autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Done With Wax on Daily Driver

While it's been fun and all, I'm giving up on wax/sealants for my DD. Why? Because I washed it today - and there wasn't a bead in sight. Water was flat. This was Collinite 915 and it was refreshed around 1.5-2 mos ago. Only beading was the roof which has OptiCoat. The OC seems to bead no matter what - if the car is filthy or clean. Pretty amazing stuff. So, I think I'll be OC'ing the rest of the vehicle once it gets a bit warmer.

Now the last 2 months have been horrible here. We have had snow, which leads to salt, on almost a daily basis. It has been hardcore snow and salt. But, all the protection was gone.

Car was filthy. Spent about 6 hrs washing inside & outside, re-applying 2 coats of 915 (for now), Tuff Shin'ing the tires, and Permanon'ing wheels and some trim.

While 915 looks great and is easy to apply (worked well in today's direct sun) - it just doesn't last through the salt and snow here. I don't think anything will, but OC - if next winter is as bad as this one was.

So, I'm wondering how everyone else's conventional LSPs held up this winter???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Done With Wax on Daily Driver

My single application of powerlock lasted 5 months. I wasn't able to rinse off the salt for a while (a couple times) this winter. Truck stays parked in the garage during the day (work nights)

On the Daylight sale I ordered PBL paint coating and I have a bottle of Poli-Coat sealant I haven't tried yet so we'll see how this goes.

I REALLY want to try Polish Angel Primer/Cosmic

Post Thanks / Like

Come to the side of coating my friend lol.

That is my reason for giving up waxes and sealant.
    If i am going to invest 10+ hours to get my paint corrected, then sealant and wax it. I expect it to last for at least a year before another round of polishing.
    Although most folks reapply wax and sealant every 6 months, u still have some light polishing to do. Not everyone want to polish their paint in such a short time again.

And that is the reason i opted for coatings.

Post Thanks / Like
    PowerLock was under the 915 originally - that was gone as well.m guessing I applied it Nov/Dec. Maybe because car had salt all over it for a month plus, it killed the LSP. The good news IS, I did prove my theory.

My theory goes like this: don't touch the car until you can't touch it correctly.

I held off on washing until I was able to wash correctly. So, there wasn't a swirl in sight. Paint still looked good. No scratches or marring that you can get from washing via half way methods.

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionDetail View Post
    Come to the side of coating my friend lol.

That is my reason for giving up waxes and sealant.
    If i am going to invest 10+ hours to get my paint corrected, then sealant and wax it. I expect it to last for at least a year before another round of polishing.
    Although most folks reapply wax and sealant every 6 months, u still have some light polishing to do. Not everyone want to polish their paint in such a short time again.

And that is the reason i opted for coatings.
    Amen to that. My garaged BMW will still be getting wax though. Just did BF Fire over Ice.

Post Thanks / Like

For some odd reason, i can't really tell the difference between a "Waxed" look....
    MAYBE if i had like a FUN car for the weekend, I just might use wax and sealant again.
    But i think the main reasons i went with coating was because the ease that i know it is THERE, unless polished off. And also because i don't see the difference after i wax the paint lol.

Well i am horrible with art and music.
    Like any music go in my ear is good, regardless if there is a amp / bass / subwoofer. I just can't tell the difference.
    Same thing applies with wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Permanon platinum lasted all winter and is still going strong. Adam's quick sealant always lasts me 6+ months.

Post Thanks / Like

Prima hydro seal/max held up great in this lousy PA winter. A quick application of prima hydro wax as you dry brings back the shine/protection.

I applied DP WHEEL AND GLASS COAT before winter. Cant say enough about these two. Wheels & glass still look good. WG trim sealant on all the trim before winter. Again, great product. Trim still looks good after a winter beating. And the xterra does 250 miles/week. Outside 24/7

In fact come spring i will most likley do...
    1. prima amigo
    2. prima hydro seal or max
    3. hydro wax as you dry for maintaining
    4. Would like to try the new MOTHERS TRIM CLEANER
    5. WG trim sealant
    6. DP wheel coat
    7. DP glass coat

PA winters just plain suck! But i felt prima helped save the finish.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost forgot, DLux held up. Also, Pinnacle Glass Sealant held up awesome as well. LSP - not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayankeeman1968 View Post
    Collinite 845
    I made it through this winter with 2 coats plus I enjoy applying wax.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast