autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is least aggressive way to remove VERY fine scratches

Hi all...I have searched the forum and have not really found the answer to my question. I have a 2011 Mustang that is bright red. The paint looks flawless until it is sunny, then there are very light scratches, probably from washing. There are visible only at certain angles. I just bought a Flex 3401. Would Meguiars SwirlX be too aggressive for such light scratches? I have waxed with Mother's Carnuba, but they still show up. It has not been clayed as it doesn't need that yet.

I alos have some Meguirs Mirror Glaze Cleaner Wax. Would that work with the Flex prior to Carnuba wax?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is least aggressive way to remove VERY fine scratches

Meguire's ultimate compound will work and not hurt your paint if used with a soft pad. It is "pad dependent" - meaning if used with a soft pad, it's a nice polish, with a aggressive pad, it's a compound. And your micro scratches are a lot harder to get out than you think. Paint is hard - pretty hard to scratch and hard to correct. It needs a bit of cut....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

I would personally start with M205 Finishing Polish and either a polishing pad or finishing pad and then evaluate the results. If needed, M205 is great with a Light Cutting pad as well. That should take care of any "very light scratches" that you have. Remember to top with protection after polishing

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I would personally start with M205 Finishing Polish and either a polishing pad or finishing pad and then evaluate the results. If needed, M205 is great with a Light Cutting pad as well. That should take care of any "very light scratches" that you have. Remember to top with protection after polishing

Would it be less abrasive to go with 205 and a MF towel by hand for a small scratch. Just wondering...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good article Mike wrote.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...prise-you.html

SwrilX will work (I prefer M205). your 3401 will do the trick as well. What pads do you have? Try a polishing pad or even a waxing pad to see it it gives you the results your looking for. Speed 4-5 should be good.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Quick responses! Thanks so much for the help! There are so many products out there and so much information, it can be a little overwhelming.

rmagnus - thanks for the link to that information. That helps a lot! As for pads, my Flex came with a orange cutting pad, the white polishing pad and a red ultrasoft one. For the least aggrssive combo would I use M205 on the red pad, followed up with wax?

Post Thanks / Like

A very fine polish like m205 or menz SF4500 with a white pad, might even get away with a black pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11RaceRedGT View Post
    Wow! Quick responses! Thanks so much for the help! There are so many products out there and so much information, it can be a little overwhelming.

rmagnus - thanks for the link to that information. That helps a lot! As for pads, my Flex came with a orange cutting pad, the white polishing pad and a red ultrasoft one. For the least aggrssive combo would I use M205 on the red pad, followed up with wax?
    You'd going to need at lease 4-5 of each pad that you are going to use if you plan on doing it in one day