autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless Wash Thoughts -- Feedback Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    You guys talk about a "presoak", what do you mean?
    Hello DogRescuer,

Presoak is basically spraying the rinseless solution into the panel you are about to clean. The theory behind this is that the rinseless solution would soften up the dirt that when you wipe at the panel, there is lesser chance of scratching with softer dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I do 1ounce for 2 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    I use 2 gallons of water and 2oz of ONR. When I am finished I just toss out the mix.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Presoak is to treat the area with a waterless product and let it sit for a while. Let the product do most of the work of loosening the dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Every week, I try a new way of doing rinseless wash. Here is the latest I did:
    - presoak whole vehicle with ONRWW rinseless dilution
    - cleaned every panel with a MF-covered sponge
    - dried each panel with a slightly damp shine & buff towel

It worked good for me, but my MF-covered sponge was black after. I did not feel any dirt on the sponge, it looked like dirt stains. Any ideas on MF-covered sponges for rinseless?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing rinseless washes for about 7 years, using both ONRs, Ultima, Meguiar's and Duragloss, constantly trying different media and technique.
    Here's what I'm doing now:
    If extremely dirty, such as salt-sprayed in the winter, I'll pre-soak with a pump sprayer. My media of choice is a Meguiar's or Blackfire MF mitt. I've tried the MF-covered Bone sponge, MF noodle mitts, grout sponge and MF towels. What I like about my current mitts is how easily they release dirt with just some hefty shaking in the wash bucket. I'll use them as a pad, not a mitt, doing 4 passes with the mitt, reversing direction on the same side while slightly lifting the dirty leading edge from the previous pass, then flipping the mitt for 2 more. Then the mitt gets a vigorous shake in the solution to dislodge any loose dirt.
    Depending on the temp and sunlight, I may do a single panel or multiple panels before the next step. I'll follow up with a plush MF towel to blot large spots, spread out the solution and act as a backup in case I missed a spot. That towel gets constantly wrung out and reused, unless it did pick up any dirt. Next step is either a final pass with a drying towel or application of a drying aid, followed by wiping with a dry towel. I never use my dedicated drying towels when using any drying aids, as I don't want to compromise my drying towels with any chemicals or waxes.

With regard to your question of a dirty sponge, even with my technique, my white mitts will still be slightly greyed after the wash, since not every single microscopic piece of dirt is released. After a few washes, they'll never be pure white again, even after a cycle through the washer, but I've never found that to cause any swirls or marring.

Also, if I've only done one car with a bucket of solution and it wasn't too dirty, I may give the solution a day for the dirt to settle below the grit guard, then scoop out some clear solution from the top and fill my sprayer for the next pre-soak job.

There's a zillion ways to wash a car, but this seems to work well for me and two of my fleet are dark, one Black and one Dark Burgundy.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw and bought these on a local Ace hardware: http://zwipes.com/product/microfiber...cleaning-mitt/

Planning to use it for rinseless in the weekend:
    - presoak whole vehicle with ONRWW rinseless dilution
    - clean every panel with this new mitt
    - dry each panel with a slightly damp shine & buff towel

Anyone else tried this mitt? I looked at their website and it was actually posted under "home", not "automotive".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234