autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First Impressions; The Edge System

My only experience up to now has been with Meguiars products and the 7424 and a Makita rotary. I was able to get rid of swirls and scratches but have always felt that there was a slight hazing that I could not get rid of (on a black car) and the pads did not seem to hold up that well. I bought the Edge system from DetailMeister Jason this week with four pads. Last time I was there I got some XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover. He said it should work, so naturally I ignored him.

However, today I tried that XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover with the white Edge pad and it put that final j-eweling on the the finish I have been looking for. I think part of this was that I was able to go to 6 with the Edge system on the DA, whereas Meguiars does not recommend going beyond 5 with their pads (due to, I believe, heat transfer that damages the backing plate and pads). So hats off and thanks to Jason.

And so I have this questipn--on the Meguiars site they talk alot about how their products have "diminishing abrasives" --in other words, they breakdown as you work them. Is this so for the XMT and other products, Poorboys, etc. that I see advertised on AG? Anybody have another product/pad suggestion for that final j-eweling-up step.

Post Thanks / Like
    most modern polishes use diminishing abrasives, as much easier on paint. It also is a new catch phrase as many have been using abrasives that break down for years. Marketing 101 ---

I believe I have discussed the benefits on j eweling the surface on many an occasion. With a final polish and a finishing pad (grey or blue) you are simply buffing the finish to diamond like qualities. The benefit to this is also that if you used a harsh pad or compound that left micro-marring, then this usually can remove/lessen it also.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    most modern polishes use diminishing abrasives, as much easier on paint. It also is a new catch phrase as many have been using abrasives that break down for years. Marketing 101 ---

I believe I have discussed the benefits on j eweling the surface on many an occasion. With a final polish and a finishing pad (grey or blue) you are simply buffing the finish to diamond like qualities. The benefit to this is also that if you used a harsh pad or compound that left micro-marring, then this usually can remove/lessen it also.
    First. a correction. It was #1, but I called it "Fine" and it was "Ultra Fine"

Second. You have talked about j eweling BUT I could not find the product/pad combo to do it before now. Yes, I got decent results--got rid of swirls and scratches--but I did not have the clarity I had hoped for.

I Finished with Meg's 81 by hand, then Meg's 21, and tomorrow I will put on Meg's 26 or Souveran. I only did the trunk lid.

Also it would be nice if the filter could be changed to permit use of the word j eweling.
    Last edited by BlackCoupe; 05-29-2006 at 05:10 PM.