autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 black Mitsubishi Outlander - Full Black Label Coating Treatment - Signature Flex3401

Good evening my friends,

I've got this Outlander yesterday and finished up today. The owner was unsatisfied with her just owned black car, it was not looking nice and had some major scratches she would like to remove.

Looks like TOG (the other guy) instilled some heavy damage to the car, and left his clues (TOGWA and Swirls) everywhere.

Something very interesting happened in the middle of the job... Follow and you'll see!

Follow up:

Interior
    • Vacuumed interior
    • Carpets / floor mats scrubbed with CG All Clean+ APC
    • Leather upholstery cleaned with Mothers leather cleaner
    • Leather upholstery protected with Mothers leather conditioner
    • Interior Surfaces cleaned with CG Inner Clean
    • Interior Surfaces protected with 303 Aerospace Protectant

Wheels and Tires
    • Wheels, wheel jambs and tires cleaned with CG All Clean+ APC, Citrus W&G using Daytona wheel brushes
    • Tires Dressed with CG New Car Shine Premium Dressing

Washes
    • Pre-Wash (twice):
    • Foam with CG Citrus W&G
    • Thorough rinse down to remove all soap residues

• Former Wash (triple):
    • Foam and 2BM with CG Citrus W&G

• Pre-Coating Wash:
    • Foam with Detailer's Pro Xtreme Foam
    • Thorough rinse down to remove all soap residues

• Dried with Meguiar's water magnet drying towel

Correction
    • Clayed with Nanoskin Fine Clay Mitts and CG Wash and Wax Soap for Lube.
    • Glass Polished with Pinnacle Glasswork Waterspot Remover on Orange Constant Pressure 4" Pads - 6 speed and 4-6 passes
    • Correction with G220v2, Tangerine Hydrotech 5.5" Pad and PF2500 - speed 6 and 6-8 passes
    • Correction with Flex 3401, White Hybrid 5" Pad and Menzerna PF2500 - speed 5 and 6-8 passes

Coating prep and Coating
    • Hand Polished with Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish using MF applicator
    • Paint Coated with Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating
    • Glass Coated with Pinnacle Black Label Glass Coating
    • Wheels Coated with Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating (BONUS).

Picture Format:

What we'll be dealing with:

Wheels

Sunroof

TOGWA Series:

Dirt sticked to paint and glass

Swirls and Random Isolated Deep Scratches

4 months old car looks several abused by car washes

Everything (here) starts from Bottom. Foaming wheels and underskirts to let them clean:

Wheels and side skirts clean

Now I do the traditional 'Top to Bottom'

Foamed dirty away (touch less wash until this time) and swirls appeared even more.

Second Foam and Rinse (still touch less)

'Weird' Water Behavior

Paint 'urges' for help...

Not surprised Sunroof was 'beading'. Look at the quantity of TOGWA this car had on Sunroof's rubber seal:

More Swirls and the larger scratches that was concerning my client:

Many Rinses and Former Washes after, I've clayed the car using nanoskin fine grade clay mitt.

Here the car is absolutely clean and clayed (and dried!). Surface is now smooth and reflective as glass.

But we still have a lot of swirls to go after... Closer look:

Here they are showing by my garage lighting:

I've put 2 favorite polishes at proof for this job: Menzerna PF2500 and Meguiar's M205. They are different 'beasts', being M205 a finishing polish and PF2500 has more cut yet finishes very good as well. To advance, M205 was not able to get the correction I was looking for, but I always start from the least abrasive method I believe would tackle the job.

Based on quick tests, I've decided to use HT tangerine Pad with PF2500 as 1-step polish, and all I can say is that this duo performs.

Here are some passes:

(PS: My notebook volume level appears at the picture, please, ignore this fault).

Preliminar Results:

Next day woke up beautiful:

Scratches run away while I was sleeping... (!)

Although I could start tackling the job, I've felt my G220v2 would take very long to polish this entire car. I've called the client and told her maybe I wouldn't even finish it today. I don't do this frequently, but car was so 'hammered' I was having a hard time buffing it...

But just after calling, FEDEX delivered (earlier than expected) something to me.

GUYS, I'M REALLY SORRY. I was prepping an unboxing, but I was desperate and this is what was left of my to be unboxing topic:

Some of 'goodies' inside the box ('self initiative' for dedicatory made that moment very emotional here...) :

Just equipped the tool with LC backing plate and 5" white Hybrid Pad to test the machine. Fact is, I wouldn't release it until the whole car was done!

Thanks to this 'gift from heaven!', I was able to finish the car on time. I don't have words to describe the Flex 3401, it's so much better than my (also good) G220v2 that I'm planning to reserve the later to equip with brushes for scrubbing. I pretend doing a review on 3401, but I can advance I have not gotten common related issues with 'reversed rotation' and 'machine walking on me'. If you have experience with other DAs, you'll get the feel for the Flex instantly, and like me, you won't want to grab any other tool. Mine is what I call 'Signature Model 3401'. Thanks Mike Phillips! You were right: I've Loved the 3401!

Tires and side skirt Dressed

Bye Bye Togwa:

Resistant TOGWA:

Gone!

Bye Bye Scratches:

Time to Choose the Proper LSP to this job:

Lateral View

Hood under Light and Flash:

Glass received Diamond Glass Coating:

Compared to Black Label Surface Coating I own, I've found Glass Coating a bit more 'liquid'/'runny, easier to spread and remove from glass. Smoothness and Slickness, as well as easy application are similar to Surface Coating.

As always, I try to give a bonus for the client. I do this for two reasons:

a) I like to be gentle
    b) Client not always know everything he wants done. This way, I help them to know better more of what I offer.

BONUS for this time:

Applied with my 'Microfiber Finger'

Wheel coating let wheels feeling smooth as treated and coated paint. It's easier, faster and better than waxing or sealing wheels. That treatment will make washing easier, and as this client is willing to adhere a maintenance program here, we have a Win/Win Scenario - She got her wheels coated and shiny, and I'll have a nice time cleaning them from now on.

This work was finished late today, so I couldn't help than taking some not very impressive pictures with my (still) cell phone camera.

Nevertheless, I like this forum to share the ideas, methods and procedures more than to show how shine the car turn out. My cameraman abilities don't make justice to the before, neither the after...

But if you got the idea behind it, I believe I've achieve my main objective.

To payback some 'nice guys and girls' around here, this topic and this whole detail job are dedicated to:

... Mike Phillips

... Nick. He also knows how important his 'touch' was on my order, and he made all effort to handle everything, pack and send the best package as soon as possible.

... Kendra and Andre @ AG. Without Kendra I couldn't be able to receive my third (and going) package from AG. Remember I'm from Brazil and it's always a difficult negotiation, but she always stood by me.

Andre is the guy who I first call when prepping the Shopping Cart. His knowledge and suggestions always gives me great ideas to get the most from what I need to improve my detailing business.

... Mike @ Smack: 'hugged' me like a son in this detailing world and guided me through many things with his huge experience and talent.

... AGO Community: Without you, I wouldn't be here, for not knowing all I've learned from you.

Thank you everyone for watching.

I really appreciate any question, critics and comments. You're all welcome.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 black Mitsubishi Outlander - Full Black Label Coating Treatment - Signature Flex3401

Great write up and amazing work. Good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 black Mitsubishi Outlander - Full Black Label Coating Treatment - Signature Flex3401

Tato, My friend....This has to be one of the best posts that I've had the pleasure of reading since I joined up just a short while ago! Your attention to detail, perserverance, and quality of work are among the best that I've seen! I'm glad to see the Flex made it to you in one piece! Your going to love that tool! Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write-up and amazing work!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, and I enjoyed reading the write-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Rafael, your write ups are surely coming along nicely! I enjoy reading them. I cant wait to see you get a DSLR in your hands.

Beautiful work on the Outlander! That was a great turnaround. Im sure the owners were quite pleased.

Signed Flex 3401 huh? Im a bit jealous over here.

Keep up the outstanding work my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work and write up

Post Thanks / Like

amazing turnaround on the black paint! great job!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Your talent shows in the pictures and it was put together nicely which made it a great read. Thanks for sharing it with us Rafael.

Mike

Mike Phillips

First....

Awesome save and turn-around on the Mitsubishi. I hope the owner, with your help, will both appreciate and take better care of it.

Second, it was my honor and privilege to sign my how-to book for you as well as the Flex 3401.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post

Some of 'goodies' inside the box ('self initiative' for dedicatory made that moment very emotional here...) :

Just equipped the tool with LC backing plate and 5" white Hybrid Pad to test the machine. Fact is, I wouldn't release it until the whole car was done!

Thanks to this 'gift from heaven!', I was able to finish the car on time. I don't have words to describe the Flex 3401, it's so much better than my (also good) G220v2 that I'm planning to reserve the later to equip with brushes for scrubbing.

I pretend doing a review on 3401, but I can advance I have not gotten common related issues with 'reversed rotation' and 'machine walking on me'.

If you have experience with other DAs, you'll get the feel for the Flex instantly, and like me, you won't want to grab any other tool.

Mine is what I call 'Signature Model 3401'. Thanks Mike Phillips! You were right: I've Loved the 3401!
    The more you use it the better you will get with it and you'll not only get better results on the cars you work on but you'll get them done faster.

To payback some 'nice guys and girls' around here, this topic and this whole detail job are dedicated to:

... Nick. He also knows how important his 'touch' was on my order, and he made all effort to handle everything, pack and send the best package as soon as possible.

... Kendra and Andre @ AG. Without Kendra I couldn't be able to receive my third (and going) package from AG. Remember I'm from Brazil and it's always a difficult negotiation, but she always stood by me.

Andre is the guy who I first call when prepping the Shopping Cart. His knowledge and suggestions always gives me great ideas to get the most from what I need to improve my detailing business.

... Mike @ Smack: 'hugged' me like a son in this detailing world and guided me through many things with his huge experience and talent.

... AGO Community: Without you, I wouldn't be here, for not knowing all I've learned from you.

Thank you everyone for watching.

I really appreciate any question, critics and comments. You're all welcome.

Kind Regards.

Now that's classy and I'll send the link to this thread to my co-workers here at AG to make sure they get to read your thread.

You're a class act Tato!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast