager"

Not sure if any of you guys have come across this with your machine, but I had a feeling I wasn't alone. Granted through all this, Todd and Ray both offered to send me a brand new polisher which was great. Their customer service is top notch. Granted, I was certain that the machine wasn't used, just wanted the scuff question answered is all. I actually wiped mine down after receiving this email from Todd but found the photos of it I took with my crappy iPhone 5 camera. Here are some pics of a Rupes 21 that a buddy of mine just received with the same scuffs:

This is mine the day it came. These were taken with a iPhone 5 camera at work, so forgive me in advance.

You can somewhat see where the black from the machine is rubbed onto the blue of the backing plate. The "clean" spot of blue on the backing plate is lower hence the reason, no black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has the same black stuff on the BP. I thought it was lube because the BP drags or something left over from molding the rubber. I think I cleaned it off when I did the washer mod.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 21 "scuffs"

hmm.. looks used to me, mine def didn't look like that.. ordered somewhere else... I'd prob take them up on another one being sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Mine has the same black stuff on the BP. I thought it was lube because the BP drags or something left over from molding the rubber. I think I cleaned it off when I did the washer mod.
    It does have grease or lube on the machine I noticed when doing the washer mod also.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 21 "scuffs"

Hey... Maybe mine was used too? Can I get a new one as well? Maybe a Mini for my "inconvenience"? Some free pads would also go to good use as well - 4 & 6"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    hmm.. looks used to me, mine def didn't look like that.. ordered somewhere else... I'd prob take them up on another one being sent.
    The first one is from DI, the second is from Autopia.

I pretty sure that they cant sell used polishers legally. I had a feeling these were tested in the factory and this is probably the reason. Some guy just didn't wipe it off before boxing it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey... Maybe mine was used too? Can I get a new one as well? Maybe a Mini for my "inconvenience"? Some free pads would also go to good use as well - 4 & 6"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the machine. You will love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the machine. You will love it.
    I cant wait. Its been sitting here for a week unused. I put it on my dresser when I got home from work the morning after I got it.

I actually think I heard it crying last night because I haven't had a correction scheduled.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the washer mod, best thing for the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast