autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Review: Nano Skin Hydro Express

I was lucky enough to receive a virtually new bottle of Nano Skin Hydro Express (NS HS) as a total free gift from Wors (Ben):

It was really nice of him to send it to me, as I love spray wax / QD type of products. Actually, this is a "spray sealant" or "spray polymer" as NS calls it. The purpose of this "spray polymer" is to boost your wax/sealant, add some gloss, and help repel water. The product is a clear liquid and comes with an "on/off" sprayer - no stream/mist.

Here is the sig:

I decided to try this product out on top of Capture the Rapture. Sealant on top of wax? Doesn't make sense, does it? Well, it doesn't say "this product can't be used on top of a wax", so why not? Anyway, I find "going over" the car with something is mandatory after CTR (black car) as this wax is very oily / sticky and leaves some "wax holograms".

Honestly, I wasn't expecting too much from this product. Why? Well, for starters, a guy sent it to me for free, minus a few sprays. So, my assumption is he didn't like it. Second, there was a negative experience reported by one of the forum members with NS products and the company's reaction to said forum member's questions from the company's rep. Not the decon towels, but other liquid products in the line.

I've never bought any NS products for this reason. For a clay substitute I've been using the Chemical Guys "Clay Block" / Magna Sponge, which works great for me. But I figured I procured this stuff for nothing, the least I could do is give it a fair chance and do a review of it.

Basically, you spray it on and wipe it off, like any other QD. But, as we know, they are not all the same. The concentration of "polymers" in this product seem middle of the road. What I mean by that is, some spray sealants (like Dodo Red Mist Tropical & Sonax Brilliant Shine) require only the smallest spray to cover a panel. They are "quite concentrated". The NS HS requires an intermediate amount of spray to cover the panel. However, the "polymers" or protection in the product seem substantial, more substantial than other spray and wipe products - if that makes any sense.

This isn't a bad thing, in fact, it gives you more liquid to "play with" to help wipe off any dust that may have settled on the surface. Although this product is not intended to be a "cleaner" per se, I found it did a decent job of removing dust and fingerprints.

In reality, this product reminds me sort of a diluted WOWA sealant. It seems "diluted" enough so you can spread it well. After you spray it, it doesn't "haze" as much as it "disappears clear" into the paint like a WOWA. I found no problem using a single Cobra 600 gsm towel to apply this product to the whole car, as its pretty "non-finicky".

I was even able to use this product in the sun. Granted, I did get some very light streaking (on black) in one or two locations only, but other than that it worked well. This product reminds me of a WOWA in a sense that you want to spread it fast after you spray it, as it starts to flash. The faster you spread it the more area it covers, like a WOWA. Its starts to "disappear" or flash more by spreading it out, than buffing - which makes it pretty easy and enjoyable to use.

The product is slick, but not super slick like some other spray sealants. Its not sticky at all and smells like nothing. However, when you use it, you get the feeling your adding a "real sealant" to the the surface, not just a glorified quick detailer. I would say the description "spray polymer" that NS uses is pretty accurate.

Unfortunately, I used this product on my garage queen, so the only water effects on it I will see is when I wash it next. But, I get the feeling the product handles water well, as it does seem like a substantial sealant when you apply it.

NS claims this product continues curing for 24 hours and dries clear. They also claim it can be used on areas like chrome and glass - pretty much all surfaces. First on the curing, I buy that. As, the streak or two I noticed from using in the sun was only after the car sat for a day inside. It wasn't there when I applied it the previous day. So, the streak came out after it cured. I don't want to give you the impression this is a streaky product - because its not. I'm just saying, a streak or two popped up, but only after the product "cured" for a day. That streak was easily taken care of with another spray of NS HS and the same towel I used to apply it previously.

I also wanted to test this product on glass, as NS claims it can be used on glass and dries clear. I'm happy to say it worked well on glass and did dry clear. This is good news, because if its clear in your glass its clear on your paint. Getting it "clear" on glass was not hard either. This is where the WOWA type behavior comes in, as it almost disappeared into the glass on its own after spreading it out. A flip of the towel and a few wipes and it was gone.

So, to sum it up, I was quite happy with this product. It works well, very well. It add nice gloss to the paint, works pretty good as a QD, and dries clear on glass. Most of all its easy to use (even on black) and performs well in the sun. Its not the slickest product out there, but it does have some slickness to it. Its kind of a unique product, in the sense it seems like a QD / spray sealant / WOWA hybrid to me. It's an excellent post wash wax/sealant booster.

Also, my guess is it would work well as a drying aid. In actuality, the absence of a "stream/mist" sprayer is not an issue, as the sprayer provided works well with the product. The sprayer reminds me of the Chemical Guy's 16oz type sprayer, although it may not be exactly the same.

I do t think post use pictures really add much to a review of a product like this, as how is a picture really going to show what a spray polymer does. The car doesn't get wet, so I have no beading shots, but here is the car after using the product:

I will definitely purchase this product again when I run out. I like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Review: Nano Skin Hydro Express

Nice review. Ride looks very reflective.
    2013 Accord V6 coupe 6MT San Marino Red

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

So, to sum it up, I was quite happy with this product. It works well, very well. It add nice gloss to the paint, works pretty good as a QD, and dries clear on glass. Most of all its easy to use (even on black) and performs well in the sun. Its not the slickest product out there, but it does have some slickness to it. Its kind of a unique product, in the sense it seems like a QD / spray sealant / WOWA hybrid to me. It's an excellent post wash wax/sealant booster.

I will definitely purchase this product again when I run out. I like it a lot.
    Having found a product line and end results that I desire, I can comfortably say that I thoroughly enjoy your posts and threads. Seems that I get the experience vicariously through your words...sans the price of admission.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

swanicyouth, the M coupe looks great. Glad you enjoy the NS product. Thanks for posting the review.

Post Thanks / Like

That shine is amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey swani, how are ya.

How would you rate between this, Prima Hydro Max, and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - based on looks first, and longevity second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Hey swani, how are ya.

How would you rate between this, Prima Hydro Max, and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - based on looks first, and longevity second.
    Hydro and BSD are a bit better IMHO. Never used Hydro Max. It's hard to say about durability of a spray wax - but BSD beads like crazy for a while. Hydro is slick, glossy, and very easy to use.

But I still like Hydro Express. Really, they all are pretty good. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I haven't detailed anything for over a month now. All we get is snow. Tonight - more snow. Car in the picture is covered in salt dust now. Even when there is no snow - the dust from the road salt coats everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the feedback.

Tried BSD earlier around noon. At first it was so so. A few hours, however, I noticed how crisp the reflection is; reminiscent of Sonus Acrylic Glanz albeit muted. No flake pop. Nice and bright, but one-dimensional. The search for bling+cheap+easy continues... lol

Bummer about the condition. I'm a little annoyed with damp road from evening/early hour fog, but it's nothing compared to the stuff you guys are dealing with over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Morning,

Apart from sender's kindness and 'your lucky' to receive the product for review, I believe you were chosen mainly because you have a vast knowledge and always make very good reviews - this one is no different.

Thanks for commenting on this product, and sharing your thoughts.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review. I just did a detail with all Nanoskin stuff, and I must say, they were all very easy to use, except for the Nanocut polish which was hard to wipe off. I will be trying out their other spray polymer NanoShock when I wash it next. I hope I am as happy with it as you are with the Hydro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast