autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you layer Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?

I've sent a PM to Nick himself to give an 'official' answer regarding this subject.

Hope we will have an answer on this subject soon.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    I've sent a PM to Nick himself to give an 'official' answer regarding this subject.

Hope we will have an answer on this subject soon.

Kind Regards.
    He is the one who told me in a thread when it was introduced to put PBL sealant on top after a 24 hour cure time.

Here is a link where Nick doesn't say that you can't do it, but doesn't recommend it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...k-label-5.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I don't have/use the PBL paint coating I do use the DP paint coating and when I applied it for the 1st time I came back around when I was done and applied a 2nd coat right away, no issues, no high spots, just an awesome finish, so easy to use!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Although I don't have/use the PBL paint coating I do use the DP paint coating and when I applied it for the 1st time I came back around when I was done and applied a 2nd coat right away, no issues, no high spots, just an awesome finish, so easy to use!

I have never used DP paint coating, but I can tell you that PBL coating takes a while to cure which seems to work well for amateurs like me since you can level it quite a bit of time after application. I would think that adding a coat right after based on my experience with it would just be a waste of product unless you missed a spot. Again, just my experience in doing the wife's SUV.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello.

Thank you for answer.

In any way I'm trying to put your statement in doubt. Like I've said, I've applied some souveran liquid over cured coating with very nice results.

It's likely that if I've applied any 'conventional' LSP (waxes, sealants, etc) would have worked nice also.

Maybe even 'coat with coat' works, I can't say.

What is making me want to be 101% SURE is because my last PBL coating application was almost a mess.

'Thank God' the client returned the next day to show me how wonderful, shiny and slick his car looked (before it was a 2013 (6 months old) 'opaque with a #400 GRIT feeling paint'). Thanks to his weekly maintenance ultra-care with dawn dish soap.

When I saw the high spots ALL OVER the entire car, I almost 'fainted'. When I've tried to remove the spots (it was almost 18 hours later) they started to stick to vehicle and MF towel. They haven't fully dried at all. Looked really like 'excess product applied'.

Luckily, using a quick detailer (Meg's FI #34) took care of all spots...

That never happened before, but the day of application we had temperature of 40ºC in my region, I can't say how it affected coat application. Also, I've tried to use a bit more than I'm used to avoid missing any spot. That was almost a 'recipe' to disaster.

By the way, the client haven't even noticed any of those spots, so people who 'don't know' will not even care for that. I will.

That's the only reason I'm considering important an 'official' recommendation. It's for my fault, not for putting in question any of your statement. Sorry if it looked like that.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Hello.

Thank you for answer.

In any way I'm trying to put your statement in doubt. Like I've said, I've applied some souveran liquid over cured coating with very nice results.

It's likely that if I've applied any 'conventional' LSP (waxes, sealants, etc) would have worked nice also.

Maybe even 'coat with coat' works, I can't say.

What is making me want to be 101% SURE is because my last PBL coating application was almost a mess.

'Thank God' the client returned the next day to show me how wonderful, shiny and slick his car looked (before it was a 2013 (6 months old) 'opaque with a #400 GRIT feeling paint'). Thanks to his weekly maintenance ultra-care with dawn dish soap.

When I saw the high spots ALL OVER the entire car, I almost 'fainted'. When I've tried to remove the spots (it was almost 18 hours later) they started to stick to vehicle and MF towel. They haven't fully dried at all. Looked really like 'excess product applied'.

Luckily, using a quick detailer (Meg's FI #34) took care of all spots...

That never happened before, but the day of application we had temperature of 40şC in my region, I can't say how it affected coat application. Also, I've tried to use a bit more than I'm used to avoid missing any spot. That was almost a 'recipe' to disaster.

By the way, the client haven't even noticed any of those spots, so people who 'don't know' will not even care for that. I will.

That's the only reason I'm considering important an 'official' recommendation. It's for my fault, not for putting in question any of your statement. Sorry if it looked like that.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.
    No problems. I had the same leveling problem you did with the coating. Fortunately I leveled it about 2 hours after the application and it was easy to do. In the garage where I applied it, I didn't see it even with good lighting, but when I backed it out to look at it in the sun it was noticeable on my wife's dark blue SUV. I was happy that it didn't cure that quickly for folks like me who are amateurs.

By the way, I didn't take your question as questioning my answer, I was just trying to help. Have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I didn't take your question as questioning my answer, I was just trying to help. Have a great day.
    Oh, ok, thank you for that. I always thought difficult to read the real feeling of forum messages, some are misunderstood. Sometimes we put a message happy and laughing and the 'other side' reads as we were angry!

I thought I was misunderstood because I have to try to write in a foreign language (difficult to express) and the chance of misunderstood is higher. Sorry for that,

Have a great day you too!

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrx495 View Post
    wouldn't the second coating not bond to the first but missed spots will bond?
    just my $.02
    This would be the only reason to apply a "2nd coat."

If you apply the product properly, there will be no need for a 2nd coat. Adding an additional layer is not going to increase longevity.

What you can do that is beneficial is to apply a coat of your favorite carnauba (finishing) wax after the coating has cured.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you for answer.

Is there any harm if the carnauba wax has some cleaners on it?

I also have some Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax here, do you think it can do any harm if I apply it to the coat after it has cured? I'm not asking about 'being good', but will it harm?

Thank you very much again in advance,

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nick, I paln on doing just that but not till after winter is over, doing a Speedy Prep process, DP paint prep, 1 coat of DPPC and once its cured, one of my many selants/waxes to put ontop of it. I'm very happy w/ the perf of DPPC so I'm all in about paint coatings, seems PBL, Opti-Coat and CQuartz users are also just as happy.

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast