autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 168 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Thinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

With so many car guys/gals on this site I thought I'd throw this out to the group, its always good to get an outside perspective sometimes, see things that only others can see, so here's the deal.

When I moved here to Chicagoland in Dec of 09' I had an 07' Mini Cooper S and I was leasing it and couldn't keep it as far as buying it but I was able to get a Honda Fit, but I had to "settle" for an automatic or "autotragic" as I like to say, the dealership couldn't find me one, so I took the color I wanted atleast but settled for the auto. It had paddle shifters and it was fun, to a point, but not like having 3 pedals. Fast forward a year and half and 33k miles later, NO issues with the Fit, great car but I decided it was time to get a stick and I test drove the CR-Z and took it, much more fun to drive with the awesome Honda 6 speed, love how it goes into gear and the car itself handles much, much better, plus the mileage is better but not by as much as you'd think. I should also say that I had to roll over neg equity into the CR-Z but it worked out for me. So now flash forward 2.5 yrs later and in that time I've enjoyed the CR-Z, NO issues with the car, mpg as high as 44 mpg but averaging a hair under 40 mpg right now but that's from when I joined Fuely back in July of 2012, mileage during the winter has been around 32 mpg's. In that time the Fiat 500 Abarth came out and I love that car, its all attitude and sounds great and is a hot hatch for the ages! So right now I can get a 12' that's basically loaded w/just under 5k on the clock for $18.5. Now being 2.5 yrs into a 6 year deal w/ the CR-Z, along with the neg equity makes it tough....BUT, with this price, including the neg equity of my car I'd be getting the car for what it costs basically, makes it an easier pill to swallow so to speak. Being an enthusist I made my CR-Z a bit more fun but the Abarth is a TRUE enthusists car, something I haven't had since the Mini Cooper S I had, a car I made more special ontop of that. After a bad day at work walking out to the Abarth would put a HUGE smile on my face and then slip into its red leather seats, take in the smell of that and then fire up that engine...OMG that engine note!

I should also say I've had NO issues with the Honda's I've had, something very important for me, especially coming out of the Mini Cooper S which was the biggest POS, sorry Monica, that I ever had, 3 aux fuel pumps, bad fuel injector, bad MAF, bad timing chain and the throttle would freeze up during cold weather, even after the revision they offered for it. All issues were covered under warranty except for the MAF, that was $660! When it was time to turn the car in I still wanted the car, even after all that because I loved the car and made it my own as many Mini owners do to the car, loved the whole Mini experience, the waves and the smile it too put on my face walking out to the car, I was always excited to drive it, even going home, great drivers car (except for all the issues)

So, based on what I've said here, what's you thoughts guys, reliability or go with your passion?
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    I would keep your Honda. Keep it forever. Take care of it and eventually you will have no payments. That's the best yet - having a nice car - no payments.

I'm done buying cars and making payments. I'm keeping what I have til death do us part.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

They are wag over priced and for 7k less I got my GTI. My GTI is much faster and nicer on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger..DON'T DO IIITTTTT!!!!
    You do not see the CR-Z too often on the road. In Downtown i always see a Fiat cause it's a "city" car..

I know a person who bought a Fiat Abarth as a DD to keep his TT 350z in the garage and he ended up trading the Fiat for a Mini because under 1 year of ownership the undercarriage began to rust.

With that said..isn't the Fiat RWD? I know you drive a lot, so wouldn't that be an issue in the winter months?

On a side note, i know you are asking about the two..but similar to size and price wise with great performance, why not the new Fiesta ST ?
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I would keep your Honda. Keep it forever. Take care of it and eventually you will have no payments. That's the best yet - having a nice car - no payments.

I'm done buying cars and making payments. I'm keeping what I have til death do us part.

I agree and it's a lot sportier looking car than the turtle shell looking abarth
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

The CRZ is nice and elegant, yet can be sporty if you want. People can always stomp on it saying it is just looking sporty but hell of a slow but who cares now with so many SC kits you can add on? And the thing is, the 6MT is just fun. I know it... I wanted to trade my Civic for it at one point, but I just don't wanna commit that just yet, and partly also because I started detailing when I got my Civic and I wanted to see till maybe 10 years/15 years it would still look like day one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would trade it in, there's a million hondas everywhere, plus abarths look fun. You can always go back to honda. Have you thought of a honda s2000? Those kik a$$.

Post Thanks / Like

i put the new fiats in the same category as prius.. lol... waste of a car IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a video on youtube that showed how terrieble the interior ergonomics was but I can't find it now. I think it's a neat looking car that you prob wont see everyday but I wouldn't drive one. I'll keep my Focus ST.

Post Thanks / Like

The car cost 18.5k and you're going in negative, plus the percentage rate to finance, you're gonna end up paying close to 30k for a car that's not worth it. The monthly payments may sound right, and easy to afford, but in the long run, it's probably gonna be another 5, to 6 year loan and a lot more money than the car is worth. Depending on the interest rate the dealer gives you, it might be more. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

Page 1 of 168 123456789101151101 ... LastLast