autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Pad Washer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post
    I actually made a splash guard for this. I guess I never posted the instructions for that...

As far as the center piece, that would definitely be nice to have. I made a cad model of it that I was going to print, but then everyone gave me crap about legal issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post
    Hmm... I know what you mean about the cones, but how would the extra width would make a difference?

Also, how far do the cones move down? I think mine move farther since I had to get those big springs from Lowe's, so that means more water volume spraying out.

The smaller holes could actually be part of the problem. Smaller holes => more pressure => inject more water into the pad.
    Read my mind with the end. The same goes for the cones. Water displacement is greater creating more pressure as well. Maybe try modifying your design and cut the springs to create less pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine yesterday. Can't wait to try it out. Hope this will save me from using a new pad every couple panels.

DIY Pad Washer-imageuploadedbyagonline1422479949-105525-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are lucky down south. I was into a Home Depot, canadian tire and a Rona and haven't been able to find pvc small enough. Everybody has 4" stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckCleaner View Post
    You guys are lucky down south. I was into a Home Depot, canadian tire and a Rona and haven't been able to find pvc small enough. Everybody has 4" stuff.
    Some stores here will stock the smaller PVC on the next aisle. Have you talked to an employee? They might be able to tell you where you can buy smaller stuff if they don't have it. This stuff is used in homes all the time, so I can't imagine it's just not available where you're at.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my pad washer. I'm left handed so I have my wingnut on the right side. Thanks for posting this guide.

I had trouble with the Genova CPVC 3/4" male adapter because it was too big for the spring (23/32" x 3-1/2"). I bought qty 4 -- 3/4" MPT plug instead which works great.

DURA 3/4 in. Schedule 40 PVC Plug-C450-007 - The Home Depot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Pad Washer-washpad01-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhn View Post
    Here's my pad washer. I'm left handed so I have my wingnut on the right side. Thanks for posting this guide.

I had trouble with the Genova CPVC 3/4" male adapter because it was too big for the spring (23/32" x 3-1/2"). I bought qty 4 -- 3/4" MPT plug instead which works great.

DURA 3/4 in. Schedule 40 PVC Plug-C450-007 - The Home Depot
    Nice job! Did you add that handle? The Home Depot buckets in my area just have basic plastic handles.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a fancy bucket at lowes, but cracked the bottom shoving the pvc pipe to the bottom lol. Ended up sanding all 4 corners of the pvc pipe so it would fit. I replaced the HD bucket handle with the good one.

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys so first i only read up to page 8 so if some one said this already ....my bad........but i just got all parts going to start assembly tomorow yesterday i also called "GRIT GUARD" and i saw some people saying they want that lil insert that goes in the middle of grit guard well it is called "the grit guard extender" and i just ordered one for 5$ (also got the big grit gaurd) and it ships quick orderded yesterday and should be here tomorow ....so let ya know how project turns out but for any one that wants that middle piece save 5 $ up and call grit guard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbreeze225 View Post
    hey guys so first i only read up to page 8 so if some one said this already ....my bad........but i just got all parts going to start assembly tomorow yesterday i also called "GRIT GUARD" and i saw some people saying they want that lil insert that goes in the middle of grit guard well it is called "the grit guard extender" and i just ordered one for 5$ (also got the big grit gaurd) and it ships quick orderded yesterday and should be here tomorow ....so let ya know how project turns out but for any one that wants that middle piece save 5 $ up and call grit guard
    I ordered one from them too, but I don't think I ever posted that here. I haven't used it yet. They also sell the splash guard separately for $15. I picked one of those up just to compare to the homemade version, and I actually like mine better.

Post Thanks / Like

How have I not seen this here before

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast