autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint sealant suggestions...

I'm thinking I'll be on the hunt for a new paint sealant. So far I've used 3M Performance Finish, Menzerna Power Lock, and now Meguiar's ULW. I need some suggestions and advice on some really good paint sealants.

So far with the ULW, not really sure that I'm liking it. Why? The scent of it. It bothers me. I have no idea why, but it bothers me so much that I don't want to use it.

When I was using MPL, at first, it was great. Easy on, easy off, great slickness and water beading. But the more I used it, it seemed to fail me. Last time I ever used it, I stripped the paint of any wax, used Iron X, clay and then applied two coats of MPL 8 hours (or more) apart. Say about 3 weeks later, a couple of routine washes, driving through some heavy rain, the paint would not bead any water. It just SLOWLY sheeted off. I've heard sealants have a sheeting effect more so than beading, but damn, I'd run my clean hand over the clean paint and it felt as if no sealant was there. No slickness, no beading... very frustrating.

I used 3M PF for several years, and it seemed to really work well, but I was also not into detailing like I am now. Sometimes I wonder if I should just stick with what I know works or if I should just stop being so obsessed about it. I have no clue.

I've been looking at CG Jetseal 109, which is an "anti-corrosion" sealant, something I've never seen on any other paint sealants other than paint coatings, which is something I've been considering, but I like to experiment. Although, I just recently polished the hood of my car because I got some bird poo stains right after the last full detail, and I just noticed yet another new water spot. I'm working with factory paint here and it really sucks. My last car had hardly any factory paint left over and it was a lot stronger and more resistant as far as I could tell. Since the paint is silver, those little water spots can just stay there. In the direct sunlight, forget about finding defects. Seems like I can only find them under a street light at night.

What I'm looking for in a paint sealant is strength and durability. I seal the paint somewhat regularly, so I'm not looking for a miracle product that can last a year untouched. Most of the sealants I've used are good for at least 6 months and I still seem to use them at least every couple of months. I see lots of you guys post your beading shots and the paint will bead for months on end. It just doesn't seem to work like that for me. I sometimes wonder if the soft water I use is breaking the sealant down or maybe even the soap I use, which is CG Maxi Suds II, but it's a maintenance wash shampoo, and I use an ounce or so in a 5 gallon bucket.

One thing I don't like about certain sealants is cure time. Might sound silly, but the kinds of sealants that need overnight curing and can't be exposed to moisture within 24 hours, that won't work for me as I live in an apartment and I have to use my parent's garage for whatever detailing I do. If I ever have my own home, I'll let the stuff dry and cure all night, I don't care, but at the moment, it's not all that simple.

So now I'm looking for paint sealant suggestions. Please share any info you guys have. Break it all down, because I'm somewhat at a loss anymore. Almost wish I had a junker that I didn't have to take care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint sealant suggestions...

blackfire crystal seal
    prima hydro max

both easy to use sealants. the hydro max really stood out for me. as easy as mist on and wipe off. dont let that fool you though. its a long term sealant that works!

Prima Hydro MAX Super Spray Polymer
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I have jetseal not a big fan just order ammo skin can't wait For it

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I had thought about AMMO Skin, it's just very pricey.

Pro 4x, thanks for the Blackfire suggestions. Spray on coating with no buffing required?? Does it last as long as OC 2.0 or similar coatings? Is it as resistant to fallout and other contamination as OC 2.0? Does it need to be polished off? I see the 4 oz. bottle is only 20 bucks, pretty darn cheap for a paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    DG 105. Lasts up to a year with proper prep and maintenance with Aquawax. The best sealant I've ever tried and its about $10. It looks great too.

Bank on it. Use DG 601 mixed with it. 4 parts 105 to one part 601.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya it is on the high side I just ordered the creme too 134 bucks for both but I have most of his products and really like them so I'm OK with spending that Ill let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    I had thought about AMMO Skin, it's just very pricey.

Pro 4x, thanks for the Blackfire suggestions. Spray on coating with no buffing required?? Does it last as long as OC 2.0 or similar coatings? Is it as resistant to fallout and other contamination as OC 2.0? Does it need to be polished off? I see the 4 oz. bottle is only 20 bucks, pretty darn cheap for a paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Give the Klasse twins a try, very strong and will last up to a year. Maybe even consider putting on a coating if you work with the weather forecast, most coatings you only have to worry about the first three hours of curing time. Or you can try a combination, a coating for very light scratch and marring resistance and top with Klasse for a sacrificial layer that wears off.

The "anti corrosion" sounds like a marketing gimmick to me, as the point of all waxes, sealants and coatings is to cover the paint to prevent corrosion. Unless there is something that I'm missing, Jetseal is a acrylic coating very similar to Klasse (if not the same).

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried a sample of Wolfgang 3.0 on my hood this weekend, all I can say is wow, I'm a believer now. It was a noticeable difference. Super glossy. Really easy product to use too. Wipe off was a breeze.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Net Shield has always worked great and on windows, it's just tough to buff off.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I just tried a sample of Wolfgang 3.0 on my hood this weekend, all I can say is wow, I'm a believer now. It was a noticeable difference. Super glossy. Really easy product to use too. Wipe off was a breeze.
    Does it have a more natural gloss and shine? How does it smell? Can you let it dry longer if desired?

I may check it out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast