autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gum in/on Leather Heated Seat

Greetings,

Been a lurker here for a long time and have always been able to find the advice/answers I was seeking without having to post a plea for help - until today.
    Doing a Nissan Rogue with heated leather seats. Driver's seat has gum in/on it that has gotten smashed down into the perforations of the seat bottom. I used leather conditioner to remove as much as I could from the surface which worked very well and didn't damage or affect the integrity of the leather. The problem is, the gum that is in the perforations is really in there. Short of actually uinstitching the leather and using something to poke through each of the perforations thereby removing the gum, I can't think of any way to do it. If you have ANY tips or suggestions as to how I can solve this one, I'll be very grateful!

Really enjoy the fantastic information available here and the great guys and gals who make the forums here so great!

Thanks so much,

Steve
    Chandler, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gum in/on Leather Heated Seat

Welcome aboard..... I've never encountered what you are facing. I know Larry from AmmoNYC has a couple of vids on treating and cleaning leather seats. I'm sure Mike (and others) have some experience with this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

You can try laying a MF towel over the spot and heating it with an iron on a steam setting. As it melts us a fresh MF maybe a toddler soft toothbrush brush gently and wipe or peel the gum off.
    I never had that problem on leather but I used it on jeans and it worked.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

I don't know if a steamer/extracter would do it or not. I'm kind of wanting to know this too. I have perforated seats in my truck.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to say that I agree with the above, but I don't. Heat and gum will make a MESS!!!

Here is what I would do (assuming you are dealing with a small area). I would FREEZE the daylight out of that gum, either with a plastic bag full of ice (making sure not to wet the leather), or with one of those compressed air can. This will actually make the gum rock hard and less gummy, and will make the leather tight. I would then use a small sewing needle to pick out the gum out of each perforation.

I wish you luck!..... and let us know about the results (don't forget the pictures)

BTW

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I would love to say that I agree with the above, but I don't. Heat and gum will make a MESS!!!

Here is what I would do (assuming you are dealing with a small area). I would FREEZE the daylight out of that gum, either with a plastic bag full of ice (making sure not to wet the leather), or with one of those compressed air can. This will actually make the gum rock hard and less gummy, and will make the leather tight. I would then use a small sewing needle to pick out the gum out of each perforation.

I wish you luck!..... and let us know about the results (don't forget the pictures)

BTW
    ^^^^^^

I learned of the: "Freezing-the-Gum" technique...
    when I was a lot younger and even more "foolish-er" than I am nowadays...

TO WIT:
    A quite ambidextrous bar maid, at one my favorite watering-holes, used ice cubes to remove
    some chewing gum that had, somehow, become inadvertently affixed to my pants.

This trick...worked very nicely.
    (It was great to have, onsite, one so well-endowed in this knowledge-base.)

Afterwards...
    I must have been mumbling aloud...because:
    She said that this gum-removal treatment of hers had never failed to work,
    regardless of the material-goods it was stuck to.

The only drawback was that I had to have a few more libations in order for the:
    Wetness to disappear...before making the trek to the homestead....

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ^^^^^^

I learned of the: "Freezing-the-Gum" technique...
    when I was a lot younger and even more "foolish-er" than I am nowadays...

TO WIT:
    A quite ambidextrous bar maid, at one my favorite watering-holes, used ice cubes to remove
    some chewing gum that had, somehow, become inadvertently affixed to my pants.

This trick...worked very nicely.
    (It was great to have, onsite, one so well-endowed in this knowledge-base.)

Afterwards...
    I must have been mumbling aloud...because:
    She said that this gum-removal treatment of hers had never failed to work,
    regardless of the material-goods it was stuck to.

The only drawback was that I had to have a few more libations in order for the:
    Wetness to disappear...before making the trek to the homestead....

Bob
    ROFL..... I seriously thought you were going in the direction of talking about the ill effect of ice on "human leather".

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue when my son sat on some gum and then sat on my car's leather seat. I used scotch tape. I went thru half a roll of tape but it all came off. I used a needle to just slight pull the gum up from the holes and then used the sticky side of the tape. I kept dabbing it and using clean tape until it all came out. It worked great and you can't tell there was gum all over my seat. I did do it on a hot day to help the gum stick to the tape. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

BTW
    YES
    Simply put.
    I have used one of those aerosol "gum freezer" cans with the red straw and a pick made for dentistry work and after some time it worked great. It takes patience or sure!

Post Thanks / Like

I have done similar jobs using my Portable steamer, a clean MFTowel, there are good citrus based cleaners like De-Solv-it
    Works great, add little bit into the mftowel lay it down a few seconds were the gum residue is, Then with the steam gun, start working The affected area. Desolvit + Steam sure will work!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast