autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW 335i - 1 Step Paint Correction by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island, NY

This BMW 335i I was asked to work on threw me a couple curveballs so I figured a short writeup was in order. It's just one example of how every panel on a paint correction job can be different.

Client had brought me the car given that it had a number of swirls and although not looking perfection, wanted a significant improvement. We agreed to a 1 step paint correction.

Started with the usual wash / clay bar routine (no pics - sorry). After I got the car dried I went around quickly with the paint gauge and made an interesting discovery.
    I could see a long deep scratch along the passenger door and on closer inspection, it seemed obvious this panel had been previously wetsanded. Quite a bit actually.

Passenger door - close to the fender - 122 microns

Just inches away, along the same panel - 98 microns!

Normal 98 microns on its own is not too much of a concern BUT the inconsistency is the key here. A lot of paint has been removed from this spot. In order to be sure, just a few inches down that same panel (approaching the door handle) we're back to 120+ microns

Ok so we had to be careful there. Most of the car was done with the Flex 3401 / Griots DA along with LC Tangerine pads and Menzerna Power Finish

Fender Before

Fender After (NOT perfect - 1 step correction only)

Hood before

Hood after

Made my way to the rear bumper and it was clear something was different. I couldn't measure on the urethane panel with my Highline meter, but it seemed clear the rear bumper had been repainted, with the body shop leaving a mess of sanding marks and swirls.

I ended up doing a 3 step correction on the rear bumper. LC purple foamed wool + Makita 9227 + megs m100 followed by d300 / megs MF pads and then Menzerna Super Finish with the porter cable DA

Rear bumper before - what a mess!

up close

After - almost full correction - a few deeper isolated scratches I didn't feel comfortable chasing since I couldn't take a paint measurement. Friends know when to say when.

Protected the paint with Blackfire Wet Diamond. Some shots outside after I was finished up.

From the Mr. Sparkle garage in Long Island, NY.....

Long Island Auto Detailer: Mr. Sparkle Detailing
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work, and picture taking Mr sparkle..keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW 335i - 1 Step Paint Correction by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island, NY

Another reason why a PTG is so useful! Great work
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW 335i - 1 Step Paint Correction by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island, NY

Very nice work on that 335is!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice - good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!! Now if the snow would only go away here on LI you could really get the biz hopping!
    John
    Mean people suck