autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2015 Ford Mustang

It was/is being announced today. Horsepower numbers not yet reported but the power plants will be a 2.3L Turbocharged 4 cylinder (Fox body all over again!), 3.7L V6 (boost in power over last year) and 5.0L V8 (boost in power over last year).

There is some speculation that the 'ecoboost' 4 will actually put out more horsepower than the V6, which makes sense- since the V6 will still remain the 'base' car, the ecoboost engine optional. And I'm sure better fuel economy if you keep your foot out of it. Though, of course, the forums will be ripe with complaints about poor ecoboost fuel economy- folks don't realize that the idea behind a turbocharged small engine is that it's power on demand, efficiency the rest of the time. If you run it hard, rev it high, shift like you're on a track, run at high speeds, use a lot of throttle, etc., then those turbos are going to be spooled up and the engine is going to use more fuel! (More air = more fuel!).

What do you guys think? Here's a couple pics;

I like it, overall. If you took the badges off and told me it wasn't a Mustang, that it was a new fusion sport coupe or some rebirth of the Falcon; I'd LOVE the car. Mustang badges aside- it is a downright way cool car. Mustang badges aside, they could've also gotten away with all wheel drive and a sportier interior. But, it does have the Mustang badges. Why is that bad? Well, because I love the Mustang. When I was a little kid this guy drove a red Mustang convertible with white paint stripes down my street and I fell in love. Never outgrew it either! So, it is tough to see such a radical change to the car. It's radical because it has a big european sport influence in the car. BUT- people forget that so did the ORIGINAL Mustang! The ORIGINAL Mustang, Cougar, and Thunderbird were designed to compete with european sports cars, and their build and design was to suit that.

Here's a 1967 Ferrari 275;

And here's a '67 Mustang fastback;

And even a 1967 Toyota 2000GT;

Are they the same cars? No, of course not- but there's a distinct similarity in styling, they really pulled from European sports car styling cues. So did the corvette and many other cars. In the 1960's, American Muscle was king, but there was nothing sexier than a sleek European sports car. So the geniuses at the Big 3 said "Why not both?". There are TONS of examples of how the European, Japanese and American markets leading sports cars borrowed from one another heavily. So it's no surprise that the same is happening now. There's a lot of Mazda/BMW/Aston/etc. influence in this car.

So honestly, a restyling to make it a curvaceous european sports car is, more than anything, a way to 'get back to it's roots'. BUT- I still fell in love with those old body styles- so it's gonna be hard for me to adjust! I kind of wish they had just kept the Mustang the same and introduced this car, with a few more tweaks, as a 'Fusion Coupe'. But then, in business it's not worth moving anywhere if you aren't moving forward.

My only REAL gripe is the 2.3L Turbo 4 cylinder. The idea is great; I would LOVE one of those Ford Taurus' with the 4 cylinder turbo. Gas mileage when you need it, performance when you need it. Like two engines in one. BUT; part of a muscle car, or any sports car really, is the sound and the torque. I know others disagree; but I just think inline 4 cylinder engines sound awful- especially in a car like a mustang. The V6 sounds okay and the Coyote 5-0 V8 should be the US national anthem. But the 4 cylinder? Not so much. They'll probably do all kinds of stuff with sound tubes and stuff like that like they did with the Focus ST to give it a more aggressive 'tone' without sounding too whiney, but it's still not the sound that I think a Mustang should make. Others, of course, would disagree and that's fine! But that's the way I feel.

What are your thoughts? You guys like the new 'stang or no?

Jury is still out on the interior for me. At first glance it's almost early-2000's Chrysler-ish. I haven't decided if I liked it or not. Mainly because I was looking forward to that a lot. I have a 2014 Focus and that interior is lightyears ahead of any Ford just 4 or 5 years ago (or any domestic sedan for that matter). A lot of tech, a lot of great styling, intuitive, full color LCD screens even for the odometer/trip odometer. The Mustang was kind of a simpler, plainer interior; which was okay- but I had hoped for a 'tech upgrade' while preserving that basic muscle car feel. Not sure if they really did that so much as slap a touch screen in there, and put a bunch of really funky knobs and switches.

Thoughts?
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Ford Mustang

I love it. Don't know if I'm sold on the IRS, but can't wait to drive one to see if it changes my mind like the 03-04 Cobra's. I love how the silver one looks in the commercial on YouTube.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 06 GT, I didn't like when Ford redesigned the rear, not sure how I feel about the front. Its slowly growing on me though, have to see it in person. 5.0 motor is awfully nice. I have to wait and see what is looks like lowered, rims & spoiler. Would have like just a little bit more rake in the front.I'm digging the GT500

As a rookie detailer, I do notice there are tons of curves on this baby. Definitely have to use smaller pads...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Ford Mustang-2015-gt500-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

The Mustangs are really starting to speak to me. In the past I was never a pony car fan, but the last gen of Mustang started to catch my eye, and this one does for sure.

The interior looks to be getting better too. In the past, the quality of materials and design was really sub-par in my eyes, but they have made several leaps forward recently.

I'm not convinced the whole eco-boost idea is the answer to the motoring world's needs for better fuel economy. In some applications (mostly cars) it's a great idea and does provide the best blend of performance and economy...others, not so much. Edmunds found during their long term test of a 2WD Eco-boost Explorer that the overall mileage fell below the claims and were about on par with the numbers for the standard V6. In that case, there is no reason to spend the extra money only to loose torque and towing capacity yet still get the same mileage as the less expensive and more powerful engine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The Mustangs are really starting to speak to me. In the past I was never a pony car fan, but the last gen of Mustang started to catch my eye, and this one does for sure.

The interior looks to be getting better too. In the past, the quality of materials and design was really sub-par in my eyes, but they have made several leaps forward recently.

I'm not convinced the whole eco-boost idea is the answer to the motoring world's needs for better fuel economy. In some applications (mostly cars) it's a great idea and does provide the best blend of performance and economy...others, not so much. Edmunds found during their long term test of a 2WD Eco-boost Explorer that the overall mileage fell below the claims and were about on par with the numbers for the standard V6. In that case, there is no reason to spend the extra money only to loose torque and towing capacity yet still get the same mileage as the less expensive and more powerful engine.
    I was once a chevy guy, now its all about Ford Racing!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the current body style, but this one simply looks like crap lol....

I think i will go with a Challenger

Post Thanks / Like

I like everything about it, but the front has to grow on me. I'm used to the cirlce headlight design. Great looking car!
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever been a Mustang guy, but this new one is making me drool!

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

Now which color do I want....

The 4 cylinder coming back im sure has more to do with its new "Global" marketing than satisfying any mustang enthusiasts because honestly anyone with a V6 mustang to me just bought a rental car (no offense if you have one) thats just the way I look at it. I dont want it to look like a muscle car I want it to BE a muscle car so anything other than the V8 is just wrong!

Now, that being said the comment about the EcoBoost Explorer and mileage...I get it sorta, in that application I would still go Eco Boost because the aftermarket can easily make up the power difference and the TQ curve on the turbo car WILL be much fatter than the NA car just the nature of the beast especially with a turbo.
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    "Every expert was once a beginner"

Post Thanks / Like

Not a big Mustang fan myself but that is kinda cool. I HATE HATE HATE what they did with the rear end panel lately, I too like the 05 design that big flat tail panel just isn't right for some reason. Nice lookin car though.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast