autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you layer Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?

Hi everyone!

It's my first official post on autogeek, but I have been lurking and detailing for a long time.

I recently purchased the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Elite Kit and over the weekend polished, cleaned and prepped my paint according to the directions and then applied my first layer of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

It went on pretty good, but I kept feeling like I needed to spray a bit more on the car as I was applying it to make sure I felt it covered the whole surface, since the recommended 4 sprays per panel didn't seem to cut it on my Land Rover LR4 (big truck). when I over applied it (say 6 sprays) and immediatly buffed it gently with a microfiber to remove streaks and high spots it seemed like it worked better.

So my question is this. If I wanted, can I apply a second coat of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating directly on top of my previous coat once its fully cured in a day? That way I would know I got everything covered correctly.I am guessing not since the two layers could counteract each other and the 2nd coat wouldn't adhere fully like it would when you prep the paint with the Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish.

Lastly, can I remove an existing layer of the
    Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating by hand with the Cleansing Polish?

Any info would be most appreciated!

Happy Holidays,

Macro

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can layer a second coat.

No, the cleansing prep polish will not remove the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you layer Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    Yes you can layer a second coat.

No, the cleansing prep polish will not remove the coating.
    Awesome, thanks StangFan!

I don't need to reapply the cleansing prep polish do it? Just add another layer of Paint Coating, correct? The truck is in the garage and has not been subjected to any weather or contaminations.

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi.

Are you sure you can layer another coat of 'the coat'? From what I know you can layer PBL coating with carnauba waxes, and it's not explicit if carnauba 'pure' or with cleaners. I also would like to know if I can layer with a synthetic sealant over the coat.

Any help on this is very welcome.

Talking about that, Welcome to AGO, hope you enjoy here as I do.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Hi.

Are you sure you can layer another coat of 'the coat'? From what I know you can layer PBL coating with carnauba waxes, and it's not explicit if carnauba 'pure' or with cleaners. I also would like to know if I can layer with a synthetic sealant over the coat.

Any help on this is very welcome.

Talking about that, Welcome to AGO, hope you enjoy here as I do.

Kind Regards.

Thanks Tato,

Just to be clear, I am asking the same thing, I.E. layering two coats of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating on top of each other, with nothing between them. I'm pretty sure StangFan understood that, but its always safe to absolutely confirm that. The last thing I want to do is screw up all that work I just did on the truck and have to re polish the entire thing to get a compromised coating off.

Anyone from autogeek know for sure? Id love add another coat today or tomorrow at latest. Going to work on the wheels and glass tonight.

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe Nick said for sure you can layer PBL Sealant, Wax over the top of PBL coating. As for adding another layer of coating over the top of existing coating, I don't see how it can bond to paint if there is a layer of coating already cured...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a way of applying PBL coating over it's own.

I say that because in one of the applications I've done, the other day I had some high spots that had to be buffed away with a MF towel and a QD. Without QD, I couldn't remove that high spots, they 'stick' to the towel and the car paint / glass (sorry, I can't describe that in english, it was a bit mess).

That said, what may happen is that a 'second coat' may behave like those high spots I've seen, and they are 'sticky' and also don't dry well as the properly applied coat.

The cause of my high spots is known, I've applied too much on some areas.

But I've done that, to avoid wanting to put a second layer of coating later!

What I've done with great success was applying Souveran Wax (liquid) to the coating, and that improved even more the slickness (!). I believe it's a great add as a sacrificial barrier, however, you'll have to reapply it after every 3-4 months... Why coating?

Some are in favor of layering the coat, other are against. I'm pretty sure we will not get in a consensus.

However, it would be nice if Nick came here to answer the layering / topping coat question a lot of people would like to know details about this subject.

I'm waiting for that.

Thank you in advance,

A good experiment to start: take a 'hidden' spot on your car that had been coated, and reapply there. Check the results within 1, 2, and 3 days, at least, and see how it works. Always do a test spot after reapplying the whole car (even if on says here: Yes, reapply coat over coat).

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

would be nice to layer the coatings tho

Post Thanks / Like
    You can put PBL sealant over the PBL coating after a 24 hour cure time to get a longer lasting finish. No need to apply polish again. I wouldn't put a coating on a coating since a coating needs to bond to paint.

Post Thanks / Like

wouldn't the second coating not bond to the first but missed spots will bond?
    just my $.02

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast