autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove Fine Scratches (tree branches mostly) Fairly New Vehicle?

Hi, Guys/Gals

I've tried Mcguires
    scratch concealer, 3M and turtle wax scratch concealer. At one point, used my Griot's Garage random orbit attached with an orange pad on 2/3 setting with a quarter size of scratch remover (concealer) on pad with no results. Before this I did all preparation. (See below).

The vehicle is painted white pearl and there's several scratches in the base coat.

My experience. I'm fairly new at detailing. I used to be one of the, I didn't know, that I didn't know, types when I came to detailing cars. Discovering, detailing vehicles is very sophisticated and expensive hobby as well........ But now I'm hooked and I love it!!

I'm not comfortable to use any kind of sandpaper or acetone without any guidance.

Preparation so far:
    used 3M 03900 (with my random orbit and by hand) claying and finished up with carnauba paste wax and then a sealant.

All looked really good until about three weeks ago. Some of the scratches reappeared. I'm not in no big hurry as the car is out of town and she'll be back in three weeks. I would like to have some ideas.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thank You,
    Kenny (Kenny94)

Post Thanks / Like
    If your finger nail can slide across the scratch and get stuck, you will need another form of correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove Fine Scratches (tree branches mostly) Fairly New Vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny94 View Post
    I've tried Mcguires scratch concealer

You mean Meguiar's ScratchX? If so, that's not that agressive. You could step it up to Ultimate Compound or M105.

The vehicle is painted white pearl and there's several scratches in the base coat.

In the base coat or the clear coat? If they're in the base coat, they aint coming out!

used 3M 03900 (with my random orbit and by hand) claying and finished up with carnauba paste wax and then a sealant.

Not in that order I hope? Should be Clay ---> Polish ---> Sealant ---> Wax
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like
    If your finger nail can slide across the scratch and get stuck, you will need another form of correction"

Actually, bitten all my finger nails off about this car..... Seriously, thank you for that tip...

"You mean Meguiar's ScratchX? If so, that's not that agressive."You could step it up to Ultimate Compound or M105."

Yes, Meguiar's ScratchX. Fantastic I'll grab some Ultimate Compound or M105. To have some in the future.

"In the base coat or the clear coat? If they're in the base coat, they aint coming out!"

It's in the Base-Coat Davey. You have answered my question. Thank you! Had to give it a shot and asked and both you pretty much gave me the answer. Thanks guys have a good

"Not in that order I hope? Should be Clay ---> Polish ---> Sealant ---> Wax"

Yes in that order. My previous post was a typo. Still getting used to this app on my iPad.
    Last edited by Kenny94; 10-04-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Code forum bbp

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet I can remove it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love's Auto View Post
    I bet I can remove it lol
    I bet you can! Aww, Shucks, you're in Hawaii, but the car is in S.C.... The main thing is, she was very happy to see her car looking like a diamond!

Again, thank you for your help Love's Auto and davey g-force!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, all the scratches are gone now, but other than four that is in the base paint, nothing I can do about this. I introduced Meguiar's M101 to the Acura applying it very sparingly with 6" Orange Polishing Pad.

I did tried Meguiar's ultimate compound it was not quite strong enough. So I start all over with this procedure:

Wash > Rinse > Dry > Iron X > Rinse > Clay Bar > Polish > Sealant. Then four hours later apply Carnauba Wax. The car looks like a diamond!! I'm talking VVS quality with a color D......

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, I did visit iTunes and purchase Mike Phillips' The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine" that e-book is jam-packed with all kinds of tips and knowledge in detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, all the scratches are gone now, but other than four that is in the base paint, nothing I can do about this.
    Unless this is a re-spray...

How did a scratch manage to get into the Base-Coat paint film...without first:
    having to go into, and then through, the Clear-coat paint film; which, thusly would:
    Leave its tell-tale whitish-looking-marking behind as an "omen/sign"?

Please advise. Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply Bob. As for the Acura three/four scratches, shaped like a X was done by a key or some instrument done purposely.

I know,,,,Why can't folks that want to do damage to somebody's car....Do something interesting like Piranha Swimming to get their kicks!

I know now, in the future anytime I have a question regarding detailing a vehicle. I'm going to start taking some good quality pictures so this help with questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast