autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Truck, New to Detailing

Hello AGO,

Recently bought a new 2013 Ford F-150 Crew, and plan on having it forever so I have been reading up on how to properly maintain my paint. Can't ask questions while lurking, so I thought I would join up and get some opinions from the pros.

My goal here is to establish a regimen that will protect my paint from bugs and scratches and won't drive me crazy from massive commitments of time or money.

Thanks for all the resources already available, and in advance of any direct help you may provide me! Proud to be here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! What color did you get? I have the new blue jeans metallic. I know I'm not answering any of your q's but I'm definitely not a pro! Just a fellow f150 owner wishing you welcome!

Mike Phillips

Re: New Truck, New to Detailing

Hi BMart,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Take a read-through this, it will walk you through all the steps you want to do to see where you at and get you where you want to go...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

If you like having a book that goes over this then check this out...

Detailing How-To Book and Detailing How-To E-book by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Did they do the famous dealer prep detail before you got the keys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a pro here, but I recently bought a new vehicle and had to clay bar extensively just to get the paint ready for wax, it was covered in tree sap. I would plan on doing some type of clay bar, minor finishing polish, or paintwork cleansing lotion before wax. Gives you a good initial base to start with before applying sealant or wax and worth the extra step. It will probably save you time down the road.

NEW vehicles tend to spend the early stages of their life outdoors, in transit, and on dealer lots, exposed to the elements, without any type of protection........and I've yet to see a dealer properly detail a car before leaving, I'm sure there are exceptions, just haven't experience it on any of my new purchases.

Congrats on the purchase.....

PS: your next topic needs to ask everyone for the best wax, always fun to stir up the natives!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jpatchley View Post
    Welcome! What color did you get? I have the new blue jeans metallic. I know I'm not answering any of your q's but I'm definitely not a pro! Just a fellow f150 owner wishing you welcome!
    Oxford White! I had a black truck before this one, and didn't like how easy imperfections show, so now I'm a fan of white which poses its own challenges. Just had the new truck bed covered in black Line-X today, and the black-on-white scheme is really working for me. Only 600 miles, and loving every second. What trim do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi BMart,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Take a read-through this, it will walk you through all the steps you want to do to see where you at and get you where you want to go...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

If you like having a book that goes over this then check this out...

Detailing How-To Book and Detailing How-To E-book by Mike Phillips

Thank you so much Mike! I can't believe how involved you are here, you are such a great resource and inspiration for us all. I wish I could come to one of your classes, but I'm in the PNW.

I will definitely check out those links. Thanks again for all you do!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailGeeks View Post
    Did they do the famous dealer prep detail before you got the keys?
    Yes, but the paint actually looks really good. I'm no concours, but I have inspected it and, while it needs a clay-wash, I'm really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyBetty View Post
    Not a pro here, but I recently bought a new vehicle and had to clay bar extensively just to get the paint ready for wax, it was covered in tree sap. I would plan on doing some type of clay bar, minor finishing polish, or paintwork cleansing lotion before wax. Gives you a good initial base to start with before applying sealant or wax and worth the extra step. It will probably save you time down the road.

NEW vehicles tend to spend the early stages of their life outdoors, in transit, and on dealer lots, exposed to the elements, without any type of protection........and I've yet to see a dealer properly detail a car before leaving, I'm sure there are exceptions, just haven't experience it on any of my new purchases.

Congrats on the purchase.....

PS: your next topic needs to ask everyone for the best wax, always fun to stir up the natives!
    Agreed. Rail dust is to be expected on a new vehicle. I'm going to just enjoy washing it (properly) over the summer, and do a clay/finishing polish/seal/wax as soon as I get a DA, more knowledge, and proper chemicals (probably this Fall).

Oh, and I've had fun reading all the 'best wax' threads. I've only just recently pushed through the 'best soap' threads, and came out the other side with some aspirin and a bottle of DG 902. Ya, I have a feeling I'm just getting warmed up...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome & congrats on new PU mate !

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

Post a picture of your new truck when you get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, and congrats on the new truck!

Follow Mike P's advice, and you won't go wrong.

I use the DP line on my F-150, Poliseal followed by Max Wax after it cures, and Wheel seal on the rims. I wash with Optimum No Rinse, and use diluted ONR for a quick detailer, or Meg's QD. Occasionally use Meg's spray wax for touch-ups.

Dedicate good microfibers for drying, buffing, interior, and rims, and use a good mitt or sponge for washing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast